Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade-in offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla still match the Carmax appraisal offer? i saw different answers, could someone clarify with their recent experience?

In addition, Tesla says its trade-in offer is good for 30 days. But if my MY is delivered outside that time window , will they still honor their trade-in offer?

No and no. Tesla stopped matching Carmax June 1 I believe and outside of the 30 days they will update your offer. I just had mine updated today as my delivery is next week and it dropped about $3000. I just ran my car through Carvana and Vroom and the offers were much better even accounting for the sales tax savings if I trade through Tesla. I'm going to give Carmax another shot Saturday so we'll see.

Yep, I couldn't even get them to match my Carmax appraisal prior to June 1 because it had a contingency notices on it due to the fact that Carmax wasn't test driving the cars because of Covid at the time. My Tesla offer dropped too much after getting re-evaluated. So I will just sell directly to Carmax after I take delivery.

That’s too bad. If they simply decide not to match carmax, I can understand. But if the offer drops value b/c of a belated delivery caused by them, that doesn’t seem reasonable.

No and no. Tesla stopped matching Carmax June 1 I believe and outside of the 30 days they will update your offer. I just had mine updated today as my delivery is next week and it dropped about $3000. I just ran my car through Carvana and Vroom and the offers were much better even accounting for the sales tax savings if I trade through Tesla. I'm going to give Carmax another shot Saturday so we'll see.
Yep, I couldn't even get them to match my Carmax appraisal prior to June 1 because it had a contingency notices on it due to the fact that Carmax wasn't test driving the cars because of Covid at the time. My Tesla offer dropped too much after getting re-evaluated. So I will just sell directly to Carmax after I take delivery.

I placed my order for MY in mid-may. I got the text saying to get all documents together by June 1st for a mid-to-late june delivery. I got a carmax offer and my delivery associate originally said they wouldn't match the carmax offer because at the bottom of the carmax offer, it says they are not doing a full inspection, but my offer letter didn't say this, so they accepted my carmax offer. I think it just depends on who you have working with you. Hopefully my car comes before the offer expires.

How did you get in contact with the “delivery associate”? Did they contact you in the first place?

Same here, I got a text message from Tesla asking me to submit all the trade in information ASAP in order to get an early delivery. If I have known all the tricks, I might wait a little longer to request the trade in offer.

I placed my order for MY in mid-may. I got the text saying to get all documents together by June 1st for a mid-to-late june delivery. I got a carmax offer and my delivery associate originally said they wouldn't match the carmax offer because at the bottom of the carmax offer, it says they are not doing a full inspection, but my offer letter didn't say this, so they accepted my carmax offer. I think it just depends on who you have working with you. Hopefully my car comes before the offer expires.

Does Tesla still match the Carmax appraisal offer? i saw different answers, could someone clarify with their recent experience?

In addition, Tesla says its trade-in offer is good for 30 days. But if my MY is delivered outside that time window , will they still honor their trade-in offer?
They quit matching Carmax offers on 6/1. My experience was that their trade-in offer was very low, even given the current COVID 19 environment. They bid almost 20% below the lowest wholesale trade in value.

How did you get in contact with the “delivery associate”? Did they contact you in the first place?

Same here, I got a text message from Tesla asking me to submit all the trade in information ASAP in order to get an early delivery. If I have known all the tricks, I might wait a little longer to request the trade in offer.

by delivery associate, I mean the sales person at the store. It is the same person I’ve been communicating with in Nashville.

See what sites like Carmax, Carvana etc. will offer you
I got more than $4K more than the Tesla trade-in offer that expired anyway (and would no doubt be much lower now) by listing my MS on eBay.
I know some of you in states that offset the trade-in to the new vehicle price get a tax break that militates trading in over private sale, but the disparity between the two these days is so absurd it can't be financially wise to trade it in for $4-$20K less than market price.

I sold my car to a local dealer. I contacted Tesla asking whether they can match. No response period. So, I’m not going to rely on it anymore, given all the uncertainty around their trade in process. I’m quite disappointed so far with Tesla’s customer service.

I got more than $4K more than the Tesla trade-in offer that expired anyway (and would no doubt be much lower now) by listing my MS on eBay.
I know some of you in states that offset the trade-in to the new vehicle price get a tax break that militates trading in over private sale, but the disparity between the two these days is so absurd it can't be financially wise to trade it in for $4-$20K less than market price.

Reactions: InternetDude
My trade in M 3 LR RWD was 39,700. 12400 miles. Carvana was 5 K less. I have a MVPA and the new car is paid in full. New delivery date of June 25th is is five days later than the original date. My new 3 is stuck in Chicago waiting on a truck to deliver to Dedham MA. I accidentally paid my balance when I was setting up my bank for final payment. So now I’m hoping the car is perfect or worst case a small due bill. If Tesla reduces my trade in value I’ll be really pissed.