Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stands by its Battery Pack Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting your experience. I just had the same thing happen to me - same warnings, diagnosis and excellent service. I'm VIN 646 and have 27K miles. I was told that I received a refurbished battery that should be like new. I wasn't aware of the A, B battery references (I don't go on the forums that much). Where do I find the battery label?

I'll quote Jerry's post:
Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and peek in under the front wheel house on the passenger side. You should be able to spot a white label. The serial number will end with -A or -B or some higher letter (-D has been spotted).

Battery pack swap

I don't know. Where would I look?

My old pack successfully charged on the Hawthorne 120 kW Supercharger, suggesting that it was a B.

You know, this thread and the concept of a pack swap made me wonder—is this the same sort of swap that Tesla demo'ed as being available at battery swapping stations? That is, the pack could be swapped in a couple of minutes or is this a more extensive sort of swap. If it is the former, should Tesla ever have those battery swap stations up and running, Tesla owners with early VINs who want compatibility with 120kW superchargers might only have to go pay for a "battery swap". Does this sound correct? Of course, maybe you couldn't be sure you'd be getting a "B" pack, but I would think the initial run of packs stocked in these swap stations would be "B's" or you would find some pretty peeved later VIN owners!

DJ

If it is the former, should Tesla ever have those battery swap stations up and running, Tesla owners with early VINs who want compatibility with 120kW superchargers might only have to go pay for a "battery swap".
The swapping for swap stations will be done in 90 seconds, however, if you keep the pack you swap for, Tesla will bill you the difference in value. It costs $60 (or thereabouts) only if you return to get your original pack back after your trip.

The swapping for swap stations will be done in 90 seconds, however, if you keep the pack you swap for, Tesla will bill you the difference in value. It costs $60 (or thereabouts) only if you return to get your original pack back after your trip.
Minor point of clarification:
The "$60-$80" figure or "about the equivalent cost of a tank of gasoline" is what was said at the demonstration event, IIRC. But that was for one swap. Subsequent follow-up indicated that's per swap, meaning if you plan to get your own pack back you need a minimum of two swaps -- $120 - $160.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla shift to a model where the battery pack is exchangeable at reasonable prices instead of being viewed as part of the car, possibly as part of a long-term battery replacement policy.

This would address the one area where an ICE has a significant advantage over an EV. You generally don't replace the engine in an ICE - but an EV's battery pack is subject to degradation and may require eventual replacement to maintain reasonable range.

With the lower cost of "refreshing" a battery pack, Tesla should be able to significantly reduce the anxiety about long term battery costs - and wouldn't be surprised to see this at some point...

In short - no.
Why? Because this:
This would address the one area where an ICE has a significant advantage over an EV. You generally don't replace the engine in an ICE - but an EV's battery pack is subject to degradation and may require eventual replacement to maintain reasonable range.
is not an unchangeable truth but poor old tech combined with FUD.
Battery life is almost comparable with ICE life already and will only be more so in the future. In the 'real EV', the battery will outlast the car.
Yeah, it might degrade a few % in a decade and it might even completely fail in a decade when you'd just buy another used one for "smallish money".

Last edited: