Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a Live and Learn Process with Solar and Battery storage. Owning an EV. 1,2 or 3 off them. This is a new life style. I’m just glad I’m here For it. I just got driven to the corner store. I ran out of Beer. Astros game. 😆
FSD is good enough for me. Right now and it’s worth every Penny. I complain but if my average electric Bill is $50-$60 a month and I haven’t had a power outage. Since I got my system installed. Then I am Winning!!! 😆
I pay my PV and Battery note. I can afford it and I’m good. Anyone thinking about getting Solar and Battery storage. Like Nike. Just Do it. It’s better than your current situation. 😆
Tax credit was great. I still have meat on the bone to use next year. I’m currently working on my Off grid Solar System and Battery storage. For my backyard shed. I chose The Ecoflow system. It seemed like the easiest start. You can also get a Tax credit. When you purchase a 3 kWh battery storage system or higher. You can run Air conditioning and lights. Power tools and a laptop. On a small system. Then if you go camping or traveling out of town. You can take it with you and trickle charge your EV if need be.
The Rabbit Hole is HUGE!

Reactions: DrewHou and TJ21CT
Just kind of curious how long the normal wait time is before first contact from Tesla after placing an order and uploading the utility bill. Is it days, weeks, months? Just trying to set my expectations.
Yep, PW2 is what they sell now. Tesla should be able to look at your utility bill and your advisor can help you with knowing how many will serve you best.

As far as people saying you can not grid charge a powerwall in Texas, they must be mistaken since I charge mine on the grid every single night. I know there used to be some stipulations around grid charging and the tax rebate but those are no longer in effect. However, your tesla advisor should be able to give you those details. Congrats and let us know how it goes! Would be great to hear the details of the process for PW only installs for others in our area.

Reactions: DrewHou
Just kind of curious how long the normal wait time is before first contact from Tesla after placing an order and uploading the utility bill. Is it days, weeks, months? Just trying to set my expectations.
So I placed my order on June 4th and had my advisor call on June 15th. However, there was a few steps on my account I completed online ahead of time and actually reached out early to confirm a few things. However, I was also doing solar and we were going back and forth about panels prior to my scheduled advisor call.

You should be able to reach out on the Tesla website under your account and tell them you would like to chat about a few things and they will setup a call.

It’s a Live and Learn Process with Solar and Battery storage. Owning an EV. 1,2 or 3 off them. This is a new life style. I’m just glad I’m here For it. I just got driven to the corner store. I ran out of Beer. Astros game. 😆
FSD is good enough for me. Right now and it’s worth every Penny. I complain but if my average electric Bill is $50-$60 a month and I haven’t had a power outage. Since I got my system installed. Then I am Winning!!! 😆
I pay my PV and Battery note. I can afford it and I’m good. Anyone thinking about getting Solar and Battery storage. Like Nike. Just Do it. It’s better than your current situation. 😆
Tax credit was great. I still have meat on the bone to use next year. I’m currently working on my Off grid Solar System and Battery storage. For my backyard shed. I chose The Ecoflow system. It seemed like the easiest start. You can also get a Tax credit. When you purchase a 3 kWh battery storage system or higher. You can run Air conditioning and lights. Power tools and a laptop. On a small system. Then if you go camping or traveling out of town. You can take it with you and trickle charge your EV if need be.
The Rabbit Hole is HUGE!
I was just thinking about building a covered area in my backyard for a grill and seating and stuff but was thinking about how expensive it would be running power to it… now you have me thinking about this solution. Going to have to do some more research haha.

Reactions: Jones1
I was just thinking about building a covered area in my backyard for a grill and seating and stuff but was thinking about how expensive it would be running power to it… now you have me thinking about this solution. Going to have to do some more research haha.
With the Ecoflow Generation 2 product line. Delta 2 , Max 2 and Pro 2 . Being all LFP batteries. It’s rated at 80% or more capacity for 10 years they say. I ordered Delta Max 2 with 200 watts of solar panels. Just to get started. I will add more later. Once I get the system going. I already had some portable ac units. I’m gonna start the solar system install after I finish painting and installing shelves. I’ll keep an update going. 😆

• Love
It was within a week or shorter. Like 3 days. You get an updated plan , size and pricing offer. My original 10kWh system was cheaper than it was originally offered at. So I chose the 12kWh system. I never got a call. Until it was time for install. Only emails or messages. The Tesla Way. 😆

So can someone explain why 3 days this month my “arch” has a flat top? It’s not days in a row but just 3 random days this month have this pattern and I never seen this happen before.

I had read about “clipping” before but it seems that’s caused by reaching the max on the inverters and that can’t be my case since I have 9.2kW in solar and two 7.6 inverters (PW+)

Is there something else I am missing or misunderstanding here.

Attachments

• IMG_5101.png
    IMG_5101.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Jones1
So can someone explain why 3 days this month my “arch” has a flat top? It’s not days in a row but just 3 random days this month have this pattern and I never seen this happen before.

I had read about “clipping” before but it seems that’s caused by reaching the max on the inverters and that can’t be my case since I have 9.2kW in solar and two 7.6 inverters (PW+)

Dunno, I’m looking outside my window and we do have a kind of gray haze sitting over Houston atm. Mine today looks a little like that with a cloud that went by too. Yesterday I peaked at 4.2kW for the first time in months and today it dropped back down to 3.5 kW

Attachments

• IMG_3874.png
    IMG_3874.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou

I have one particular solar panel that is behaving like that. On a sunny day, all the surrounding panels produce 1.3-4 kwh at a particular time, and
that panel is usually under production at less than 1 kwh; but sometimes I found it is only producing as low as 27 wh and remains at that level for hours. I scheduled my installer to come to check it out, they say it is likely caused by clipping but won't know for sure until they check it out on-site.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
I have one particular solar panel that is behaving like that. On a sunny day, all the surrounding panels produce 1.3-4 kwh at a particular time, and
that panel is usually under production at less than 1 kwh; but sometimes I found it is only producing as low as 27 wh and remains at that level for hours. I scheduled my installer to come to check it out, they say it is likely caused by clipping but won't know for sure until they check it out on-site.
Interesting I need to prob look at some of the more in depth data at a panel level. Hopefully it is just a fluke but if you don’t mind report back if the installer says it something other than clipping.

I am also wondering if heat could cause this to happen. Idk 🤷

I thought clipping would be more of a flat line. Like a dc wave sign. Not sure. I’ve noticed clouds at my house. When looking on the cameras today.

1693520924006.png

Created a thread but figured I'd ask here too since we're in Houston.

We recently moved into our new home and were considering going solar with powerwalls, but would love some input from the experts on here :)

Current situation:
  • 2 story, 3800 sqft
    • 2 AC units
    • Heat is natural gas
    • Stove is natural gas
  • Recently married so historical energy usage may not be 100% accurate, but I'm estimating about 1000-1500 kW consumption in the colder months and 1500-2000 kW in the warmer months
  • We typically pay anywhere from $200 to $350/month for electricity, but this is heavily dependent on how many days I work from home etc.
  • 1 EV currently (MY) but will most likely be adding a Model 3 in the next couple months
Used the online tool to build a system and it's recommending a 19.44 kW system, and I plan to install 3 powerwalls. Total price is about 72k before any incentives.

I'm struggling with the decision, primarily based on price, but wanted some input from those who've had theirs for a while. Any regrets?

Created a thread but figured I'd ask here too since we're in Houston.

We recently moved into our new home and were considering going solar with powerwalls, but would love some input from the experts on here :)

Current situation:
  • 2 story, 3800 sqft
    • 2 AC units
    • Heat is natural gas
    • Stove is natural gas
  • Recently married so historical energy usage may not be 100% accurate, but I'm estimating about 1000-1500 kW consumption in the colder months and 1500-2000 kW in the warmer months
  • We typically pay anywhere from $200 to $350/month for electricity, but this is heavily dependent on how many days I work from home etc.
  • 1 EV currently (MY) but will most likely be adding a Model 3 in the next couple months
Used the online tool to build a system and it's recommending a 19.44 kW system, and I plan to install 3 powerwalls. Total price is about 72k before any incentives.

I'm struggling with the decision, primarily based on price, but wanted some input from those who've had theirs for a while. Any regrets?

With Tesla’s systems and ordering procedure in particular, it is difficult to add to your system after the fact, while staying in the same ecosystem. I would get as big an installation as practical up front.