Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla speeding at 128mph in a 45mph zone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again it looked like the torque was continuing AFTER the first impact.
The SUV is pushed TWICE.
A "normal" crash looks different.
I've just re-watched it and you're right. In fact I'd say more than twice the Model S keeps shoving the SUV.
Possible the Model S driver was intoxicated or something, seems to have left his foot on the throttle throughout the accident.

teslaredlight.jpg
I humbly disagree. It's clearly visible that the stop lights are on which means brake pedal is pressed.
Even if the driver kept both pedals pressed, brake overrides accelerator so no way the motor was still engaged.

I just sent the crash video to my teenage drivers and reminded them to make sure opposing traffic is coming to a stop before proceeding on a green light. I'm not saying the SUV driver was at fault, but he should have seen it coming if he was driving defensively.
Except you normally wouldn't be looking for someone 2 blocks away when you begin to enter the intersection. The Tesla was going so fast, I'm sure it seemed as if it came out of nowhere.

In my life I've been a guy in an SUV and a guy in a Model S. I feel real sorry for that SUV driver that he had to come across such a reckless, irresponsible idiot like the Model S driver. Obviously shouldn't be behind a wheel ever again.
It also makes me glad that my family and me are in a Model S now, rather than an SUV. The Model S handled the crash amazingly well.

A very unfair situational match though. Yes, the Tesla is a large, heavy, and very safe car but you take that and ram it into the side of ANY passenger vehicle at 100MPH and the vehicle that is hit from the side is at a major disadvantage. The Tesla had the benefit of a few feet of crumple space and the SUV occupants barely had the protection of several inches of crumple space to deflect a 100MPH impact.

I'd say the fact that the SUV occupants did not die is phenomenal.

If a Tesla encountered a side impact at 100MPH, I don't think the results would have been very pretty either.

For people who reach triple digit speeds on local roads with traffic lights and cross traffic, there should be VERY severe consequences. Could Tesla ban such people from owning a Tesla by refusing to do business or serve them?

Reactions: croman
A very unfair situational match though. Yes, the Tesla is a large, heavy, and very safe car but you take that and ram it into the side of ANY passenger vehicle at 100MPH and the vehicle that is hit from the side is at a major disadvantage. The Tesla had the benefit of a few feet of crumple space and the SUV occupants barely had the protection of several inches of crumple space to deflect a 100MPH impact.

I'd say the fact that the SUV occupants did not die is phenomenal.

If a Tesla encountered a side impact at 100MPH, I don't think the results would have been very pretty either.

For people who reach triple digit speeds on local roads with traffic lights and cross traffic, there should be VERY severe consequences. Could Tesla ban such people from owning a Tesla by refusing to do business or serve them?
As a practical matter, Tesla could perhaps choose not to sell a car to this person BUT the person could buy a car second-hand and Tesla would still be legally obligated to provide warranty and recall services.

I've just re-watched it and you're right. In fact I'd say more than twice the Model S keeps shoving the SUV.
Possible the Model S driver was intoxicated or something, seems to have left his foot on the throttle throughout the accident.

What I see is the initial impact leading to a rapid deceleration of the Tesla, but then the SUV is flipped in the air briefly, so now there's less mass/friction to stop the Tesla's continued deceleration and it appears to accelerate again but is probably just decelerating less than initially.

Not sure I explained that in the best way, but hopefully you get the gist.

Reactions: MP3Mike
This braking / no braking debate raises an interesting design issue with one pedal cars.

Clearly the driver will be pushed forward involuntarily in relation to the car during the deceleration (until the seat belts tighten, stretch, etc).

In a conventional car, If your foot was over the brake pedal at the moment of collision, this creates a “brake assist” feature where your inertia adds to the pressure on the brake pedal.

With single pedal driving, even if the driver had lifted his/her foot and was getting full regen braking, at the moment of collision, the drivers momentum likely leads to depressing the accelerator and “reacceleration” for lack of a better word.

Reactions: OPRCE and f205v
It is a very sobering video. No way could the turning car know. They even waited with a green for a couple seconds so it's not like they rushed into a red light chaser. The light was red for the Tesla for so long I think it was attempted murder. His conduct is so reckless it shows a complete disregard for human life and safety. Throw the book at him.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Reminds me of this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8dbd1c-be31-11e6-ac85-094a21c44abc_story.html

Thankfully no one died from the more recent incident. Jail time is likely warranted. Youth + stupidity = any age + substance taken

One week after I got my first MS, I was headed north on a 6 lane (3 lanes each side) major road. 2nd row at traffic intersection. Light turns green, 1st row moves into intersection, I was just at edge. A VW Beetle flies through the intersection eastbound, and hits car in center lane. Doubt they were doing 100, but at least 60-70. No one hurt (lucky), very scary. Young adolescent driving..

What I see is the initial impact leading to a rapid deceleration of the Tesla, but then the SUV is flipped in the air briefly, so now there's less mass/friction to stop the Tesla's continued deceleration and it appears to accelerate again but is probably just decelerating less than initially.

Not sure I explained that in the best way, but hopefully you get the gist.
I understood what you meant :)
Could be right, hard to say. I reckon the driver might have bumped the throttle a bit too.
Either way a pretty spectacular collision, lucky no one was killed.

Interesting post about 1 pedal driving @David.85D !
I see it this way: normally both pedals are used with the right foot, and the left one stays on the floor.
In a panic situation the instinct is to move the right foot from accelerator to brake.
If the impact happens when the instinctual movement has already done, than the impact pressure will be on the brake.
If the impact happens so suddenly that the driver hasn't panicked yet, the pressure will be on the accelerator. But usually on modern cars with drive-by-wire the accelerator is automatically disconnected (overridden) if there is a pressure (by the driver or by the anti-collision automatic brake system, it's the same) on the brake pedal; and it is also overridden in case of impact where air-bags deploy.
I can confirm this personally, as I was involved in a rear-end collision while stopped at a red light last summer (not in my Tesla! I was in my wife's Fiat Panda). Fortunately it was slow enough not to cause any injury, but it was also strong enough to deploy air-bags. The Panda would not start the engine any more till I re-engaged the safety switch tripped by the air-bags.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and whitex
Interesting post about 1 pedal driving @David.85D !
I see it this way: normally both pedals are used with the right foot, and the left one stays on the floor.
In a panic situation the instinct is to move the right foot from accelerator to brake.
If the impact happens when the instinctual movement has already done, than the impact pressure will be on the brake.
If the impact happens so suddenly that the driver hasn't panicked yet, the pressure will be on the accelerator. But usually on modern cars with drive-by-wire the accelerator is automatically disconnected (overridden) if there is a pressure (by the driver or by the anti-collision automatic brake system, it's the same) on the brake pedal; and it is also overridden in case of impact where air-bags deploy.
I can confirm this personally, as I was involved in a rear-end collision while stopped at a red light last summer (not in my Tesla! I was in my wife's Fiat Panda). Fortunately it was slow enough not to cause any injury, but it was also strong enough to deploy air-bags. The Panda would not start the engine any more till I re-engaged the safety switch tripped by the air-bags.
My wife was hit in a Tesla, accelerator function was cut right after impact. HV battery apparently disconnects on accident, and 12V dies a few hours later on its own. Car transmits crash data to Tesla before 12V dies.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and OPRCE