Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SSD coming February 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I understand that it's "rated" for 234 TBW, it's still a $60 card with consumer-grade MLC/TLC that uses "tricks" to make it more reliable (i.e. overprovisioning, wear leveling). I'm speculating that Max Endurance is the same memory as your typical $20 Sandisk card, but "binned" for higher performance. It's why there's a massive price difference between enterprise/industrial grade memory (i.e. SLC) vs consumer grade (i.e. MLC/TLC). End of day, I just don't think MLC/TLC memory is reliable enough for left/right/front/rear/interior dashcam writes. I'm speculating it's probably designed for a front dashcam writes, not simultaneous left/right/front/rear/interior/24-7-sentry dashcam writes.

Tesla OEM isn't immune from using the incorrect memory type. It's not an unusual problem to encounter in solid state storage.

Tesla MCU1 eMMC Failure Explained

On the reader being too hot, I think that's a fair hypothesis. I didn't give it much thought as I still think Max Endurance card isn't good enough. But since it's $15, I bought the UGREEN adapter and try it out. It'll hold me over until Tesla releases it's SSD; I plan to order it and hopefully not have to deal with this problem again, lol.

You realize 4 compressed 720p cams are writing less data than the single/dual 4k cam setups most people comfortably use these "cheap" endurance flash solutions for for years right?

Adapter issues seems far more likely than you are somehow killing endurance storage by...using it as storage (and relatively light duty at that given how little is actually being written in the time you mention versus the rated endurance)

I killed two 256GB "Max Endurance" (designed for dashcam use) in my 2021 Tesla Model S. Just killed my 2nd one last week. And yes, I always buy from Amazon.com, shipped from Amazon.com; I never buy from unauthorized resellers or third party stores.

If you killed two max endurance drives in a 2021 car there's something wrong with your car or your supplier of drives (or your adapter I suppose)

I vote he may have gotten counterfeit cards or the reader may be defective.
I am strongly in the "most likely a counterfeit" column given that the purchase was from Amazon. They do not keep a very secure supply chain.
If only the car offered some sort of protection for cabin overheating or something....
You and your darned logic...
🤣
I'm also super meticulous in shopping. It's unlikely that I purchased counterfeit cards. I also have two of the Sandisk readers. It's a possibility that the reader firmware is causing corruption. However, I think it's more likely that that the cards are just not good enough.
If you are buying memory and storage from Amazon, you aren't being meticulous enough. I've read plenty of stories of counterfeit items on Amazon. They keep making much publicized efforts to counter it, but a lot still gets through.

You realize 4 compressed 720p cams are writing less data than the single/dual 4k cam setups most people comfortably use these "cheap" endurance flash solutions for for years right?

Adapter issues seems far more likely than you are somehow killing endurance storage by...using it as storage (and relatively light duty at that given how little is actually being written in the time you mention versus the rated endurance)
There’s a massive difference between writing a single sequential 4k write to disk, than 4x non-sequential 720p writes to disk.

“Random Writes: Writing to non-sequential LBAs will have the greatest impact on write amplification”

I am strongly in the "most likely a counterfeit" column given that the purchase was from Amazon. They do not keep a very secure supply chain.

You and your darned logic...
🤣

If you are buying memory and storage from Amazon, you aren't being meticulous enough. I've read plenty of stories of counterfeit items on Amazon. They keep making much publicized efforts to counter it, but a lot still gets through.
Sandisk warrantied it with proof of serial number and receipt. I’m assuming that was verification that it was an authentic product.

Anyways, I’m planning to buy the Tesla SSD. It’s claims to be rated for extreme cabin temperatures. And more storage space (1TB vs 256GB micro SD) means less wear on each NAND. And if Tesla QA can be trusted (lulz), it probably works well. Ignoring the $350 cost, it’s a better solution for me.

Anyways, I’m planning to buy the Tesla SSD. It’s claims to be rated for extreme cabin temperatures. And more storage space (1TB vs 256GB micro SD) means less wear on each NAND. And if Tesla QA can be trusted (lulz), it probably works well. Ignoring the $350 cost, it’s a better solution for me.
Given the Tesla stick they include (and are selling for $45) is just a rebranded Samsung Bar Plus (that sells for $22 on Samsung, less on Amazon), I'm guessing its most likely just a rebranded consumer SSD. They are likely only releasing this mainly to support Steam in the cars that have it.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/usb-drive-_-128-gb
USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Titan Gray Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE4/AM | Samsung US

While I understand that it's "rated" for 234 TBW, it's still a $60 card with consumer-grade MLC/TLC that uses "tricks" to make it more reliable (i.e. overprovisioning, wear leveling). I'm speculating that Max Endurance is the same memory as your typical $20 Sandisk card, but "binned" for higher performance. It's why there's a massive price difference between enterprise/industrial grade memory (i.e. SLC) vs consumer grade (i.e. MLC/TLC).
I have the same guess (binning memory of same type), but they are willing to warranty it, which means they trust it enough to do so vs consumer portable SSDs which they don't warranty for writes nor do they rate it for writes.
End of day, I just don't think MLC/TLC memory is reliable enough for left/right/front/rear/interior dashcam writes. I'm speculating it's probably designed for a front dashcam writes, not simultaneous left/right/front/rear/interior/24-7-sentry dashcam writes.
I gave the TBW rating which can be easily used to calculate the approximate duration it will last. Bitrate per Sentry/dashcam clip is ~5Mbps, for 4 cameras ~20Mbps (2.5 MB/s). It's about the same as a Front/rear camera Blackvue dashcam set at the High/Highest quality setting.
Dashcam Comparison Table
As for the type of writes, pretty much all modern memory cards have a built in controller that does wear leveling (reference from 2010 from Sandisk).
https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/04db416b291011446889dbd6129e2644.pdf
Even if it doesn't have it, the way Tesla does management is oldest sentry clips are deleted. And as per the 1 hour loop, I tested it myself with file recovery. For my 128GB card, Recuva file recovery recovers roughly about 128GB of footage, which means it is using the entire capacity of the card for the writes (not just writing the 1 hour loop on the same blocks). That means very even wearing of the card.
Dashcam in Auto
Tesla OEM isn't immune from using the incorrect memory type. It's not an unusual problem to encounter in solid state storage.

Tesla MCU1 eMMC Failure Explained

On the reader being too hot, I think that's a fair hypothesis. I didn't give it much thought as I still think Max Endurance card isn't good enough. But since it's $15, I bought the UGREEN adapter and try it out. It'll hold me over until Tesla releases it's SSD; I plan to order it and hopefully not have to deal with this problem again, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
I still don't get why people insist that one needs a high-end SD card? I used two 256 GB SanDisk Cruzer thumb drives (one for music and one for Sentry) for close to two years until I had to get more storage. Never once had a problem with either one. I firmly believe the supply chain you chose to get the drive from makes a huge difference: I got mine from Costco, whose supply chain I trust far more than ANYBODY on Amazon (even the manufacturers).
I purchased this from Amazon (Last purchased Oct 26, 2022 | Capacity: 256 GB | Style: Card Only)
& my 2020 MSLR+ My security camera is complaining that I have multiple Notification about I/O errors & I need a faster SD card that can handle speeds of 4mb per second??
Could it be my adapter? the music on this card plays fine though

I purchased this from Amazon (Last purchased Oct 26, 2022 | Capacity: 256 GB | Style: Card Only)
& my 2020 MSLR+ My security camera is complaining that I have multiple Notification about I/O errors & I need a faster SD card that can handle speeds of 4mb per second??
Could it be my adapter? the music on this card plays fine though
You need to provide the link or the actual model number, your description doesn't say what type of card it is. If you buy a conventional SD card (not a High Endurance or Max Endurance) and one with slow write speeds, it really is no different than buying a stick.

Your music plays fine because it's reading from the card. When recording it's writing to the card. Read speeds are typically much faster than writes.

You can try formatting your card with the official SD card formatting tool, but it could be your card was slow in the first place, or wasn't rated for writes.
SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association

Also, having music in the same card, while convenient, will put more write wear on it, given your music is taking up a fixed portion of the card, so the write are all happening on a limited section of the card.

If you want a spare USB flash drive for your Tesla, I see the Samsung Bar 128GB USB flash drive is now on sale for $14.99 at Amazon. I think it's the same as the rebranded Tesla drive which comes with the car and goes for $45 from Tesla. You can also get a 256GB version for $35.99.

Samsung 128GB Flash Drive

81Sw-hOdbyL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Yes, Amazon has a lot of counterfeits (made worse by Amazon mixing their stock even if you buy shipped and sold by them and not from a third party). For all the cards I buy, I do a speed test using CrystalDiskMark. Fake cards wouldn't be able to meet the continuous write specs of a real one. If I suspect the capacity, there is also multiple capacity tests available. But the high endurance cards are also available at other retailers like B&H or BestBuy.

Yes, you do need an adapter (most people use the $11 Sandisk mobile mate), but for those that use it for music also, you can get one with dual card slots and that saves you the cost of a second adapter (and also a second usb connection). I got the Ugreen one below, mainly just to have a pigtail to reduce the heat to the unit from the USB connection (the second slot is just a bonus). One theory is the early failure of cards/drives is related to that heat.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MobileMate-microSD-Card-Reader/dp/B07G5JV2B5?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Reader-Memory-Windows-Simultaneously/dp/B01EFPX9XA/

The cost isn't a whole lot different than a USB stick and much less than any SSD.
I bought that exact same UGREEN adapter. I also used a brand new (retail packaging) 256GB Sandisk Max Endurance; it was sent direct from Sandisk RMA/Warranty. The card died last night. I got about 4 months out of it, which is about the lifespan as I get with the Sandisk Mobile Mate.

Over the 4 months of using it, the UGREEN does run cooler. However, it had significantly more "disconnects" than the Sandisk Mobile Mate.

I bought that exact same UGREEN adapter. I also used a brand new (retail packaging) 256GB Sandisk Max Endurance; it was sent direct from Sandisk RMA/Warranty. The card died last night. I got about 4 months out of it, which is about the lifespan as I get with the Sandisk Mobile Mate.

Over the 4 months of using it, the UGREEN does run cooler. However, it had significantly more "disconnects" than the Sandisk Mobile Mate.
I had zero disconnects in my Model 3. My High Endurance card is still going strong 2 years in, but I use Sentry sparingly. I use the same cards for a separate security system that records 24/7 and they are still going strong after the same time (although the bitrate is less than Sentry). 4 months is a very short time. Do you have Sentry/dashcam on 24/7? Do you have a large portion of the storage occupied and not cleared out (like for example with Sentry events or maybe you shared it with music). That's the only thing I can think of that can put uneven wear on the card. But even with uneven wear, that shouldn't make the whole card fail.

If you put the card into a computer what is shown? Just the entire card is dead or can it be reformatted and scanned?

Something is different about your case especially from your post history, you have continued to have cards fail quickly.

Reactions: android04
If you want a spare USB flash drive for your Tesla, I see the Samsung Bar 128GB USB flash drive is now on sale for $14.99 at Amazon. I think it's the same as the rebranded Tesla drive which comes with the car and goes for $45 from Tesla. You can also get a 256GB version for $35.99.

Samsung 128GB Flash Drive

81Sw-hOdbyL._AC_SX679_.jpg
You only need a cheap 16 or 32gb drive. They used to record DAYS of video now it's only a few hours.

That will fill up really quickly if you use sentry or if you keep saving your dashcam clips. Also, as far as I know, Tesla has always used loop recording (1 hour loop). I don't believe they implemented days of recording in past.
Yes, they DID used to save DAYS of videos. Sentry is a battery drain. Unless you can get a plate number you can ID who dinged you and I doubt your local PD will run that fancy facial rec they used on FBI, etc

Yes, they DID used to save DAYS of videos. Sentry is a battery drain. Unless you can get a plate number you can ID who dinged you and I doubt your local PD will run that fancy facial rec they used on FBI, etc
What car and software version at you talking about? Are you sure you aren't confusing Sentry or saving the clips (which would retain the footage indefinitely, but not the same as recording for days continuously)? Note to clarify we are taking about RecentClips, which is where the loop footage is stored.

Here's when they introduced the dashcam feature:
"At that point, the dashcam automatically begins recording and you can control the dashcam by pressing the icon. When the feature is in use, it records for an hour before overwriting the old videos."

This has how it as always worked as far as I can find.

And even if it did a continual loop, a 16GB or 32GB drive won't allow days of continuous footage. I remember when I checked erased files for my full 128GB card, it was only around 13 hours of footage.

What car and software version at you talking about? Are you sure you aren't confusing Sentry or saving the clips (which would retain the footage indefinitely, but not the same as recording for days continuously)? Note to clarify we are taking about RecentClips, which is where the loop footage is stored.

Here's when they introduced the dashcam feature:
"At that point, the dashcam automatically begins recording and you can control the dashcam by pressing the icon. When the feature is in use, it records for an hour before overwriting the old videos."

This has how it as always worked as far as I can find.

And even if it did a continual loop, a 16GB or 32GB drive won't allow days of continuous footage. I remember when I checked erased files for my full 128GB card, it was only around 13 hours of footage.
First of all why does everyone ask what car one has when they have a software problem? The firmware is the firmware. Yes, I assume there is SOME logic
IF MODEL = S then DO, ELSE
And yes, I used to get days worth of camera captures. I believe there's a thread on this site where someone mentioned that a certain version of firmware clipped that featire

First of all why does everyone ask what car one has when they have a software problem? The firmware is the firmware. Yes, I assume there is SOME logic
IF MODEL = S then DO, ELSE
And yes, I used to get days worth of camera captures. I believe there's a thread on this site where someone mentioned that a certain version of firmware clipped that featire
It matters because Model S/X does not work the same as Model 3/Y and they are many times given different software releases. For one, the older Model S/Y had a portrait screen so the UI is necessarily different.

Yeah, I would like a source for that given the sources I found on when the dashcam was released on Model 3 says the loop recording only kept a 1 hour loop.
Here's some forum sources from back in 2018, that says the same:

Mine is a 2021 Model 3 I got back at end of 2020 and it has always worked consistent to that. Sometimes the loop might have footage from longer than an hour ago if I pull the card, but that tends to be only because it didn't get around to deleting it. The RecentClips folder still only has a duration of 1 hours (from oldest clip to newest), even in that case. To get older footage I had to use file recovery.

Again Sentry and SavedClips is a different case.

Last edited: