Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make their own inverters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, Elon was quite proud of their in house inverter engineers. Basically said that they made the best inverters in the world for the Model S, so they could or would make a solar inverter that was 2x better than what was out there. Hard to believe, but what do I know.

He quoted a low cost per watt. Probably playing defense somewhat as the solar panels may come in pricey per watt.

I hope they can keep the total system cost just a bit above market. I'm guessing a 20% premium will work. Although Sunpower's premium is higher. Tesla is going to need to come up with power optimizers to be competitive with SolarEdge. My guess is that this technology will be integrated into the panels.

Should be a slick system.

I guess SolarEdge doesn't have a broad patent (which I guess I already knew since they do have competitors with the same architecture). I guess this explains why the inverter manufacturers weren't too quick to support Powerwall...

Still, with now an expected end of year date for an integrated Powerwall/Solar Panel/ Inverter system, this'll be, like 1.5 years after expected Powerwall initial sales. That's about right for Tesla: 1.5 years late...

I guess this also explains why the Gigafactory hasn't installed solar panels yet on its roof. Waiting for the Solarcity panels that have everything built in.

with now an expected end of year date for an integrated Powerwall/Solar Panel/ Inverter system, this'll be, like 1.5 years after expected Powerwall initial sales. That's about right for Tesla: 1.5 years late...
Tesla announced the Powerwall/Powerpack products on May 1, 2015. They did not announce that they were immediately for sale, nor did they announce they would be making an integrated storage battery/inverter product. So your "1.5 years late" calculation is inaccurate and misleading.

Reactions: lklundin
Here's my question:

If one were poised to purchase, say, a 10k system that included a SolarEdge inverter and a Powerwall, would it be better to wait a year or so to see if an integrated Tesla solution that's superior/cheaper, etc. comes to fruition?

Here's my question:

If one were poised to purchase, say, a 10k system that included a SolarEdge inverter and a Powerwall, would it be better to wait a year or so to see if an integrated Tesla solution that's superior/cheaper, etc. comes to fruition?
This could be like someone asking if he should buy the Model S now or wait for an update. The answer is "who knows"?

I have the storedge inverter awaiting a powerwall. Now what is Solaredge's incentive to keep updating the inverter software or providing support? I guess it will take a few years before Tesla produces an inverter. And the inverter does have a 10 year warranty.

Here's my question: If one were poised to purchase, say, a 10k system that included a SolarEdge inverter and a Powerwall, would it be better to wait a year or so to see if an integrated Tesla solution that's superior/cheaper, etc. comes to fruition?
I am having a 9.8kW system installed on my roof this month, with a SolarEdge inverter and a Powerwall. I've been waiting 16 years, even since I bought my house, to get solar, because I always wanted an effective and efficient storage battery so that I could have power during a grid outage. I'm not going to wait for the next version of the Powerwall which will very likely have an inverter and be better in a variety of ways.

I do anticipate, in 5 to 10 years, adding another Powerwall and maybe some more panels on my roof. At that time, I hope that the new Powerwall with built in inverter will allow me to replace my SolarEdge inverter and connect to my existing Powerwall.

I do anticipate, in 5 to 10 years, adding another Powerwall and maybe some more panels on my roof. At that time, I hope that the new Powerwall with built in inverter will allow me to replace my SolarEdge inverter and connect to my existing Powerwall.
Given the relatively small number of PowerWalls that will be installed with the SolarEdge inverter, I would not expect them to design the next generation product with internal inverter to integrate with the old DC-only PowerWall at all.

Given the relatively small number of PowerWalls that will be installed with the SolarEdge inverter, I would not expect them to design the next generation product with internal inverter to integrate with the old DC-only PowerWall at all.
My bet is that they will. If they don't, that's okay too. My system will serve me just fine as is. Installation of my PV/Powerwall system is scheduled for next week. I'm super excited!

• Love
Reactions: SageBrush