Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Sues Former Employee for Hacking Trade Secrets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has filed a lawsuit against a former employee alleging he “unlawfully hacked the company’s confidential and trade secret information and transferred that information to third parties.”

The company is seeking $1 million from the former employee, Martin Tripp, who worked as a process technician.

According to the petition, Tesla says Tripp admitted to writing software to hack the company’s manufacturing operating system and transferring “several gigabytes” of data, including photos and videos, to outside entities. Tesla says Tripp also made false claims to the media about the information he stole.

“Tripp claimed that punctured battery cells had been used in certain Model 3 vehicles even though no punctured cells were ever used in vehicles, batteries or otherwise,” the petition says. “Tripp also vastly exaggerated the true amount and value of ‘scrap’ material that Tesla generated during the manufacturing process, and falsely claimed that Tesla was delayed in bringing new manufacturing equipment online.”

Tesla says Tripp’s actions were retaliation for being assigned a different role at the company.

According to the lawsuit, Tesla has only begun to understand the full scope of Tripp’s illegal activity.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted Wednesday about the lawsuit. “There is more, but the actions of a few bad apples will not stop Tesla from reaching its goals,” he wrote.

The full petition is available here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope this guy was also shorting the stock, prior to these bad acts. Then he will have the FTC to deal with as well. :mad::mad:o_O

The thing is, you can’t get blood from a stone. Does he even have any assets to seize - a guy who declared bankruptcy in 2004? I can’t imagine this guy has nearly enough money to cover his transgressions, so all he might have to bargain for reduced jail time is rolling on those who helped him/partnered with him/took his offered information and/or Tesla IPO.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Yeah, but ... no. A real whistleblower would have gone to the appropriate government agencies (and also have immediately had protected whistleblower status).

Going straight to the media smacks of something else, something along the lines of 'I'll show them!'. And then the email exchange he said he had with EM... I could see sending someone an email saying they were a horrible person if they'd deliberately lied about my business. However, his response of 'you're getting what you deserve' is an odd response from someone who says he wasn't trying to be vindictive.

At this point, his best move is to claim he's just a whistleblower, but his actions just don't support that.

That's not how any of this works....
Whistleblower status is to protect against retaliation for reporting violations to authorities, not to negate illegal activity...

Also pet peeve:
He also said he was not, as Tesla lawyers claimed, disgruntled about not getting a promotion. "That's their generic excuse," he said. "I could literally care less."

So you do care... at least a little..

Ninja-ed by @bonnie

The thing is, you can’t get blood from a stone. Does he even have any assets to seize - a guy who declared bankruptcy in 2004? I can’t imagine this guy has nearly enough money to cover his transgressions, so all he might have to bargain for reduced jail time is rolling on those who helped him/partnered with him/took his offered information and/or Tesla IPO.

Do we even know if a criminal investigation has been started? Right now it would seem to be just a Civil litigation and nothing criminal.

I, and I am guessing Tesla, consider the “blood” to be information in this case, not cash.
A full list of people and/or companies who he worked with. Where the data went and how far in advance this was planned?

Reactions: Krugerrand