Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had their Model 3 trunk wiring harness replaced successfully yet through the recall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear camera flicks black for a second on opening the trunk so think the wire is gradually failing. I messaged Tesla and said happy to fit the replacement part myself as referenced in their recall and sent them the link (I enjoy these sorts of things and proficient at things like this). They say they've not received any communicated yet about this recall at UK service centres but can investigate my specific issue (which I'm fairly certain is related to the recall) if I like and treat it as a separate issue.

Has anyone had their rear camera harness replaced yet in the UK officially as part of the recall? Can see no threads on it in the UK forum here.

I spoke to one of the service guys last week while I was charging. I asked if they knew when cars would actually get recalled, he said he didn't know but you could just book it in yourself via the app and have it done if you wanted.
I'm just waiting, but if you're is flickering get it booked in and see what they say.

I think the rear camera blinking off temporarily when the boot opens is a "feature". I don't think it is related to the trunk harness being split or worn, as otherwise it would be unlikely to be so happen so predictably.
Mine has done that since new in 2019 to the best of my recollection and has not seemed to have gotten any different or worse over time.

Reactions: Durzel
Mine has done that since new in 2019 to the best of my recollection and has not seemed to have gotten any different or worse over time.
Interesting yours has done it since the start (mine is 2019 too - only noticed the past 12 months, but might be chance that I noticed then and not before). Someone else told me it was in their experience it is due to this specific issue. Good news if it's done it since the start though!

It is unusual for you to open the boot while you have the cameras up and are sat inside the car. I noticed mine blink off after I had heard about this recall (as I thought I'd test it), but it also wasn't consistent, and I figured that if the harness was worn it would be cutting out randomly with movement, not only in this one scenario.

I don't think I had ever previously had the camera view up when opening the boot before, so would have never seen it before.

It is unusual for you to open the boot while you have the cameras up and are sat inside the car. I noticed mine blink off after I had heard about this recall (as I thought I'd test it), but it also wasn't consistent, and I figured that if the harness was worn it would be cutting out randomly with movement, not only in this one scenario.

I don't think I had ever previously had the camera view up when opening the boot before, so would have never seen it before.
I agree. You're the second person to suggest this - so this is maybe good news then!

Just had a ranger visit for something separate. I noticed in his boot he had a load of harnesses that looked similar to the ones for the M3 boot and asked him about it. The minor fix is like a mini version of those hooks you find on a washing machine outlet hose. The major being the whole harness including the tube that goes into the body of the car.

He said they're replacing them now for cars when notified in the service menu of the app. He wouldn't check mine because mine didn't have the notification, but I also asked about aftermarket wiring and he said they'd still replace the harness if the any foreign wiring was removed beforehand. For the minor fix he said it wouldn't need any change in wiring.

Hoping I can just get the minor fix. I've had no issues with the camera, but I have an aftermarket boot lifter which I don't want to have to remove (and practically can't without it being a permanent removal).

Hoping I can just get the minor fix. I've had no issues with the camera, but I have an aftermarket boot lifter which I don't want to have to remove (and practically can't without it being a permanent removal).
you can check if you're the minor or major fix. Open the tubing at the top of the hinge where it meets the lid. If the thick black wire is all black, it is the easy minor fix. If it has a yellow stripe it is the major fix (replace harness). Source - the service bulletin from Tesla which came out a few days ago

I'm 2019 RHD UK M3 SR+, August 2019 delivery. Major fix for me.

• Informative
Reactions: aspec818 and Durzel
As soon as the recall was announced I tried to schedule a service appointment. I got back a message canceling the appointment saying Tesla will reach out to me when parts are available. Its been four months now and crickets. I’m here in the colonies but disappointed to learn it is no better in UK and Europe.

you can check if you're the minor or major fix. Open the tubing at the top of the hinge where it meets the lid. If the thick black wire is all black, it is the easy minor fix. If it has a yellow stripe it is the major fix (replace harness). Source - the service bulletin from Tesla which came out a few days ago

I'm 2019 RHD UK M3 SR+, August 2019 delivery. Major fix for me.
So you've had yours done then?

Well this is embarrassing..

Not only can I not tell what cable I’ve got. I can’t figure out how to reattach the rubber cover to the boot lid. Help! :(

EDIT: Thanks @Mr H - didn’t realise you have to take the plastic bit out and refit it to it. 😓

77931F89-0FA5-48F5-8659-E498320DC913.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr H
Well this is embarrassing..

Not only can I not tell what cable I’ve got. I can’t figure out how to reattach the rubber cover to the boot lid. Help! :(

EDIT: Thanks @Mr H - didn’t realise you have to take the plastic bit out and refit it to it. 😓

View attachment 809739
Black cable has a yellow stripe in your photo. Put the rubber back onto the plastic bit first. Then push the plastic bit onto the trunk lid with one easy push.

• Informative
Just my luck that I’ll need the major job doing.

Not sure how that’s going to be possible with my aftermarket boot lifter. Would have to work out how to thread the cable back through it after it’s been replaced (and need to be able to keep the original).

Annoying.

That boot lid looks a bit grubby, tsk tsk.....

I was cleaning it today, so thought it would be a good time to check it :p