Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla stock - how low will it go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't invested in Tesla stock previously as I, perhaps fortuitously, missed the bubble. Given the current steep decline in value, is it worth a punt now? Or still further to fall? Mr Musk has played a proper blinder recently!

Don't try and time the market, you will lose. A lot has happened since 2020, the fundamentals of Tesla are still fsntastic, CT coming out nect year, new M3, Tesla semi etc. The current stock price is a once in a lifetime bargain. Im buying with every spare penny...
The pipeline does seem positive. This quarter's figures will also be interesting - but likely worth a calculated punt now/soon.

Reactions: boombap
I personally feel like they’ve got a decent amount left to go.

If you’re holding for several years then is probably not a bad time, but the days of endlessly rising stocks are over. 2023 is going to be very difficult cost of living wise, interest rates are only going to be going one way.

I don’t trust that Elon won’t sell more stock if he’s left in a position where he needs to, and he’ll just make up some excuse about why he had to do it. He said no further stock sales planned earlier in the year, after all.

On the flip side - people seem to have very short memories. If you invested 3 years ago you’d still be up ~500%. I don’t have any TSLA shares but I’m keeping an eye on the price.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I would recommend looking at this following TMC thread:

1672225037013-png.889520

There are a lot of ways this could go. Elon might have another wheeze to take his focus in a different direction or he could finally crack and go loopy. Tesla might hive off the charging system to a separate tesla subsidiary, and or do the same with their truck and semi lines. As to CT - well it will sell reasonably in the US but sales elsewhere harder to predict and with the delays a lot of truck-wanters that put down deposits might dump them. The semi is still an unknown quantity until its charging system is widespread when it will be taken up by a few companies wanting green credentials. In practical terms if Tesla were meaning to get into the commercial vehicle business then a Transit shaped EV and a something the size o a supermarket delivery van would fill the need for white van man and courier companies. With the competition gearing up on the EV market and many more folk losing faith in Tesla promises I doubt there's going to be any sort of meteoric rise in share price.. And then there is the big question - whether it suits China to throw a spanner into the works and have an outbreak of diplomatic disease in export chip factories and rare earth mining...

Reactions: CWT3LR
There are a lot of ways this could go. Elon might have another wheeze to take his focus in a different direction or he could finally crack and go loopy.

Seeing as he thinks being LGBT or science behind a global pandemic is a "mind virus" he's either already gone or he was hiding it while too busy.

Tesla is on basic autopilot on b-roads with no driver right now.

Longer term its only going to go back up.
I’m not sure it is. It could, as Tesla is a profitable company. However, they’re now under increasing pressure from competition and have little to answer them.

The Model 3 and Y are priced much higher than anticipated and not selling well any more; the Model S hasn’t changed shape since it launched in 2012, they have nothing to compete in the “Model 2” price bracket while others do, FSD has hit a brick wall in the last six months, Supercharger prices are 400% higher than 2021 despite wholesale energy prices falling, they have removed parking sensors from a £55,000 car, and the last photo I saw of a Tesla Semi showed it on fire.

So feel free to take a gamble but I think it’s unwise.

Last edited:
FSD has hit a brick wall in the last six months
I think this is the most important part of this thread.

FSD - and wider autonomous tech like the Tesla Bot - was keeping the company's growth prospects in the stratosphere. Instead of normal measures of long term profitability, Tesla was judged by the measures of a late 90s tech start-up - it might go bust, but also it might make you 10 or even 100 times your investment. Now that FSD has reached its limits for the foreseeable future and with no prospect of FSD being widened to level 3 let along level 5 autonomy, the market has come to realise it is just another boring company that makes cars. And overpriced ones at that.

The semi is a niche product, likewise the Cybertruck, with limited growth potential. No sign of an affordable car to allow Tesla to be a volume manufacturer. And with Musk's unhinged right-wing drivel, his running into the ground a genuine tech company, and no real design or marketing flair, there doesn't seem to be strength in depth for the company to claw its way out of the hole. Unless of course Musk gets margin-called into so many share sales that he is replaced as CEO.

Model y still tops or number 2 of sales charts of ANY kind of powerplant in many markets eg uk in November, Norway, Germany, France regularly.

At $14,000 gross margin per car compared to $0-3000 for others, no debt, big and growing cash pile, more efficiencies from already built or expanded factories reducing per vehicle apportioned costs, going from no USA subsidy in last few years to perhaps $7,500 plus direct battery subsidiaries from Inflation Reduction Act, Tesla can survive any downturn better than any other car maker I can think of.

Only BYD seem to make profit on EVs, very small profit. Maybe other Chinese companies, but no European, USA or Japanese companies. Perhaps Hyundai/Kis don't make profits on EVs, hard to know or keep track.

Status
Not open for further replies.