Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this plan states that you get credit for electricity used at night. Man don't want that...it should be straight up $0 (i.e. no charge). The rates have dropped significantly compared to earlier in the year. Even Reliant Free Nights is same rate now which is ~24 Cents for use during day. This plan is 3 year which is great, but concerned about credit based accounting/billing. We will never use up the credit received for night usage
View attachment 950698

View attachment 950700
I think you misunderstood about the "credit you get at nights. It only means it's free. Hope my bill in June can help.

From Tesla app, we used about 2500kWh in last period.
1687707646984.png

Idk if it’s the app or me being on iOS Beta but I can’t see these except on the web…

Anyways, that’s good news for ppl not on a free nights plan. Especially if they have more than one EV. I would be interested to see how big of a solar system you would need for the excess credit to cover the monthly charge.
Wow. Bro. You are Brave. I haven’t did an IOS Beta. In about 7 years. My alarm didn’t work on the beta. I was almost late for work. I never tried the Beta again. 😆
I have one iPhone and I alway have a Android (Pixel). So I don’t have an extra iPhone to try it on. My job would be upset. If I put beta on my work iPhone. 😆

When did you switch from Reliant Free Nights? I need to look up Just Energy..
Switched over a couple of months ago just about to get my second bill probably tomorrow.
Now the app won’t allow us to leave the off peak rate blank or Zero. So have to manually change settings in app every morning and every night. Once you do it for a week or two the algo in the system understands the behavior and you can then set up to 0% back up. And after few months you will need to train the system again
Yeah this is the issue I was talking about. The app will allow it but you have to put it exactly the way I had it in the screenshot or else it will not allow you to do it. At least on iOS anyways. I spoke with Tesla and they said for me to have the system to behave the way I want it to all I had to do was setup the plan this way and so far everything works perfectly and I do not have to touch a thing. According to Tesla the plan should be setup like this:

Off-Peak Buy: Blank do not touch when setting up Sell: Blank do not touch
Peak Buy: for me it is 0.23 and Sell: 0.00

Then power wall settings: Time Based Control
Grid Charging: Yes
Backup: I have set to 20% at all times

Hope this helps because it took me a bit to get my system to just work the way I wanted without the need of manual changes.

Reactions: Jones1
I think you misunderstood about the "credit you get at nights. It only means it's free. Hope my bill in June can help.

View attachment 950726
Agreed, this is what mine looks like as well. It makes it free and then you also get your sell back credit. Good call out @GoTzillaR

Wow. Bro. You are Brave. I haven’t did an IOS Beta. In about 7 years. My alarm didn’t work on the beta. I was almost late for work. I never tried the Beta again. 😆
I have one iPhone and I alway have a Android (Pixel). So I don’t have an extra iPhone to try it on. My job would be upset. If I put beta on my work iPhone. 😆
HAHA! Well there was basically so little changes this year I figured it would not hurt much and I use my HomePod for my alarm haha. Although never on a work phone 🤣 miss all the things all day haha!

I’ve been wondering how members are doing with their Solar/PWs in Texas and the southern states right now and it’s only June. How is it working? Did you have enough of each to get you through to power enough of your house until the sun starts replenishing next day. Gotta think with all these consecutive days of over 100 degrees and needing AC even at night, it’s got to be challenging or impossible for many. Did your area lose power or is grid still an option?

I know here in CA Bay Area we’ve had some tougher days in the past when temps were in 90s-100s over a longer period but what you guys are experiencing now seems pretty brutal. In retrospect we would have liked to have gone with more panels, should have used the front of house which we avoided and we didn’t have time or inclination to move some of our venting on the SE/SW roofs which would have given us a bit more space. Also I regret not adding that 4th stacked PW although we did upgrade from 2 to 3 before install. Changing code regulations pretty much nixed that now and PG&E has managed to get passed by the PUC how they treat Solar/PWs which is less favorable to existing homeowners if they need to get a new PTO. Sure other States are better in this respect.

I know a lot of Calif Tesla people were all for Tesla moving headquarters and building a plant in Austin. I get the financial incentives for the company but if you worked for Tesla then and picked up and moved to Texas for your job, any regrets from a living standpoint with the temps now? Can’t imagine everyones home there has solar/PWs installed. I’ve also been wondering how the plant work environment is during these summer months especially if our climate is going to be more of the same. May not have earthquakes to contend with there but heat, humidity (?), tornadoes and giant hail from thunderstorms sounds very challenging. Hate to see hail damage all those new cars in the delivery staging area. Could be costly to the company.

View attachment 950726
Man...this is a dream plan. Do they send you money for the credit earned or does it roll over for use in winter months? Free nights and we can still sell some excess energy. I will sign up once my reliant contract is up. This is especially great for me since I have 2 systems and the second system literally has no utilization in the house. I was thinking to change some loads up, but this would be great. Whoever found this plan, thank you!

Last edited:
Switched over a couple of months ago just about to get my second bill probably tomorrow.

Yeah this is the issue I was talking about. The app will allow it but you have to put it exactly the way I had it in the screenshot or else it will not allow you to do it. At least on iOS anyways. I spoke with Tesla and they said for me to have the system to behave the way I want it to all I had to do was setup the plan this way and so far everything works perfectly and I do not have to touch a thing. According to Tesla the plan should be setup like this:

Off-Peak Buy: Blank do not touch when setting up Sell: Blank do not touch
Peak Buy: for me it is 0.23 and Sell: 0.00

Then power wall settings: Time Based Control
Grid Charging: Yes
Backup: I have set to 20% at all times

Hope this helps because it took me a bit to get my system to just work the way I wanted without the need of manual changes.
Hey Drew, After months I figured out this morning after reading up here again how to set it to $0.00 for off peak buy rate. All, I had to do was split the time from 8:00 pm to 12:00 am and 12:00 am to 6:00 am for off peak instead of just setting up 8:00 pm to 6:00 am as off peak...Weird glitch but happy this is fixed. now i won't have to do the manual switch.

• Love
Reactions: DrewHou
Solar works just fine in Texas in this heat just as efficient in the temp, but that's just the way it is, one has to oversize it a bit if that's a concern. The grid is holding up just fine. In my 40+ years living in urban SE Texas, I've never experienced a brown or black out due to heat. In the last few days, they asked people to voluntarily conserve, but they say that every summer. AC is everywhere in Texas. Every home built in the past 40/50 years all have central AC. So having AC isn't a problem for most people (excluding discussion of people in need). We've had some freak storms lately with crazy gusts and hail. But while we get strong thunderstorms fairly often, what happened this past week is pretty freaky and isn't the norm.

If you are wondering about the grid: Grid and Market Conditions. Plenty of capacity on tap.
If you are curious about the freak storms we've had this last week: Explaining a furiously stormy June and last week’s wild wind and hail in Houston

Hey Drew, After months I figured out this morning after reading up here again how to set it to $0.00 for off peak buy rate. All, I had to do was split the time from 8:00 pm to 12:00 am and 12:00 am to 6:00 am for off peak instead of just setting up 8:00 pm to 6:00 am as off peak...Weird glitch but happy this is fixed. now i won't have to do the manual switch.
Good to hear! That is a strange glitch. I just remember how aggravating it was to change stuff manually every day so I’m happy to hear you got it sorted! I wish Tesla would add more manual automation controls in the app but I have a feeling that won’t happen as now they want to incentivize people to switch to Tesla Electric haha.

Agreed, this is what mine looks like as well. It makes it free and then you also get your sell back credit. Good call out @GoTzillaR
Thank you. Did y'all have to call them to set up sell back or is it part of the plan? I don't see that in the plan document. btw did you get your car fixed (sorry I have been off for a while)? they ended up changing entire rear motor drive unit for me since the gears were grinding up. took them almost 4 months but they fixed it. shout out to Cypress Collision Center team.

Reactions: DrewHou
So I ended up leaving the off peak blank. I cut the sell price altogether because it was effecting the grid charging at night in a way that made me have to still have a manual process. Once I made this change it’s been set it and forget it. It’s maybe not as accurate but it does exactly as I would expect it to.

Start the day with 100% powerwall charge and on the grid

7am switch to solar + pw with excess going to the grid

9pm switch back to grid and charge car and pw back to 100%
1687735675075.jpeg

1687735692341.jpeg

Hope this works and don't have to do manual changes! Just set and forget...

Thank you. Did y'all have to call them to set up sell back or is it part of the plan? I don't see that in the plan document. btw did you get your car fixed (sorry I have been off for a while)? they ended up changing entire rear motor drive unit for me since the gears were grinding up. took them almost 4 months but they fixed it. shout out to Cypress Collision Center team.
Yeah you email them to have them add it. You fill out the paperwork and show them your PTO and they added it within about two weeks. My first bill had credits on it.

Well I got my car back a week ago but then it went straight back as at highway speeds the yoke was shaking so bad that FSD was thinking I was grabbing the wheel and turning off. Plus a handful of other issues. I had Tesla look at it before taking it back to the body shop and they are both telling me the car will never drive right again. So it’s kinda a nightmare.

VPP here. Well Maybe.
Has anyone that has signed up for Tesla VPP gotten a email? Saying you are in the program?
I haven’t gotten any message back. I have noticed my PW behavior has changed. It is no longer draining down to my reserve. Even when I’m not at home. It seems like the VPP is keeping the battery level a little higher. Choosing when to disperse. More than it did before.
This is what I’m seeing. I also signed up around 6/9. It seems to stop draining anywhere from 11:00 at night to about 4:00 am, then it will finally start draining the battery again. Usually about 51%, but the other night it was almost 60%. I was assuming they think they would need it the next day.

No confirmation email from Tesla, but isn’t that normal? 😀

• Funny
I don’t see this. You got me excited that I might be able to charge for free. With the Texas heat right now, my system can’t keep up, so I can barely charge the car on excess solar during the day like I used to. I can only gain about 5% on solar, where in the Spring, I could top of the car and still be generating excess power.

Did you register any cars? Did they ask for the rumored $30 per month?

Yeah you email them to have them add it. You fill out the paperwork and show them your PTO and they added it within about two weeks. My first bill had credits on it.

Well I got my car back a week ago but then it went straight back as at highway speeds the yoke was shaking so bad that FSD was thinking I was grabbing the wheel and turning off. Plus a handful of other issues. I had Tesla look at it before taking it back to the body shop and they are both telling me the car will never drive right again. So it’s kinda a nightmare.
Thank you man...sorry to hear about your car. I think Houston is not a right place to drive Tesla or any nice electric car because once they get into even a minor accident it just a nightmare. And the way folks drive here, like it or not, we are bound to be in an accident at some point. What's up with all the paper car plates? most of them are on junk type old cars, not even sure if they are insured. have not seen them in any other city in Texas or elsewhere...

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou