Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla started to drive back in P mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to my car parked by a store, the car recognized my phone and I opened the door. I pushed the break, car was still in P-mode (P), was busy with my seatbelt when another car cane very close to the front of my car, at the sane time another car parked 50 centimeter after my car. My car started to vibrate and rolled around 50 cm back just hitting the car after me. It went very soft so no big dammage.
I am sure my car was still in P-mode, the backwards camera did not show up, so for sure the car was not in R-mode and the parking floor was flat. The vibrating of the car feeled as a car start to drive with the handbrake on. Somebody similar experience, what can I do?

I went to my car parked by a store, the car recognized my phone and I opened the door. I pushed the break, car was still in P-mode (P), was busy with my seatbelt when another car cane very close to the front of my car, at the sane time another car parked 50 centimeter after my car. My car started to vibrate and rolled around 50 cm back just hitting the car after me. It went very soft so no big dammage.
I am sure my car was still in P-mode, the backwards camera did not show up, so for sure the car was not in R-mode and the parking floor was flat. The vibrating of the car feeled as a car start to drive with the handbrake on. Somebody similar experience, what can I do?
First of all, why ask here? Call your local Tesla Service Center. If what you said is true (which a lot of people will probably doubt and challenge you on) then your car is dangerous and you need Tesla to have a look at it ASAP.

Paging @wk057

Yea something similar happened to me yesterday but a little different. I pulled into my driveway last night and then put the car in Reverse to back out (I was turning around). It was on a slight incline and when I took my foot off the break the car started inching forward almost hitting my other car. I had to double check that the car was in reverse because it kept moving forward. Very weird. I have the new hold mode set and wonder if this was a bug.

Yea something similar happened to me yesterday but a little different. I pulled into my driveway last night and then put the car in Reverse to back out (I was turning around). It was on a slight incline and when I took my foot off the break the car started inching forward almost hitting my other car. I had to double check that the car was in reverse because it kept moving forward. Very weird. I have the new hold mode set and wonder if this was a bug.

That's not similar at all.

What you describe is a bug a few others have reported in the new hold mode when on an incline- the car is in gear but due to the incline over-corrects and moves when it should be holding. (it's possible the .3 SW going out now is to fix that bug- unclear right now)

What the OP is claiming is the car moved itself while in park

To which you can add me to the dubious list.

There seems to be a rash of brand new, first post members who are reporting serious problems with their cars. All involving accidents or close calls. While we all want to be supportive of new owners/members, sometimes the numbers and circumstances are a little too similar, so that doubt comes up. I know that if I wasn't a regular forum user, and had something major happen with my car like these reports, finding a tesla forum to report it wouldn't be on my priority list - I'd post on a more public facebook or reddit, although I could be wrong about this. And I'd definitely call service first - why does anybody need to be told to do this?

I used to frequent the chevy volt forum for several years, and there was one type of major vehicle shut down that was reported over and over again, about once a month, all by first time posters, that had so many similarities in details that eventually they were called out for being troll posts almost immediately. And then the new poster would get all defensive, etc. And then they would completely disappear.

I'm not saying this poster is one of these fudster/trolls, but it would be good for people to be aware that this is a thing that can happen.

• Informative
Reactions: Marius A
There seems to be a rash of brand new, first post members who are reporting serious problems with their cars. All involving accidents or close calls. While we all want to be supportive of new owners/members, sometimes the numbers and circumstances are a little too similar, so that doubt comes up. I know that if I wasn't a regular forum user, and had something major happen with my car like these reports, finding a tesla forum to report it wouldn't be on my priority list - I'd post on a more public facebook or reddit, although I could be wrong about this. And I'd definitely call service first - why does anybody need to be told to do this?

I used to frequent the chevy volt forum for several years, and there was one type of major vehicle shut down that was reported over and over again, about once a month, all by first time posters, that had so many similarities in details that eventually they were called out for being troll posts almost immediately. And then the new poster would get all defensive, etc. And then they would completely disappear.

I'm not saying this poster is one of these fudster/trolls, but it would be good for people to be aware that this is a thing that can happen.
Just to throw in my 2 cents. I originally joined to bitch about everything I was unhappy with. There is no sympathy, low quality of service and tons of frustration dealing with Tesla service centers here in Norway (and other countries from what I've heard, but I have no experience). I thought I would meet like-minded people with the same experiences, but what often happens here is that you get bombarded by zealots that will not acknowledge that Tesla can do anything wrong.

So I try to meet new members like I would have wanted to be met, and rather act politely to trolls than be an ass to someone who is frustrated and "hurting".

The cars don't respond to any acceleration commands when in park.

If the poster came in and was like, my car was on a bit of a hill and it seemed like the parking brake didn't apply or something....... ok, maybe. The parking brake setup is probably not 100% solid in all cases (can get ice and such on the pads, for example). Still unlikely, but at least possible for the car to maybe not be in park solidly and roll a little.

But the car wouldn't just move on its own while in park. Same reason it can't accelerate on its own.

So..... who knows what the deal is here.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightshade