Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, in the middle of this thread, the good people here convinced me to get a Tesla. However, notwithstanding that, I am pretty boring.
Congrats. Again, I wasn’t taking a shot at you but a C class is a very safe and boring car. I’ve lived a lot of my life in Germany and it’s just a basic car that doesn’t inspire.

The Tesla Model 3 is a very different car in many way. I hope you enjoy it but you may not.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
I have been driving a C Class Mercedes since 1997. I get a new one about every three years. I have leased 6 Mercedes C class sedans in a row. Collectively, I have driven these cars about 270,000 miles. I pay about $600 a month, including 10% California sales tax. I put no money down (other than first lease payment and license.) The payment includes all regular maintenance.

My lease is coming up to its end, and I was considering a Model 3. So I started monitoring this forum. About a week ago, I was about 75% certain my next car would be a Tesla.

However, the stories I read in this forum about all sorts of problems really cause me concern. Since 1997, not one Mercedes has ever broken down. In the 270,000 miles, I have never paid for maintenance or a single repair. Only one time did the dealer need more than a day to conduct a repair. (I left the car overnight, and was given a free Mercedes loaner.)

I have never had any problem even remotely close to the horror stories I have read here. If you scroll through this forum, about every 10th post is a complaint about some issue with the car, and or customer service. They include windshields cracking, paint issues, rattles, dings, vomit smells, etc.

Now, I do confess, no car is perfect. Mercedes can be problematic when you reach high miles. But I am talking about new car problems. The Model 3 appears to have a major quality control issue. The Mercedes does not.

There are also a lot of complaints in this forum about service. This is in contrast to my experience with Mercedes. Here's an anecdote: a few weeks ago, my sunroof shade wouldn't close. I brought the car to the dealer on my wedding anniversary, and told the service rep I needed it back by 2:00 (if possible) because I had a date with my wife. The service rep called me at noon to say the car was ready. (Also, I have had the same service rep for about 10 years, which helps.)

The good news: my salesman called after that service, because he saw the car was at 42,000 miles and asked when I was coming in for my next car. I told him I was growing bored with my C Class sedan, and was considering switching to a Tesla. Long story short: He offered me a C300 coupe for about the same price. (I must pay $1,000 cap reduction though.)

So, I am going to pass on purchasing a Tesla. Maybe in three years the company will get its act together. However, I do thank Tesla for getting me a bad ass C300 Coupe.
Ok

No offense but you sound kinda boring. Model 3 isn’t the car for you.

That cracked me up. Really?! What I find fascinating has been seeing all the different ages of people in the Stores, at the Delivery Center and here online buying them. People of any age appreciate the car for how great it is and love the fact that it's not adding to the air pollution when driving on the road. Besides I think everyone secretly gets a smile on their face when you go to accelerate. :D

I've owned cars from a lot of brands.
My last car was a Jaguar XF that I bought (before I was 30).

People here who call the C class an "old man" car are being overly mean. It is a great car and would be very high on my list if I was company mandated to get an ICE.
I do agree though that almost every fossil fuel car feels ancient compared to my new Model S.

However, I've been on the receiving end of Tesla's horrible customer experience.

To me, every car is a compromise. The Model S is a great car, but:
+ Practicality (both in terms of size and range)
+ Running costs
+ Incredible performance
+ Technology (incl self driving)

- Service
- Price
- Interior quality (at the Model S price point)

To me the pros far outweigh the cons and I wouldn't trade it for the world with any other car.
I've looked into the E-tron, which I still think is a joke and the I-Pace, which was close but no cigar.
To me these cars (especially the Audi) validated how out of touch the other manufacturers are and how far ahead Tesla is at this point.

And that is from the perspective of the Model S, a car tesla conjured up about 7 years ago, although I'm fully aware that a 2012 Model S is not a 2019 Model S.

I have been driving a C Class Mercedes since 1997. I get a new one about every three years. I have leased 6 Mercedes C class sedans in a row. Collectively, I have driven these cars about 270,000 miles. I pay about $600 a month, including 10% California sales tax. I put no money down (other than first lease payment and license.) The payment includes all regular maintenance.

My lease is coming up to its end, and I was considering a Model 3. So I started monitoring this forum. About a week ago, I was about 75% certain my next car would be a Tesla.

However, the stories I read in this forum about all sorts of problems really cause me concern. Since 1997, not one Mercedes has ever broken down. In the 270,000 miles, I have never paid for maintenance or a single repair. Only one time did the dealer need more than a day to conduct a repair. (I left the car overnight, and was given a free Mercedes loaner.)

I have never had any problem even remotely close to the horror stories I have read here. If you scroll through this forum, about every 10th post is a complaint about some issue with the car, and or customer service. They include windshields cracking, paint issues, rattles, dings, vomit smells, etc.

Now, I do confess, no car is perfect. Mercedes can be problematic when you reach high miles. But I am talking about new car problems. The Model 3 appears to have a major quality control issue. The Mercedes does not.

There are also a lot of complaints in this forum about service. This is in contrast to my experience with Mercedes. Here's an anecdote: a few weeks ago, my sunroof shade wouldn't close. I brought the car to the dealer on my wedding anniversary, and told the service rep I needed it back by 2:00 (if possible) because I had a date with my wife. The service rep called me at noon to say the car was ready. (Also, I have had the same service rep for about 10 years, which helps.)

The good news: my salesman called after that service, because he saw the car was at 42,000 miles and asked when I was coming in for my next car. I told him I was growing bored with my C Class sedan, and was considering switching to a Tesla. Long story short: He offered me a C300 coupe for about the same price. (I must pay $1,000 cap reduction though.)

So, I am going to pass on purchasing a Tesla. Maybe in three years the company will get its act together. However, I do thank Tesla for getting me a bad ass C300 Coupe.

Interesting...

I've owned (not leased) Mercedes for the last 6 years... between Cs and Es (being the last one I owned an E300) and my experience with service rep was a hit a miss... My 2015 C300 engine died right at 50k miles and took close to 3 months to have it back not without them taking some parts from a brand new C300 to put it on mine (lol?).

The last 2017 E300 was cool car but a slow, not tight on corners and the Distronic+ feature was good for a normal ICE... until I went ahead and test drove the Model 3. Since then, it took few days for me to trade in my E300 for a brand new RWD Model 3.

Sadly, I never test drove a Performance until I had my Model 3 in for paint fixes but the Service Center treatment was outstanding. They took care of my Model 3 way better than past experiences with Mercedes Benz dealership... heck, I even got a P85D loaner with unlimited miles haha.

In any case, I do think Tesla has some quality issues and is not a Mercedes but technology, performance and safety wise, Tesla is way ahead of everyone else that is not even funny anymore... plus gas and maintenance savings were too good to let them go.

Interesting...

I've owned (not leased) Mercedes for the last 6 years... between Cs and Es (being the last one I owned an E300) and my experience with service rep was a hit a miss... My 2015 C300 engine died right at 50k miles and took close to 3 months to have it back not without them taking some parts from a brand new C300 to put it on mine (lol?).

How would you compare the cabin noise of the C300 to the Model 3 on a Freeway at 70 MPH?

Thanks.

Knowing these shortcomings, would you still buy a Tesla?

Well. 20/20 hindsight, I would not have bought our 2015 S. It has to be in the shop every few months and seems like a never ending list of things that break. I was fine with that state when service was easier and they took care of you, but now it is a huge chore every time.

My 3 has been a more reliable car so far, so the service center woes have been fewer. I have considered trading it in on an AWD or a P (I had to buy a 2017 first production when my 2013 S was totaled vs waiting like I had planned). However, I feel like I got a good roll on the Tesla dice with my 3 so far, and am wary about trading it in for a different 3 that may more have issues like our S. It is a very enjoyable car when I am not actively dealing with service.

2016 refresh with a lease that ends........today actually. But I just can't let it go. I'm buying out the lease as soon as Tesla decides to respond to calls/emails. (I get an answer,respond with a question and nothing.......) . I'l just keep driving it till they dwcidw they want my money. Thought about model 3 but too small for me and I didn't love it.

OK. Did the test drive. Two things happened:

1. The drive was amazing. The car really accelerates flawlessly and is, as many here claim, fun to drive. It's lower and smaller than a Mercedes. I drove it in autopilot, and I could see how that could be great during a morning commute. (Although it did freak me out a little.)

2. On the way to the dealer, I pushed the button to open the sunroof on my Mercedes, and was getting ready to crank some Kendrick Lamar. The sunroof, which I had repaired two weeks ago, wouldn't open. (I swear I am not making this up.) After 12 years of Catholic schooling, I am convinced this was a sign from God to quit screwing up his/her planet.

Bottom line: ordering a Tesla in November.

Sincere thanks to all who contributed to this thread! (Even to the guy/gal who called me FUDster.)

Regards to all,

Petrocelli

LOL, I'm glad you drove it...funny how that accelerator pedal can be so damn convincing. I still get a huge thrill letting gearheads drive my car. IMHO it is the most "fun to drive" around town, and the most "ease to drive" with Navigate on Autopilot. I've had 3 BMW 328s and like the others I can't imagine going back to BMW at this point.

How would you compare the cabin noise of the C300 to the Model 3 on a Freeway at 70 MPH?

Thanks.

Hmm, to be honest, none existent. I always drive with my windows open (even during winter) and with music so I barely pay attention to cabin noise on either of the cars and I drive over 70 mph all the time xD.

The only thing I miss from my E300 is the massage feature but besides that, my Model 3 is the best car performance wise and reliability wise.

My neighbor is selling a nice two year old Mercedes Coupe I was considering buying for my daughter who starts driving next year. When I tell her, she says “no thanks, that’s old school for older people. I’d rather have a Tesla”

I was rereading this thread and saw this post. Your daughter (who I assume is 15) turned up her nose at a Mercedes C300 Coupe? Are you making this up? I got my daughter a used Jetta for her first car, and she was thrilled to get it.

Reactions: brkaus

I had considered the new A-Class hatch but it was not worth it when running the numbers and the crazy interest Mercedes was quoting me (6.*%).
Went with the M3 SR+, no regrets going with the Tesla over the Benz. I do regret not getting the LR Dual Motor however.

I was rereading this thread and saw this post. Your daughter (who I assume is 15) turned up her nose at a Mercedes C300 Coupe? Are you making this up? I got my daughter a used Jetta for her first car, and she was thrilled to get it.

I was just happy to get a Geo Prizm hatchback. However my son wants our 3. Also wants to design rocket engines. I wasn't as aspirational as a child. Very happy my sons are.

Doubt it is made up or has anything to do with SoCal.

I was just happy to get a Geo Prizm hatchback. However my son wants our 3. Also wants to design rocket engines. I wasn't as aspirational as a child. Very happy my sons are.

Doubt it is made up or has anything to do with SoCal.
I think there is a difference between wanting something and being happy with what you are getting. I didn't want the Mazda, but I was happy to have a vehicle. If I would have said no that's ugly my dad would have just told me to buy my own car then.

Reactions: Andy_STL
I find that the Younger People who understand the tech... get a good brand name Android Phone or an iPhone. So Tesla cars are well understood for the age brackets from 16 to 35 years old.

I understand my parents and I would also say to them BUY an ICE. They are older and will personally find it hard to break the Gas habits and software upgrade may scare them. I would mostly say the over 60 group can afford a Tesla and would not have any issues buying a loaded Model 3. Where as the 16-35 years old are understanding that its a computer on wheels and gets buggy from software updates and are not too fazed by updates.

So does anyone on this forum have a TikTok account?

Last edited:
I find that the Younger People who understand the tech... get a good brand name Android Phone or an iPhone. So Tesla cars are well understood for the age brackets from 16 to 35 years old.

I understand my parents and I would also say to them BUY an ICE. They are older and will personally find it hard to break the Gas habits and software upgrade may scare them. I would mostly say the over 60 group can afford a Tesla and would not have any issues buying a loaded Model 3. Where as the 16-35 years old are understanding that its a computer on wheels and gets buggy from software updates and are not too fazed by updates.

So does anyone on this forum have a TikTok account?
My 14 yo daughter does, LOL

I think there is a difference between wanting something and being happy with what you are getting. I didn't want the Mazda, but I was happy to have a vehicle. If I would have said no that's ugly my dad would have just told me to buy my own car then.

Yeah I get that. That is why I said I was happy with my car.

Considering the car is different than showing up with the keys to a used Jetta, and saying look what I bought you. It was a bit of conversation between to parent and child. One where the child called it for older people. Doesn't mean the kid would be ungrateful.

Just like if I asked my kid if he wanted my old Ipod for free. It would be Ipod's Dad, really? Grandpa still has his why don't you give it to him.