Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-in experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that all car dealerships trade-in are crappy but, in exchange, I think they offer convenience. Anyone have experience with trading in their vehicle with Tesla on day of delivery? Are their trade in price ridiculous??

I did it when I got my Model S about a year ago. Tesla actually had an extremely good offer, better than Carmax or dealers offered, and about what I could have expected selling privately. I was not expecting that, but it was nice. Others have had different experiences, so don't count on getting a good offer, but I would at least get the offer to see what it is.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
I was very satisfied with what I was offered on my trade in and the fact that Tesla is offering my old car on their cpo site for about 5k over what they gave me makes me feel as if I was given a very good value for my car.

My Model S has "curb rash" on the very bottom of the front of the car, some chips and scratches, and a couple wheels with scuffs. When Tesla makes their offer for trade-in, it's without seeing the car. My question...do they make an an adjustment to their offer when they see the car in person?

My Model S has "curb rash" on the very bottom of the front of the car, some chips and scratches, and a couple wheels with scuffs. When Tesla makes their offer for trade-in, it's without seeing the car. My question...do they make an an adjustment to their offer when they see the car in person?

They will now. My advice is to stop post stuff that is wrong with your car on a public forum with your VIN listed.

They will now. My advice is to stop post stuff that is wrong with your car on a public forum with your VIN listed.

I doubt the adjustment team sits on this forum. It's not my full VIN, and there's nothing really "wrong" with my car. Matter of fact, they record everything when the car goes in for annual maintenance so it shouldn't be unknown to them. Every time they've picked up the car they nitpicked every scratch and scuff. If they were going to look anywhere, they'd probably go to their own service center. My question is, has anyone had their quote adjusted lower when they physically looked at the car again? Or is it strictly a number they generate from their formula based on age, miles, etc.?

before trade in they have an inspector come visit your car and conduct a thorough inspection, they will find visible defects like yours

My trade in experience was good and incredibly simple. I had a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. Pretty much gave me what was KBB with deductions that made sense (-$1,500) or so due to a new rear bumper being needed and a new set of tires being needed as well.

Your experience will vary though depending on what the wholesale market goes for.