Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On March 29th, Project 100 launched, and purchased 100 Model S's for a test car share project in Las Vegas. Here's the announcement:

http://goproject100.com/

And more here:

http://tech.co/downtown-project-100-vegas-startup-buys-100-teslas-2013-04

If this isn't Elon's big news, then it's pretty big regardless - since the cars were just ordered, and not delivered, they didn't even count towards Q1's profitability!!

Seems like a pretty good bet this is the announcement this afternoon. I'm betting Tesla is underwriting Project 100 in some fashion, thus putting their money where their mouth is.

My thoughts...

Elon has noted in the past that the Tesla plug is much better than the competition, however, it does not support (in its current form) three phase charging. He noted at the Norway meeting a few weeks back, that they had a solution for three phase charging and that the charger is more efficient than the US model. He also noted an ability to plug into CHAdeMO chargers. I wonder if the 'announcement' is a revamp to the charging scope to include Mennekes Type 2 and CHAdeMO. I do not know if it is the case in the USA, but I assume that a lot of business (fast food outlets, shops etc) already have three phase delivered to them and it would be a relatively simple process to provide a three phase Mennekes plug.

There are apparently 160 CHAdeMO chargers already installed in the USA - access to those would be an instant increase in 'fast charging' facilities for Tesla owners.

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/media-advisory-journalists-analysts-and-investors

Thanks, but I had found that earlier and it only seems to indicate that we'll be able to listen to a recording two hours after the conference call. Perhaps I should rephrase my question, "How do we listen to this afternoon's conference call in real time while it is actually occuring?"

Thanks, but I had found that earlier and it only seems to indicate that we'll be able to listen to a recording two hours after the conference call. Perhaps I should have rephrased my question, "How do we listen to this afternoon's conference call in real time while it is actually occuring?"

There will be a live webcast at http://ir.teslamotors.com or you can just call in and listen: Live Call: (877) 312-5519 / (760) 666-3771 (International)

The SECOND book in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy 5 part trilogy (? pentogy?) is "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe". Therefore I bet the announcement is a SuperCharger partnership with a major restaurant chain (Starbux).
Or perhaps we're all thinking about this the wrong way. What if to AUGMENT the supercharger strategy--which is all about intercity driving--they were installing HPWCs at chains like Starbucks? For in-city driving, it would be great to get a 25-50 mi/hr. boost (should I have ordered the twin chargers?!) every once in a while. Would really be nice to see 20-30 of those things around town. The local Tesla store is at my favorite shopping center here, and it's great to have the option to charge while you shop (and get the best spot in the garage while doing it!).

Someone over at "MyNissanLeaf" just posted he received an email from Tesla that he will have more information on his leasing question later today, so it's partly about a leasing program at a minimum.
Kind of makes sense, they need to keep the reservations rolling in, have to keep demand up, and lack of a US leasing option has kept many high end buyers away, many in this category/price range only lease...

Someone over at "MyNissanLeaf" just posted he received an email from Tesla that he will have more information on his leasing question later today, so it's partly about a leasing program at a minimum.
Kind of makes sense, they need to keep the reservations rolling in, have to keep demand up, and lack of a US leasing option has kept many high end buyers away, many in this category/price range only lease...

Elon tweeting about putting his money where his mouth was made me vote: " Tesla/Elon to set up financing/leasing program." It made the most logical sense to me. Guess we'll know in a few hours...

Elon tweeting about putting his money where his mouth was made me vote: " Tesla/Elon to set up financing/leasing program." It made the most logical sense to me. Guess we'll know in a few hours...

It does fit the bill because lease rates in particular are predicated on favorable residual value at the end of the lease term. If Tesla were to offer really good leasing rates (i.e., better than any ICE car at the same price point), it would be Elon "putting his money where his mouth is" in terms of being better than ICEs and holding their resale value etc. I think it's either this or swappable batteries, and would put my money on this because an affordable lease rate opens the car up to people who could otherwise not afford the car. That's the kind of game changer hinted at in his other tweet (this is more consequential than Q1 profitability).

Today Elon announces (on his nickel) that Costco and Walmart will put Solar City panels on their roof’s & a Tesla SuperCharger at all their stores…worldwide!

my speculation …. (not based on any inside information)

Last edited: