Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s actually what I am afraid of happening over time. We all move to electric everything and then they find a way to charge you alarming amounts even if you have solar. Fingers crossed that’s not the case but I can’t imagine electric providers going quietly.
I agree

Christmas Day. I had only 2-3 cousin’s and my niece. Want to get in the Tesla. They are younger or close to my age. This it out of 40-50 people I saw that day. The youth will be more attracted to the Tech and the Possibilities. While my mother , brother , uncle’s , aunt’s and older in laws. Will not want to see or hear anything about it. I believe Solar is just like that. I have a neighborhood full of roofs with Solar panels. But all of those homeowners are 40 or younger. I think it will 10-20 years. Before the majority of people relay the benefits. Of energy from the Sun. That’s really Sad. It gives the earlier adopters to equip their homes at a more affordable cost. I know the price of Batteries and panels. Are going down. They say. The installation and interest rates. May not go down for a while. Electricity will go up. When I first moved to Houston. I paid 6-7 cents total per kWh. There were multiple free nights and weekends planned. Not anymore. Us early adopters have to take advantage of our situation now. Free charging won’t be everywhere. Like it is now.

Reactions: DrewHou
That’s actually what I am afraid of happening over time. We all move to electric everything and then they find a way to charge you alarming amounts even if you have solar. Fingers crossed that’s not the case but I can’t imagine electric providers going quietly.
That’s what happened in Hawaii. At first they offered tax credits to get people to sign up for solar. They started off with net metering, and got rid of it in 2015. For the lucky people grandfathered into the old program, HECO keeps track of their excess solar production and uses that to cover when they pull from the grid. HECO also started out with a low $7.00 monthly charge for solar customers, and they’ve continued to raise that price every year. The goal over here is to pull absolutely nothing from the grid. I have my powerwalls set to 95% self powered, and I turned off storm watch because it pulled a ridiculous amount from the grid during the day when I was getting a ton of solar and we were never in any danger of losing power. I stare at the Tesla app all throughout the day to make sure we don’t pull from the grid. I should have got more panels and powerwalls when I got my system. We are waiting on a M3 to be delivered, and I know we will need more power to charge the car.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
I’m glad I listen to my wife. I got a couple of cheap drones for my kids. I had to climb a fence already to get one back. They will not be using my DJI drone. 😆 My drone is only for the Solar panels and roof check. 😂
🤣 good to know I have the responsibility level of a child… actually worse because you was able to recover it… mine however is probably a part of some alligator nest by now. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: Jones1
Shell MP2 solar bill Including cancelation fee.

69FE916F-33B7-4EED-9FEB-29DE0E2D85AE.jpeg

This bill is so depressing… I was born and raised in Houston, and all of my family still lives there. Hawaii has been our home for the past 11 years, and our electricity costs are the highest in the nation. We finally broke down and got 24 Tesla panels and two powerwalls. They charge .42¢ kWh here! Our minimum charge from HECO even if we don’t use a single kw from the grid is $26.40. They don’t have any special deals for solar customers. They charge you .42¢ kWh for everything you use from the grid, and they will give you a whopping .10¢ kwh for what you sell to them. I know people with solar that still have electric bills that are over $500 a month.

I think San Diego has the highest rates in the nation now. On-Peak for anyone without solar assuming you use more than 130% baseline (I've never been under baseline) is 54c/kWh now in the winter. Even under 130% baseline is 44c/kWh. Super Off-Peak is 36c/46c (under/over). You don't want me to get started during the summer months (I expect 70c+ in 2023). (This is on the default TOU-DR-1).

Yeah, you need solar/energy storage in a lot of places now I think due to TOU.

From everything I've read in Hawaii though, a lot of their charges sorta make sense and their policies seem less abusive vs. CA. Of course, that's not saying much comparing with CA. Hawaii is an island though. I think early solar adopters in Hawaii are probably doing pretty well still? If the monthly fee is the same for everyone, then at least that's fair. Looks like HECO is still a for profit/shareholder corporation though so I have doubts. Did more reading and found KIUC with much lower rates (Kauai Island Utility Cooperative...KIUC operates as a not-for-profit organization that is owned by its members and governed by an elected board of directors.).

Looks like their neighbor KIUC has lower rates being community owned (38c).

I still think that's the best option eventually for CA. Start with certain areas willing to take the time/risk/$$ and roll the dice. Can't be much worst than local IOUs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
View attachment 889809
Random grid outage… these moments just make me feel like all this is worth it. Grids out but I am watching TV and can for 2 days even if there’s no sunlight. No way I can ever go back now haha.
I never thought I would get excited about my lights flashing at my house. I look around. Grab my phone and check to see if I’m on PW. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou
I am watching the Tesla Electric plan closely so when I get my PTO, i can consider if it is a good plan for my case.
I’m definitely going to keep it for a year. Just to get the full length data. On how my bills come out. If they’re going to make any changes. Also to see if I’m gonna owe a lot of money or get a lot of money back.

Just started my first day. At a new location. No free charging. Working for a big oil company. lol Well, not working for them but working at the location. I’m union. I work for my brothers and sisters lol.

I’m definitely going to keep it for a year. Just to get the full length data. On how my bills come out. If they’re going to make any changes. Also to see if I’m gonna owe a lot of money or get a lot of money back.

Just started my first day. At a new location. No free charging. Working for a big oil company. lol Well, not working for them but working at the location. I’m union. I work for my brothers and sisters lol.
Lol One of my brothers works for Valero, and another one works for Kinder Morgan. They both said there is no way they could drive a Tesla to work. Their co-workers would never let them live it down.

• Funny
Lol One of my brothers works for Valero, and another one works for Kinder Morgan. They both said there is no way they could drive a Tesla to work. Their co-workers would never let them live it down.

I work for a Kinder competitor. A lot of us have electric cars at the office actually. Natural Gas plays a big role in power generation; increased electrification of transportation is a growth driver for the industry.

Same concept applies to coal if we’re being honest. If you’re a coal miner, you should be all in on electric cars. Associated gas from oil production has partially driven the historically low nat gas pricing we have been enjoying. The low nat gas pricing has basically disrupted coal out of the power market. So if you’re a coal miner and you drive an ICE car, you are acting against your own self interests.

😂
My Daddy’s Daddy. Mommas Daddy and all my uncles worked at or retired from Oil or DuPont. None of them own or will drive a Tesla. Their kids. It’s a different story. The grandkids love my Tesla and want to go for rides. Any families member under 40. Well most. Are planning on buying a Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Wahiawahi
I work for a Kinder competitor. A lot of us have electric cars at the office actually. Natural Gas plays a big role in power generation; increased electrification of transportation is a growth driver for the industry.

Same concept applies to coal if we’re being honest. If you’re a coal miner, you should be all in on electric cars. Associated gas from oil production has partially driven the historically low nat gas pricing we have been enjoying. The low nat gas pricing has basically disrupted coal out of the power market. So if you’re a coal miner and you drive an ICE car, you are acting against your
😂
My Daddy’s Daddy. Mommas Daddy and all my uncles worked at or retired from Oil or DuPont. None of them own or will drive a Tesla. Their kids. It’s a different story. The grandkids love my Tesla and want to go for rides. Any families member under 40. Well most. Are planning on buying a Tesla.
My family is the same. I don’t know what the names of all of the refineries are anymore, but I’m one of 15 kids and most of the kids, grandkids, cousins, etc… all work or worked at one of the refineries. My dad was born in Orange, my mom is from Port Arthur, and our family is spread all over SE Texas. My Valero brother lives in “Stinkadena” Aka Pasadena. He would definitely buy a Tesla and even looked into getting solar panels and powerwalls, but he would never drive an electric car to work. It would be his little secret. Lol

I’m from Port Arthur.
My Brother works at Valero in Port Arthur. My Cousin works at Motiva. I have a few family members that worked or retired from Motiva. My uncle worked at DuPont in Orange. Yes. My brother wants Solar. But he is the same. He would drive his SL550 to the plant. Before he drives a Tesla there. 😆

• Love
Reactions: Wahiawahi
Tesla Electric Plan Update.

Still no Bill or Statement.
I decided to change my Tesla Scheduled vehicle charging to 11:45 pm. That way I’ll drain about 40-50% of my PW during the night. I have my Backup/ TE mode set to 25/75. I’m thinking. Since I’m not Charging at work for free anymore. . I can pull a few free kWh’s into the vehicle. My commute. Looks like it’s 21kwh’s per day. I’m currently producing from my solar. What my home is using with charging an EV. Home Usage is 193kwh and Solar production is 183kwh.

Reactions: wiltoking