Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla text for boot repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a random text from Tesla, anyone else get this? M3LR dec 2021.

Tesla Update - We've identified a proactive repair available for the boot of your Model 3. For your convenience, you can book a Mobile Technician to carry out repairs at your home or work address via the Tesla app To unsubscribe from SMS, reply STOP

I had seat buttons replaced about 6 weeks ago at the time the mobile tech also did something on my boot struts,… could this just be an error?

Could this be a proactive fix for the frequently failing powered boot struts.

Or just adding the o-ring to the top of the strut, for any cars that might still be missing it.

Both are suitable for mobile service.

I was thinking it was this one since the partial boot opening was fixed with software:

Anyone had their Model 3 trunk wiring harness replaced successfully yet through the recall?

I wouldn't call that a proper fix, mine doesn't stop when opening now but after a while longer it then squeaks instead. I have had the strut replaced again.

The strut still isn't up to the job, they just raised the threshold before it thinks it has hit an obstruction.

With the software fix, you can tell when the strut starts to fail as it sticks when closing it manually. A new strut can be closed manually very smoothly.

I wouldn't call that a proper fix, mine doesn't stop when opening now but after a while longer it then squeaks instead. I have had the strut replaced again.

The strut still isn't up to the job, they just raised the threshold before it thinks it has hit an obstruction.

With the software fix, you can tell when the strut starts to fail as it sticks when closing it manually. A new strut can be closed manually very smoothly.
ok it fixed it in my case. Never had it since the software update even in very windy locations where it used to happen every time.

Under what circumstances would someone want to close it manually? I may be misunderstanding.

None really, it's just a quick way to test the strut.

Basically try to close it manually and see what resistance you feel, when the strut is new and in good working order there is almost no resistance. As the strut ages, mainly from moisture or water ingress (hence the o'ring fix) then it can only move electronically.

It is just an easy way to test the health of the powered strut. I would most definitely not recommended forcing it, if force is needed then the strut is starting to fail again.

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS