Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the paint, being not acrylic - very soft, Ca EPA stuff.

But I blame Mrs. Musk (his mom) because she did post a video months ago with her M3 going through the automatic car wash.

Wait, what does this have to do with the stock price?
I don't think the paint per say is softer. My 3's paint seems better than the paint on other cars I've had, knock on wood. At the same time, Tesla's selling cars as fast as they can make them, and since they do operate in CA, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to use different solvents that evaporate differently.

That, coupled with the car very quickly going to a consumer as opposed to being trucked off to dealers to sit on a lot for weeks or months, leads me to suspect that the "soft" paint people complain about it really just paint that hasn't fully cured. Ideally Tesla could let the cars sit a bit more and/or people could avoid driving next to trucks hauling gravel at 70+mph after they pick up the car.

This doesn't just apply to the paint IME. The trunk struts and door latches have also loosened up over time, which may be something other manufacturers try to do before delivery. I believe the touchless carwash warning is more about the cameras/sensors than it is about paint.

This isn't targeted at Lycanthrope in any way but rather at the people that does follow Jeff Osborne. At what time does these people have any TSLA? After the first 5 sell ratings you would assume they'd sold the ones they had. Does his customers keep on buying TSLA whenever he's not looking and then he can swoop in and save them with a sell rating? I literally can't understand how this is supposed to work?

I'm not selling and as he has a 50% success rate I would rather have the dart throwing monkey, the success rate should be the same and it IS a monkey. So his messages can't be for intelligent longs like me? Then whom is his intended target?

Last edited:
I don't think the paint per say is softer. My 3's paint seems better than the paint on other cars I've had, knock on wood. At the same time, Tesla's selling cars as fast as they can make them, and since they do operate in CA, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to use different solvents that evaporate differently.

That, coupled with the car very quickly going to a consumer as opposed to being trucked off to dealers to sit on a lot for weeks or months, leads me to suspect that the "soft" paint people complain about it really just paint that hasn't fully cured. Ideally Tesla could let the cars sit a bit more and/or people could avoid driving next to trucks hauling gravel at 70+mph after they pick up the car.

This doesn't just apply to the paint IME. The trunk struts and door latches have also loosened up over time, which may be something other manufacturers try to do before delivery. I believe the touchless carwash warning is more about the cameras/sensors than it is about paint.
I agree with everything except for the very last sentence. Paint, tires, and mirrors all suffer from touchy-feely car washes.

OT :

fact that some third world countries have to use 25 year old captains with limited experience
Can you show me where you gleaned this great "fact" from ? How many of the "third world" captains are 25 years old with limited experience ?

You are just doubling down on racist tropes.

Let us take these conversations to the political thread.

Last edited:
No car should go through a standard car wash. Assuming you place any value on your paint, mirrors, or tires.

Or drive through a Haboob dust storm, or freeze and get scraped, hit a pot hole, sit in the sun, or get pee'd on... I agree.

I captured a video where I stuck my hand into a large spinning cloth buffer. FYI, there's really no pressure there to speak of, maybe some dirt from the last car is all. Your rag or brush would have about the same force/friction IMO. And Re: Camera damage from water pressure... But rain/wind is OK at 75 mph? Hail is fine too?

I think of it more a cumulative wear effect. Biggest threat here would be the sun in Az. And if you hand wash here, you need your own dedicated water softener/pressure system, or use vinegar-water to remove spots which probably isn't good either. Stalls also have high pressure, so can someone please enlighten me as to the correct way to wash in Az that doesn't cost $3,000? And don't say dry method because now you're just dragging dirt across it.

Ya, totally OT! As if topic makes any sense right now.

Reactions: Sudre
Can you show me where you gleaned this great "fact" from ? How many of the "third world" captains are 25 years old with limited experience ?

Many foreign airlines rely on US trained pilots...or US training facility's. It is simply because the US has a lot of training schools.
UND and Embry Riddle would have a much tougher time without foreign contract's.

In the US we have a lot of "Young" (they all look young to me) Captains in either the regional or even Major airlines due to many retirements.

Age is not the determining factor. Training and currency is. The sad fact is Automation has eroded many pilot's skills to the point when the "magic" breaks they don't have a robust toolkit.

When I train pilot's I ALWAYS make them turn off as much automation as we can and hand fly the plane.
It can be a real eye opener.

Edit...sorry way OT delete as needed.

I bought a few more shares @ 264 to drive down my average price.

I also definitely feel the X / S refresh is coming. I think they are going to pimp out a 400 mile range for the long range versions of the S. Maybe 325-350 for the X?
I'd like to see 450 - 500+ mile range option for a very premium, high profit price. Just to see Tesla lead the pack in another way for people to speak about with awe.

Reactions: capster
The dip of today isn't related of Tesla
Take a look of other Nio - Gm -2.5%
And others macros are Red Red
My take is that - whenever there is "news" that can be interpreted as confirming the short thesis - the SP will go down because shorts get emboldened to sell short.

When it is the other way round i.e. the news is mostly interpreted by shorts as negating the short thesis, the SP will go up because they aren't selling short.

Ofcourse, the macros can amplify, since then the bots are selling as well.

ps : So, today we have 2 news reports that can be interpreted as confirming the short thesis - the analyst note and the reintroduction of referrals.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and UncaNed
"Trading on the swings" is what's amplifying this bullied stock to extremes IMO. The rest is BS like the Self Driving Top Ten list I read yesterday (devoid of Tesla). Sure, just pick criteria to prove any point - I think 1/10 of the criteria is the actual technology.

And to fuel that effect even more, I'm officially out of cash and all in today. Now holding 1,150 REAL shares, more than I ever dared. Thought today was going to be a turn-around with the "EPIC" production push news. Isn't that a sign of demand? Duh!!!

View attachment 389241
Wouldn't "trading on swings" tend to have a moderating effect on the swings rather than increasing the swings? Or is that only because I'm thinking of simply buying shares high and selling shares low vs. the calls and puts you guys mostly mess with?

Funny you mention that. One of my friends is reluctant on investing in TSLA because he questions where TSLA will be in 5 years from now if they’ve grown so much and have progressed the EV market in the past 5 years—without any change in SP.
I can’t argue with him because I’m sure he made a lot more money holding other stocks over the past 5 years. Only reason I’ve been able to make money and put it towards our Tesla is by trading on the swings.

Where’s all the longs at that were saying they wouldn’t even sell at $420 when Musk tweeted he would take it private.
Let’s just try get to $300 again for the 90th time and make some more money.
Oh hi, I'm right here, still hodlign. (and hoping) (and sweeping the couches) o_O

It's the paint, being not acrylic - very soft, Ca EPA stuff.

But I blame Mrs. Musk (his mom) because she did post a video months ago with her M3 going through the automatic car wash.

Wait, what does this have to do with the stock price?
It will all come out in the wash. Just a matter of spin cycle, yanoe. :p

This doesn't just apply to the paint IME. The trunk struts and door latches have also loosened up over time, which may be something other manufacturers try to do before delivery. I believe the touchless car wash warning is more about the cameras/sensors than it is about paint.

And I bet they don't break in the engines either, lol.

I have some rock prints on my nose piece (warrantee?). When I touched them up I noticed how soft they were. I bet I could peel it with some needle-nose. Acrylic would be impossible to "peel", so I confirm this is soft paint.

Great, now we all get to dream about our paint peeling off...

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I also definitely feel the X / S refresh is coming. I think they are going to pimp out a 400 mile range for the long range versions of the S. Maybe 325-350 for the X?
It will be interesting to see how they roll out the refresh - whenever it comes.

It would be best to completely sell off old inventory before announcing refresh - and from next day start delivering the refreshed model. But that is difficult because once they start manufacturing the new refreshed S&X - the news will leak. Ofcourse, this stealth change always results in people getting who just bought the older model angry. With legacy OEMs atleast it is very clear when the refresh is coming - and the older model gets discounted quite a bit to move them off the lot.

Tesla will probably introduce the refreshed model at a higher price - and potentially lower the price of the inventory S&X. This way people buying the older model know what they are getting. I think in this case transparency is good.

OT :

Let us take these conversations to the political thread.
OT.
But anecdotally... a pilot friend was stuck teaching someone who literally "lives in a mud hut" to fly a twin engine turbo-prop because his father ranked high in that country's military.

Please send me the link for the correct thread. I dislike contributing so much OFF TOPIC stuff, but I had a personal, significant contribution to this issue I had to say something. This was not anyone trying to be racist; it was a simple statement of fact that sometimes racist-sounding things actually just happen in real life.

Reactions: Don TLR
MOD:

ZERO further discussion on:

BA // 737Max // pilot experience and so forth

Car washing. Lots of posts in a carwash thread....somewhere else on TMC

If you wonder whether what you're about to write....or post...in this thread, look at this thread's title. 'Nuff said?

This tendency for SO MANY of you to must have the last word is bordering on the obsessive. I'm not sure, however, on what side of that border it is.

~~~Vetinari~~~