Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Sell Solar/Powerwalls at Home Depot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kind of ticks me off. I've been waiting 6 months for a Powerwall. You'd think that they would satisfy some of their orders before going out to hustle more.

Panasonic seems to be ramping up GF1 battery production rapidly, much more than what is needed for the current car lineup. Tesla is probably expecting to produce and ship significantly larger volumes of energy storage products in 2018 and are expanding their retail presence and "hustling more orders" in anticipation of this.

Source; "carsonight" on Disqus. He has family members working at GF1 and has been a reliable source of information for the past 1 or 2 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
As long as the new orders don't go before you, why would you not want them to build a backlog?

I have no problem with that, EXCEPT from what Tesla is telling me, most of their supply to being installed on the west coast.

They tell me that they aren't developing the installer base in Texas right now because they don't have product to ship. And what product they do have, is going to places that have an installer base.

So it is almost a self fulfilling prophecy. No products sent to Texas, so no installers, and since no installers, no products shipped here.

I have to add, that communication from Tesla is not 'next to zero'. It is absolutely ZERO.

I'd say a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. And right now, they are pissing off the ones they have in hand, and spending sales resources in the bushes. Resources that could be used for those of us who have already made deposits. How much would it cost to send an email updating us on our status ?

There's more like 40,000,000 in the bush. I don't see Tesla jumping on Powerwall installs outside of super mature solar install markets until they decide to inject themselves back in the pseudo-nationwide solar marketplace. A year or so?

They did take my deposit money, and they knew where I lived. This is the second most populous state in the country, and we have plenty of sunshine and wind.

Are we casting business ethics aside ?

Or are we selling to more people than we can ever service, and then only complete the sale on customers with the highest margin ?

I saw them put up a display at the Home Depot in Cupertino today. They have a Powerwall (maybe just the shell) on display and a Tesla Rep in front. I asked the rep when one could expect an appointment for a Powerwall, but he had no clue. He could only talk about Solar installs, which I thought was ironic since he was standing in front of a Powerwall. The Powerwall was bigger than I expected for some reason.

As another data point, they (Tesla) are also (semi-cold) calling owners in Virginia. I'm trying to get some more info (here) before I call back. Some story about owners get a credit. Really? Maybe we can refer ourselves, even in a state where we can't get referral awards. :D And don't have TOU plans... and a kWh is $0.11.... Sigh...

Wonder how much backlog a PW and Tesla Panels would be on the East Coast? I was looking at a 9kW system about a year ago (from Solar City) and decided it wasn't worth it, since no real incentives here except the ITC.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mickey Mouse
Yesterday in my Home Depot in Hayward I happen to see a shell only powerwall 2 also on display, yes it did seem larger up close, so when I need to go back I will measure it 45x29 inches for accuracy, it might be larger so people can see it from a long distance in the store , I still waiting for my DocuSign from my TA on the cost of ☝️

As another data point, they (Tesla) are also (semi-cold) calling owners in Virginia. I'm trying to get some more info (here) before I call back. Some story about owners get a credit. Really? Maybe we can refer ourselves, even in a state where we can't get referral awards. :D And don't have TOU plans... and a kWh is $0.11.... Sigh...

Wonder how much backlog a PW and Tesla Panels would be on the East Coast? I was looking at a 9kW system about a year ago (from Solar City) and decided it wasn't worth it, since no real incentives here except the ITC.
For anyone that hasn't heard, this turned out to be that we (Virginia and Ohio) can self-refer and get five years more warranty. Not bad for nothing. We can also refer other people for solar, and since it's not a 'car' deal, no one cares. Ooookay.