Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1692925906661.png

Anyone with Free Night plan knows why 1 one of my gateway operates as expected (filling PWs to 100% every night and feed the home until 7AM the next from grid) while my other 2 gateways only fill PWs to some random 70% and my batteries power the home until the sun comes up.

I have the same plan set up in each system. They are 2 inverters, 2 PWs.

Reactions: DrewHou
Anyone with Free Night plan knows why 1 one of my gateway operates as expected (filling PWs to 100% every night and feed the home until 7AM the next from grid) while my other 2 gateways only fill PWs to some random 70% and my batteries power the home until the sun comes up.

Not sure why, but that sounds similar to the behavior I had at the begining. For some reason, the PW doesn’t like having 0 for buy and 3c for sell during off peak. It’s trying to “hoard” the cheap power or something. Try having same buy and sell rate for off peak.

Reactions: DrewHou and EL0NTRK
Not sure why, but that sounds similar to the behavior I had at the begining. For some reason, the PW doesn’t like having 0 for buy and 3c for sell during off peak. It’s trying to “hoard” the cheap power or something. Try having same buy and sell rate for off peak.
Thank you. I have the same plan detail on Gateway 1 (0$ buy rate off peak) and it's working perfectly. I just changed the buy rate to 0.03$ for off peak and see what happens.

New here, first post. Want to install a couple of PWs to use as backup power only. No solar. Just charge from the grid and provide whole house backup when the power goes out. There must be something wrong with this concept because I can’t find anyone doing that.
Aside from being expensive, what else is wrong with this idea?

So I had mine do this randomly this week too. I just increased the backup at night to 100% and let it charge all the way and then put the backup % back down after that. That fixed it and it’s been working perfectly after that.

Like @wiltoking said I also had this issue in the beginning as well but got it to act correctly after forcing it a couple of times with the backup settings. Seems strange but seems like it “learns” what you expect it to do… that or it just gets confused and this tricks it back. 🤷

Anyways that’s been my experience.

Reactions: EL0NTRK
New here, first post. Want to install a couple of PWs to use as backup power only. No solar. Just charge from the grid and provide whole house backup when the power goes out. There must be something wrong with this concept because I can’t find anyone doing that.
Aside from being expensive, what else is wrong with this idea?
I think there is a lot to take into consideration. How much your power usage is, how many PWs you are looking to purchase, how many hours / days you want backup for… all that determines what to expect and any potential downfalls.

Personally for me, I prefer having my backup source not having a true hard limit… with solar even if I deplete the PWs I can charge them back up if the outage is for a long timeframe. With some very small changes (cutting back AC) I could technically run indefinitely without the grid.

I think there is a lot to take into consideration. How much your power usage is, how many PWs you are looking to purchase, how many hours / days you want backup for… all that determines what to expect and any potential downfalls.

Personally for me, I prefer having my backup source not having a true hard limit… with solar even if I deplete the PWs I can charge them back up if the outage is for a long timeframe. With some very small changes (cutting back AC) I could technically run indefinitely without the grid.
That only works if you produce enough solar. In the dead of winter, with storms, I am lucky to produce 5hwh in a day. No way I could live off of that, even with turning most stuff off. Thats when my generator would take over.

That only works if you produce enough solar. In the dead of winter, with storms, I am lucky to produce 5hwh in a day. No way I could live off of that, even with turning most stuff off. Thats when my generator would take over.
True, which also would depend on if someone has electric heat or gas heat. So many variables. I averaged about 20kwh a day in the winter and have about 4 days of backup with my span panel in the winter time (gas heat)… so what works for me definitely won’t work for others. So even if I have a few bad days of no sun I could theoretically still be fine. Granted I hope I don’t have to find out this winter… tired of replacing thousands of dollars worth of plants every year from ice 😂

So I had mine do this randomly this week too. I just increased the backup at night to 100% and let it charge all the way and then put the backup % back down after that. That fixed it and it’s been working perfectly after that.

Like @wiltoking said I also had this issue in the beginning as well but got it to act correctly after forcing it a couple of times with the backup settings. Seems strange but seems like it “learns” what you expect it to do… that or it just gets confused and this tricks it back. 🤷

Anyways that’s been my experience.
Thanks. I did it last night and get it filled up to 100%.
I didnt lower the backup reserve level down until this morning when i wake up and see that the grid is powering the house at 7.20am instead of using battery after 7am.

I think when you lower the battery reserve down it will power the house with battery instead of power with grid from night till 7am.

What did you see after you lower back up level down? Did grid still power home ?

Any luck with the behavior changing? As others have said, it does sort itself out later on as it “learns” but no idea why.
I changes the buy rate to the same sell rate but it makes no difference. I have to make my back up reserve level to 100% to force PW to grid charge to 100%.
The downside is you have to lower it again everyday. Maybe it will learn after a few days.

Thanks. I did it last night and get it filled up to 100%.
I didnt lower the backup reserve level down until this morning when i wake up and see that the grid is powering the house at 7.20am instead of using battery after 7am.

I think when you lower the battery reserve down it will power the house with battery instead of power with grid from night till 7am.

What did you see after you lower back up level down? Did grid still power home ?
I want to say I manually did it in the beginning for a couple of nights and after that it started to work as expected. At 7am switches from grid to battery and 9pm switches right back to the grid without having to touch a thing. Other than last week where it suddenly wanted to be weird for one day it’s been working perfectly for months and I have the sell rate on both peak and off-peak.

I wish Tesla would do a better job explaining how these things work because I am just guessing it learns based on my experience. I would love to see Tesla allow more control over how the system operates because it can definitely be maddening not knowing. Especially if it changes behavior and you are not paying attention to it daily.

Attachments

• IMG_5013.png
    IMG_5013.png
    302.6 KB · Views: 34
I want to say I manually did it in the beginning for a couple of nights and after that it started to work as expected. At 7am switches from grid to battery and 9pm switches right back to the grid without having to touch a thing. Other than last week where it suddenly wanted to be weird for one day it’s been working perfectly for months and I have the sell rate on both peak and off-peak.

I wish Tesla would do a better job explaining how these things work because I am just guessing it learns based on my experience. I would love to see Tesla allow more control over how the system operates because it can definitely be maddening not knowing. Especially if it changes behavior and you are not paying attention to it daily.
Can you post your plan setting in the app? Can you go back to when you manually did it and see if grid powering the house throughout the night after pw is full.
If it is not too much to ask. Thank you.

Can you post your plan setting in the app? Can you go back to when you manually did it and see if grid powering the house throughout the night after pw is full.
If it is not too much to ask. Thank you.
Yeah no problem. Attached is my plan settings.

Also I went back to the day I manually had to correct things and looks like that day the PWs were charged to 75% instead of 100% but the house remained on the grid. I happened to actually catch this pretty quickly though. The PWs stopped at 75% at 10:30pm and I noticed it and took action by 11:30pm but it does seem the house stayed on grid. Once I forced the charge to 100% everything was good and the house remained on grid until 7am the next morning.

Hope this info helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5016.png
    IMG_5016.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: EL0NTRK
Well right now I am getting the strongest rain I have seen in months! I noticed lately my panels looked dusty and dirty but I have no easy way to get to them. Hoping this gives them a good bath!

On that side of things, for people that have had their systems for a while. How often are you having them cleaned and any recommendations on who to call up when I need that done?

Well right now I am getting the strongest rain I have seen in months! I noticed lately my panels looked dusty and dirty but I have no easy way to get to them. Hoping this gives them a good bath!

On that side of things, for people that have had their systems for a while. How often are you having them cleaned and any recommendations on who to call up when I need that done?
I cleaned the ones I could reach. With my Pressure Washer two weeks ago. I will be buying a extension and brush. Like some one had recommended. A few months back.

I was drilling holes in my new storage shed. When it started pouring down. I ran in the house. My wife told me the power must have went out. For the PW less neighbors. I didn’t get a Grid down notice. My wife saw the lights flash. I’m back on grid. Charging to 50%. Just in case.

Last edited: