Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade-in offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, if you read the early replies to this post, several folks said so. In my case, I tried to contact Tesla to see if they’d possibly match it. I just didn’t get any response. So I went ahead to trade in it at another dealer. The dealers appraisal is $1400 higher than the Tesla offer.

I read a few times from various places that Tesla stopped price matching carmax June 1st

Ordered first day last year; made change in order 19 days ago. Received an embarrassing offer of $3000 below Carmax offer made on 5/28 for luxury SUV. Then I got them to match Carmax for 30 days. Unfortunately, when their current offer most likely expires, after 30 days, I expect them to “low ball” me again. At that time, I expect to cancel. Tesla’s practice of trying to greatly profit on trades has evidently turned off a lot of buyers. I haven’t heard from anyone who has felt satisfied with Tesla’s offer for their vehicle.

Ordered first day last year; made change in order 19 days ago. Received an embarrassing offer of $3000 below Carmax offer made on 5/28 for luxury SUV. Then I got them to match Carmax for 30 days. Unfortunately, when their current offer most likely expires, after 30 days, I expect them to “low ball” me again. At that time, I expect to cancel. Tesla’s practice of trying to greatly profit on trades has evidently turned off a lot of buyers. I haven’t heard from anyone who has felt satisfied with Tesla’s offer for their vehicle.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I got Tesla to match my CarMax offer. Tesla offered an embarrassing $10,000 for my car. CarMax offered $16,500. I am still making payments on my car, so the tax savings of over $1,000 mattered a lot to me. I got the text message before June 1st to get all my stuff in for a mid-to-late June delivery, so naturally I did. I'll be very disappointed if I lose my trade in match as well as having to reapply for financing.

I just received a request to update the mileage so they can re-value my trade in. We shall see if there are any major changes.
I got the same text, then after sending, an email saying my trade-in was updated. It was updated to zero, so I called the guy who sent the text and they are going to ask everyone for 5 more pictures: front/back/side/side/dashboard.

I would say the probability that my offer goes down is close to 100%.

Offer only valid for 30 days
Understood, but nothing was said about that when I signed all my paperwork and had my credit union transfer funds. The last communication I had stated The Trade In verified your documentation and your account is all set. Overall they are not doing this in a proper sequence. The reevaluation of the trade should have been done prior to my paperwork being signed. It wasn't so I assumed they were accepting the original value.

My car is being re-evaluated for appraisal and status on my reservation page rolled back from Preparing for Delivery to Trade-In Appraisal.
The SUV is 11 years old and Tesla was originally only offering 2600 for it (which was fine, the car drives fine and great inside (leather and all), but shows plenty of rust, living near the ocean). During original appraisal, I offered to send them photos of rust and other nicks and scrapes that the car accumulated over the years, but they didn't care - just wanted to know if it drives.

On a positive note, there isn't much they can cut from 2600 down, though if they offer nothing of value, I'd rather just cancel or postpone the reservation since the car works perfectly fine and I don't want to throw it away for pennies. Don't have time to deal with private car sale or alternatives right now.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Understood, but nothing was said about that when I signed all my paperwork and had my credit union transfer funds. The last communication I had stated The Trade In verified your documentation and your account is all set. Overall they are not doing this in a proper sequence. The reevaluation of the trade should have been done prior to my paperwork being signed. It wasn't so I assumed they were accepting the original value.
I know it,, I thought I was all done & locked in too...

Incredibly poor communications on Tesla's part. I was told on June 4th I was "all set". They need to train the delivery team on clear communications. Now I owe an additional $515 to get the car. This is so sad. Tesla is a better company than this. It is hard not to feel taken advantage of in this case. Not to mention I was one of the folks that put down $2500 15 months ago. I'm very disappointed. Unfortunately, I'm going through with the deal, which in some ways sends the wrong message to Tesla. I guess this is the price we pay for being on the bleeding edge. :(:mad:

My offer was cut by 12%, from $43,000 to 37,800 with only a couple of hundred extra miles on the car.
OMG! So sorry to hear that. Mine only changed by $515 but it was undervalued from the start. I've been e-mailing with Tesla all morning. They are saying the trade quote expired but I signed the paperwork for the deal on June 4th and assumed any time factors started then. So be warned, check with Tesla on all of your dates. They asked me not to fill in the dates when I signed the paper work and sent it back to them. I trusted them and got bit. Not happening again. I will refuse to not date anything I sign. I'm having to start over on the paper work for the purchase because they decided to do this at the last minute. I feel a bit like an idiot for continuing on with this as I feel I'm rewarding bad behavior. And for icing on the cake, I can't pay the $515 as Tesla's link to my bank is down and they won't take a friggin' credit card. I have a sick feeling my delivery will be delayed because of this.

Offer only valid for 30 days

Th323, were did the 30 day/ 1000 miles disclaimer appear for the limit on the trade in value? I can't seem to find it anywhere. It certainly isn't on the MVPA or any other document I signed. Is it something that appears once, like when you enter your trade in information and then disappears? Just trying to retrace my steps and see where I may have screwed up.

I got a text yesterday to send in a new odometer photo to revalue my trade. I did that immediately (roughly 400 miles in three months). Later in the day my the new mileage appeared in the source code of my manage page, so I know the updated data is reflected in my account. So far the trade-in value has not changed. I'll believe it when I see the MVPA.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I got a text yesterday to send in a new odometer photo to revalue my trade. I did that immediately (roughly 400 miles in three months). Later in the day my the new mileage appeared in the source code of my manage page, so I know the updated data is reflected in my account. So far the trade-in value has not changed. I'll believe it when I see the MVPA.
I got an email when they had the new value. I had to go to my account page to acknowledge it. I’m not sure what happens if the value doesn’t change.