Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another article on executive departures...only this time it's not Tesla.

Here's how much Ford stock has lost under outgoing CEO Jim Hackett

Hackett’s surprise retirement is just one part of the management churn over the recent past. He leaves six months after the departure of Chief Operating Officer Joe Hinrichs, who retired in early February after nearly 20 years at Ford. Now-CEO Farley was named COO with the Hinrichs departure. Long-time Chief Financial Officer Bob Shanks retired in mid-2019.

“Between Hinrichs’s unceremonious departure in February to Hackett’s unexpected early retirement, the upper echelon of Ford leadership has struggled to find stable footing for some time,” said Jessica Caldwell, an analyst with Edmunds. “Wall Street has shown its lack of confidence as the stock has languished for years under Hackett’s leadership.”

I just don’t get it are they dumb or are we stupid? What is it?

Here are these so called analyst playing down TSLA for over a decade and Elon has to to prove himself over and over again to convince them. Now suddenly comes a “nothing to show for” big mouth Trevor. He is issuing an IPO on nothing and immediately after that, selling $70 million worth of stock just so he can buy the biggest house in Utah. In the mean time there is absolutely nothing and I mean nothing to show for. He puts up a great circus for a ground breaking ceremony for his new factory, which just remains that - one single spade of dirt of broken ground. Nothing more.
In the mean time Tesla is pumping out factories in China, Germany and Texas like there is no tomorrow and the same analysts go ‘meh’.

Are we the only ones who see though this con artist, or what is it? I really don’t get it anymore.

(So that was my rant for for the month - had to let out steam. Thanks)

Forgot to mention. They even bought a private jet! Talk about getting priorities straight.

Is that really the definition? Humans can't drive in every condition for that matter. Personally I've only had AP fail due to heavy wet snow accumulating on the camera or salt spray. I do think some sort of mini windshield wiper/spray nozzle for the cameras are needed though. It is annoying to get out on a roadtrip and clean the side cameras.

yeah- see the SAE chart posted a few posts earlier by Humbaba

Level 5- "This feature can drive the vehicle under all conditions"

Versus Level 4- "These features can drive the vehicle under limited conditions and will not operate unless all required conditions are met"
and then in the bottom right it lists as the difference in example features for L5 "same as level 4, but feature can drive everywhere in all conditions"

I'm not certain that my Model 3 can do it, but I very much expect them to make sure my Cybertruck can.

Interestingly the Model Y added a heater for the front radar that the S/X/3 all currently lack.

Tesla's aware the sensor suite on most of the fleet is not capable of L5 even if they've not stated it clearly/publicly.

I agree seeing what they do with the Cybertruck sensors will tell us a ton about what happens going forward.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Cadillac unveils its all-electric "Lyriq" on Thursday.

Cadillac to Reveal the Electric Lyriq

The auto industry is in broad agreement that the future is electric, but Tesla has managed to not only harness early-mover advantage but launch must-have products that are beating just about everything else in the luxury segments. And the success goes beyond the market’s high end: In California, the Tesla Model 3 is even beating the Honda Civic to become the best-selling passenger car in the state. Today, Tesla alone commands 60% of the U.S. electric vehicle market.

Luxury EVs such as the Porsche Taycan, Audi e-tron, and Jaguar I-Pace (all very credible) are struggling to get attention. So the Lyriq, which is expected to cost between $75,000 (Luxury) and $90,000 (Platinum), has to really stand out.

Global car sales peaked in 2018 at 79 million. I expect them to continue to slide or maintain about that level over the next decade. 20 million cars would be over 20% of the total which I think is very doable.

Any fall in sales in the fully industrialized countries will be more than made up with sales in China,India,Africa,Latin America and Southeast Asia/Indonesia.

And those 79M are just passenger car sales and doesn't include the "tweener" vehicles that are really dual purpose commercial/passenger.

Include everything and it is closer to 100M units,

Slightly OT but I think it’s worth asking here. How do people with more than 250k account value handle the lack of FDIC insurance over 250k in a single account? I’m coming close to this point and need to start planning...
You can open multiple accounts so that each account does not exceed 250k if its a traditional brokerage....IRA and 401k's are different stories.

Any fall in sales in the fully industrialized countries will be more than made up with sales in China,India,Africa,Latin America and Southeast Asia/Indonesia.

And those 79M are just passenger car sales and doesn't include the "tweener" vehicles that are really dual purpose commercial/passenger.

Include everything and it is closer to 100M units,

Good point. (Just to have fun and open a can of worms) I wonder what will happen to demand and production of new vehicles when(and if) Tesla establishes its robotaxi network on a large scale? At that point maybe we will stop thinking of the automotive side of Tesla's business in terms of vehicle units and more as number of miles traveled by said fleet.

Slightly OT but I think it’s worth asking here. How do people with more than 250k account value handle the lack of FDIC insurance over 250k in a single account? I’m coming close to this point and need to start planning...
The hard way is to open multiple accounts at different brokerage firms and keep each one under $250k.

The easy way is to have a trustworthy broker which isn't going to go bankrupt anytime soon. So maybe once you hit $250k you should switch from Robinhood to a real broker. ;)