Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts on this is that we as investors need to look at the bigger picture here. We can't be greedy and just think about the stock price. And I'm not just talking about the larger environmental mission. I am talking about the human equation. We are all human beings with our own styles, peculiarities, and differences, which need to be respected. And more often than not, brilliant visionaries like Jobs, Musk, Einstein, etc. don't always follow the norms of society. We as investors can't have it both ways. We can't say, yes Elon, do your brilliant visionary thing, but please behave "normal" (if that's possible to even define). That, IMO, is impinging on his personal freedom and his ability to express himself and be himself. It is a violation of human freedom. Moreover, it may even be the case that it is impossible for him to be brilliant and visionary and "normal" at the same time. Musk is not a whore, where we can take what we want from him and disregard the rest. He is not to be shackled down, and his brilliance siphoned from him for our sole benefit. No. He is a human being, like me and you. You get the whole package, the whole human being, with all its "flaws", peculiarities, and eccentricities. And, IMO, if Tesla fails as a result of this, so be it.

This guy is brilliant and he's doing amazing things. We need to have patience and tolerance and stand with him and defend him. That's our job as investors. This is why I chafe when I hear bulls like Munster, Gerber, and Gali sometimes criticize Musk about his tweeting and other stuff (or worse, say that he should step down as CEO, while remaining the visionary chief or something). If even us bulls keep crapping on him, what do you think is gonna happen? Musk is gonna just take his foosball and go home. He doesn't have to do crap. He can just walk.

Now, he's obviously human and not perfect. But unless he's committing some serious crime, my inclination is to let him be. And of course this doesn't mean that we can't criticize Musk or Tesla. It just needs to be in a more constructive fashion. But then some of you might say what about the 420 tweet and other such nonsense. My response is that bears and bulls alike need to have a more nuanced understanding of the man. When I saw that tweet and the news, I was surprised like everyone else. But I didn't go buying additional shares or options then. In fact, I was debating selling some of my position, since the stock had a huge run up. We all know what Musk is like. Maybe it's for real, maybe it's not. It's the stock market. Anything can happen. No guarantees (you want a guarantee, go buy a bank CD). There was nothing definite there in Musk's tweet, only a possibility. No official communication from the company. No SEC filing. If some bulls bought on that news and got burned, then chalk it up to inexperience and lack of insight. Live and learn. (And really people, this stock has bounced up and down between 250 and 380 how many times now. I thought we bulls were the smart ones. Whose buying at 380 or even 350? Plenty of opportunity to buy at lower prices -- like right now!)

Okay, I could go on, but I'm tired and starting to ramble. But I feel strongly about this. But I also feel strongly about each of us, as investors and human beings also, to have the ability to express different viewpoints here at TMC and elsewhere, though we may all be bulls. I'm not at all supportive of the idea that only nice things or "correct/accepted things" can be said about Musk and Tesla here at TMC. Group thinking or herd thinking is dangerous. Musk doesn't do herd thinking (remember how he stayed on Trump's task force at the beginning even though liberals gave him heat), and neither should we. We've all, myself included, likely had a few disagreements (thumbs down) on some of our posts. And that's fine and good. All right folks, till my next ramble...

Agree TIMES 1,000,000..... The full post but I did highlight a few things...

Gotta listen to people like him and Tamberrino with a half a star rating on tipranks who can't beat the mattress fund, and definitely don't listen to those bums at Arkk who are long TSLA:

v91QAXC.png

OT :
What is interesting, is that in the aviation community, articles and expert opinion are putting the blame on poorly trained pilots from less developed countries who aren’t following the correct procedure to disable automatic trim control, and not with the aircraft itself.
So FUD or racism - what to believe ;)

BTW, looks like Boeing had some "safety options" that some airlines didn't buy. Now they are going to offer that for free. Seems damning me.

I’m getting so much grief from my better half over our heavy investment in Tesla! Having the SP lower now than it was 5 years ago when they were only making the Model S and had no gigafactory, etc, is crazy! Let’s get to 420 already!!! :(
You needing an SO to give you grief? I give myself enough about it every day, I don't need someone else to do it for me!

I think we are going to see Tesla announce the S (and possibly X) refresh when Q1 sales numbers are announced.

I think the end of the Standard range S is a hint, and I think it may happen at or around Q1 sales numbers so Tesla can put lower S&X sales in the "retooling for refresh" category. Long Range will become new standard range, and Long range/P will go to ~400 mile range.

I still think a refresh of S/X is coming(despite Elon's tweet) but at this point with the range increase they gave to the LR Model 3 and the increased power across all Model 3 variants, it would only make sense to have the Long Range(and really Performance version) S available anymore. That's the only way to clearly differentiate the 3 and S with S's performance package and larger size(more cargo/room). So Tesla dropping the S short range isn't really an indication...…….but I want to believe :rolleyes:

...meanwhile 6’2” and a bit hefty Elon is sitting in one of those tiny grade school chairs, with 4 laptops up and running on 4 little desks, scanning data & docs on 2 while FaceTiming with legal AND delivery braintrusts back at HQ on the other 2. The principal, with stern look and arms crossed just outside the classroom door wards off any of the curious drawn to the colorful & loud language coming from inside.

While I am bullish this is incorrect. Tesla would continue to build cars even if demand were an issue. They are obligated to buy the parts from suppliers regardless of their ability to sell. As such their only options are to build the vehicles or let the parts pile up. Hence the narrative that Tesla might be selling the 35k M3 at no margin or even a negative margin as that would be preferable to the balance sheet brutality of letting parts pile up.
Regarding the obligation to buy - shouldn't be surprised if there is flexibility built into the contract. There may be some penalties for not buying - but it is normal in the industry to reduce production to match demand.

I’m getting so much grief from my better half over our heavy investment in Tesla! Having the SP lower now than it was 5 years ago when they were only making the Model S and had no gigafactory, etc, is crazy! Let’s get to 420 already!!! :(

Funny you mention that. One of my friends is reluctant on investing in TSLA because he questions where TSLA will be in 5 years from now if they’ve grown so much and have progressed the EV market in the past 5 years—without any change in SP.
I can’t argue with him because I’m sure he made a lot more money holding other stocks over the past 5 years. Only reason I’ve been able to make money and put it towards our Tesla is by trading on the swings.

Where’s all the longs at that were saying they wouldn’t even sell at $420 when Musk tweeted he would take it private.
Let’s just try get to $300 again for the 90th time and make some more money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudre and BornToFly
OT: I was surprised that apparently the Model 3 is not meant to be sent through a standard car wash per Tesla.

Tesla asks owners NOT TO USE CAR WASH - Model 3 Club

It's the paint, being not acrylic - very soft, Ca EPA stuff.

But I blame Mrs. Musk (his mom) because she did post a video months ago with her M3 going through the automatic car wash.

Wait, what does this have to do with the stock price?

Regarding the obligation to buy - shouldn't be surprised if there is flexibility built into the contract. There may be some penalties for not buying - but it is normal in the industry to reduce production to match demand.

What you're saying makes sense. But imagine the impact on Tesla financially and on Tesla's share price if they exercised this option. Likely we would be looking at $265 as "the good old days." It would be truly ugly. Far better to get cars out the door, fulfill the 35k promise, attempt to upsell those 35k buyers and work frenetically to improve margins.

Reactions: bdy0627
It's the paint, being not acrylic - very soft, Ca EPA stuff.

But I blame Mrs. Musk (his mom) because she did post a video months ago with her M3 going through the automatic car wash.

Wait, what does this have to do with the stock price?

LOL nothing, these days I do my best to distract from looking at it. My 100% portfolio investment in TSLA at this point causes me far too much stress.

OT :

So FUD or racism - what to believe ;)

BTW, looks like Boeing had some "safety options" that some airlines didn't buy. Now they are going to offer that for free. Seems damning me.
Those options make things more “idiot proof.” The question is what do they have to provide for free that isn’t technically necessary? Like Tesla with Autopilot. I remember the days when responsible Tesla drivers didn’t have to constantly put pressure on the steering wheel. We all got screwed because of a few bad eggs....

Those options make things more “idiot proof.” The question is what do they have to provide for free that isn’t technically necessary? Like Tesla with Autopilot. I remember the days when responsible Tesla drivers didn’t have to constantly put pressure on the steering wheel. We all got screwed because of a few bad eggs....

Yeah I loved the no nag days. Ironically, back then autopilot was much less safe. Now AP is fantastic and I'm harassed every 15 seconds.

Funny you mention that. One of my friends is reluctant on investing in TSLA because he questions where TSLA will be in 5 years from now if they’ve grown so much and have progressed the EV market in the past 5 years—without any change in SP.
I can’t argue with him because I’m sure he made a lot more money holding other stocks over the past 5 years. Only reason I’ve been able to make money and put it towards our Tesla is by trading on the swings.

"Trading on the swings" is what's amplifying this bullied stock to extremes IMO. The rest is BS like the Self Driving Top Ten list I read yesterday (devoid of Tesla). Sure, just pick criteria to prove any point - I think 1/10 of the criteria is the actual technology.

And to fuel that effect even more, I'm officially out of cash and all in today. Now holding 1,150 REAL shares, more than I ever dared. Thought today was going to be a turn-around with the "EPIC" production push news. Isn't that a sign of demand? Duh!!!

3-22-2019 9-42-30 AM.png

I do like the idea being floated to outsource the bug fix prioritisation list to users.

As you would know, a big problem with bug lists and feature requests is duplication. The list grows faster than it shrinks - many users reporting, limited developers fixing. And the last thing you have resources for is to read the list looking for duplicates. At least with a user prioritised list, it would be the most appreciated stuff being worked on. It's like outsourcing the least fun job, for zero cost.

Absolutely. Would be critical to do some culling/duplication checking work ourselves before Tesla engineers see it.

Other issues:

1. Separating bugs from feature requests. The line is not always clear, and sometimes a bug is best fixed by adding a new feature.
2. Priority - expect and encourage Tesla to have a very different view of priority than we do, because lots of factors play into it.
3. Quality - need simple steps to reproduce the problem, plus all the info on what release, what car, etc

FOR REFERENCE, please take a look at the “TeslaTap” website, and find the “Desired Features” section. They have done a nice job curating this, including a moderator-assigned values for “desirability”, “likelihood”, and “difficulty”. This is a feature list, not a bug list, but as I said the overlap is inevitable.

REAL TRICK is to get some buy-in and active participation from Tesla engineering, else it’s will just wither and fade away.

Last edited:
True. " putting the blame on poorly trained pilots from less developed countries" - is essentially a racist FUD. Afterall "poorly trained" is just a prejudiced opinion being stated as a fact.
How is the fact that some third world countries have to use 25 year old captains with limited experience racist or prejudiced opinion? Computers in airliners have dumbed down piloting, until real piloting is required. They haven’t had accidents in the US with the same planes because the older, more experienced, and better trained pilots in the US have correctly disabled the automatic trim when they needed to.

PS. - I didn’t mean to start a new topic. Small point about BA and TSLA action getting pulled sideways...

It's one of those "I swore my next vehicle would be an EV" things, and here I am, still waiting years later.... ;)

It’s truly worth the wait. No car in history is so easy to drive well. I expect the Y will be a dream as well.

I hate to admit how sweet the looks of "Wait. Whaaa? How are *you* driving a Tesla?" from acquaintances with bimmer/merc/audi cars were after I’d been driving a used 15 year old pos for nearly a decade (I saved for it; that’s how).

Guess I truly need to sit and practice my compassion and non-attachment. :oops: