Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I thought the objective was to get some of the smaller fish the prizes. Based on the above, then It's the people with the most referrals (i.e., the media stars) that will get it. But I suppose, since you can't win twice, it will eventually get to the smaller fish, but only after giving prizes to all the media stars first. Am I correct in this?

The objective is to promote Tesla and move as many Teslas as possible.

The tech youtubber with over 8M subscribers does this so does the general interest youtubber with over a million subscribers.

Attracting Casey Neistat with over 11M subscribers and Pewdiepie with over 87M subscribers into the Teslaverse accomplishes that.

The above I would categorize as media stars. The Tesla specific youtubbers with ~100k subscribers are doing the yeomans work of marketing for Tesla. They started their channels way before the referral program. Some gave up their day jobs to promote Tesla. Good on them for winning Model S/X Ludicrous and Roadsters.

Now about Fred.....

SP action is so ugly. Seems the shorts have a tight grip. Using macro as excuse but the SEC overhang is the main stopper right now. I really hate SEC so much that I may start to protest against them, likely holding posters (**** the SEC!)

The demand issue has at least been clarified by Elon’s email.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I am interested in whether EM will ask for an evidentiary hearing. My current bet is no. But again they may specifically ask for oral argument. I do t know the local rules on motion argument so there may be an oral argument normally without asking for one.

My understanding:
  • The reason the SEC didn't support an evidentiary hearing is because all their theories rely on undisputed evidence.
  • I am very certain that Elon's team will ask for an evidentiary hearing, becase it's the only way to get the following pieces of evidence admitted:
    • The expert opinion and expert testimony Elon's first reply relied on in part. The SEC would want it either excluded as inadmissible, or have it at least cross-examined. They might also want to submit their own expert opinion.
    • The lawyers negotiating the settlement could issue affidavits and be subject to cross-examination. This establishes a chain of evidence regarding "intent". Both settlement contract intent and Elon's intent when he was writing the tweets matters.
    • Elon's team might want to call hostile witnesses from the other side, to cross-examine them against email evidence and other testimonies.
    • Various email chains might not be undisputed, because incomplete or lacking other context such as attachments.
    • If Elon's team wants to play hardball they could ask for limited discovery to support their theories. (I don't think they will, the interesting bits will be under attorney client privilege.)
  • A contempt hearing typically only takes testimony from the defendant. This is good for the SEC but not enough for Elon's team.
All these pieces of evidence would be appeal-proof if properly handled, and the evidentiary hearing would allow them to be catalogued and recognized by the court, or at least a proper mechanism would be established to get them admitted.

Note that contempt of court hearings have very little procedural framework that I could find - they are free-form to a large degree, with a lot of discretion given to the judge. I have no idea what she wants this to become - and asking the parties gives her a first approximation about how much evidence there is to handle.

My (tentative) guess: there's probably going to be an evidentiary hearing, before a contempt hearing is held. The judge would want all evidentiary disputes resolved by the time she is asking questions from Elon.

So I've started to be sure to mention the Model 3 starts at $35k now when people ask me about the car. Looks like I just blew someone's mind here in the office. I have no idea if that is something feasible for him but I bet there are huge numbers of people who would consider a Tesla but just don't know that they are relatively affordable.

Deionized Water system. I used CR Spotless.
MOD:

ZERO further discussion on:

BA // 737Max // pilot experience and so forth

Car washing. Lots of posts in a carwash thread....somewhere else on TMC

If you wonder whether what you're about to write....or post...in this thread, look at this thread's title. 'Nuff said?

This tendency for SO MANY of you to must have the last word is bordering on the obsessive. I'm not sure, however, on what side of that border it is.

~~~Vetinari~~~

I agree, my apologies, and I did take it offline before reading this.
Like I said, some days nothing makes any sense here and, for the record, wasn't my topic to start. But I did feed on it...
My bad.

I haven't checked Spiegel's account for a long time on twitter, but today I found this - Mr. toothbrush blocked me. Interesting that I am not that active on twitter. I just post sometimes replies to tslaq posts, to remind them that they might be wrong.

View attachment 389214

Weirdly he hasn't blocked me. I've give him a lot of *stevia* over the years, but I'm still there. Other short bear trolls do it after a single exchange.

OT: Norway delivery numbers at 220 again for today (and still going up). More importantly, in the "all time high score" of EV sales the Model 3 has now surpassed the Mercedes B-Class (EV) and is the top 11th EV all-time-sale in Norway after only 5 weeks of delivery... (Model S is top 4 and Model X is top 6 right now)

Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge

It is a big 'club' that you and I have joined......'Honey (If I am lucky that is what she calls me) how is TSLA doing today?

<cring/changes the subject as quickly as possible>

I'm lucky - wifey knows it's a long-term thing, we have 15 years until retirement age, it can go up a lot before then. I doubt we retire earlier even if it shot up.

Absolutely love this. What other car manufacturers would do this? Service is their dealerships biggest profit maker.

Dan

Yeah, I just paid $550 to get my wiper blades replaced and my tires rotated, but I think it is a great move by the company and good news for the owners. No, seriously I got a nice long report telling me how the car passed with flying colors, and I am fine with it.

I actually love the part about delegating the simple maintenance to owners, and even better, to the mere mortals at your local auto repair shop. I live 100 miles from the closest Tesla Service Center, and would like to go there only for serious problems that require their Tesla-specific knowledge, including all warrantee work of course. But I don’t yet trust local auto shops to not screw up my car even for something simple. Any data on that? Useful both for owners and investors to know how well this will work.

Big plus for the company (and for investors) is the lightening of the load on Tesla Service Centers, giving us better turnaround and quality for the money, cashing in on that real difference in maintence costs for EVs, and driving that competition home with the dealership model.

I'd like to see 450 - 500+ mile range option for a very premium, high profit price. Just to see Tesla lead the pack in another way for people to speak about with awe.

I like the extra cash flow generator suggested here, but are we shooting for disposable batteries, single charge? I'm going from 310 to 325 mi range soon (someday) and I have yet to need that much... anywhere. It's overkill to fight an false problem (unless you tow or live up North, or do Uber maybe.)

I came up with something yesterday that describes the near future. "Range-anxiety will soon be reserved for ICE vehicle owners." Think about that.

This will only get resolved when BEVs hit critical mass and enough agree that it's LESS stress than with gasoline. But I do agree, sell it if people want to pay the premium - for my portfolio's sake.

Reactions: UncaNed
I like the extra cash flow generator suggested here, but are we shooting for disposable batteries, single charge? I'm going from 310 to 325 mi range soon (someday) and I have yet to need that much... anywhere. It's overkill to fight an false problem (unless you tow or live up North, or do Uber maybe.)

I came up with something yesterday that describes the near future. "Range-anxiety will soon be reserved for ICE vehicle owners." Think about that.

This will only get resolved when BEVs hit critical mass and enough agree that it's LESS stress than with gasoline. But I do agree, sell it if people want to pay the premium - for my portfolio's sake.

What higher ranges than 300 will allow is faster transit times.

My understanding:
  • The reason the SEC didn't support an evidentiary hearing is because all their theories rely on undisputed evidence.
  • I am very certain that Elon's team will ask for an evidentiary hearing, becase it's the only way to get the following pieces of evidence admitted:
    • The expert opinion and expert testimony Elon's first reply relied on in part. The SEC would want it either excluded as inadmissible, or have it at least cross-examined. They might also want to submit their own expert opinion.
    • The lawyers negotiating the settlement could issue affidavits and be subject to cross-examination. This establishes a chain of evidence regarding "intent". Both settlement contract intent and Elon's intent when he was writing the tweets matters.
    • Elon's team might want to call hostile witnesses from the other side, to cross-examine them against email evidence and other testimonies.
    • Various email chains might not be undisputed, because incomplete or lacking other context such as attachments.
    • If Elon's team wants to play hardball they could ask for limited discovery to support their theories. (I don't think they will, the interesting bits will be under attorney client privilege.)
  • A contempt hearing typically only takes testimony from the defendant. This is good for the SEC but not enough for Elon's team.
All these pieces of evidence would be appeal-proof if properly handled, and the evidentiary hearing would allow them to be catalogued and recognized by the court, or at least a proper mechanism would be established to get them admitted.

Note that contempt of court hearings have very little procedural framework that I could find - they are free-form to a large degree, with a lot of discretion given to the judge. I have no idea what she wants this to become - and asking the parties gives her a first approximation about how much evidence there is to handle.

My (tentative) guess: there's probably going to be an evidentiary hearing, before a contempt hearing is held. The judge would want all evidentiary disputes resolved by the time she is asking questions from Elon.

what would the time frame for the verdict be, if there's going to be an evidentiary hearing? trying to manage risk...but I just added more $TSLA here as I think this SEC thing is overblown (non-material tweet, worst case probably a fine). M3 demand/deliveries looking to be very strong, while stock price is way too depressed. This will be a coil spring comes April delivery announcement in about 10 days.

Reactions: qunqun
And I will air dust your CPUs, buff your cameras, and give your batteries a free charge so you can keep on computing.
I think euphemisms are frowned upon here. :)

Was looking as if the shorts were going to pull the SP closer to $260 today.
Perhaps next week, judging by weekly open interest below $170.

Elon's comment on a hypothetical 2021 S/X refresh:

Elon Musk on Twitter
"No such thing as a “full refresh” at Tesla or even a model year. Our cars are partially upgraded every month as soon as a new subsystem is ready for production. There is no cadence."

So for the foreseeable future S/X will just be tweaked with incremental upgrades just as Tesla have done in the past with the revised nose, center console, better battery etc.

Potential caveat: Plans change fast at Tesla.

In other words expect a significant partial refresh soon. :p