Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone see the information that VW's dieselgate fix only works between 10C-32C? :eek::eek::eek:

BTW., that's likely another layer of intentional fraud by VW, which matters to a critical temperature regime of diesel engines: winter performance ...

(IIRC in the U.S. and in Canada one of the highest running cost of diesel trucks is to maintain the exhaust cleaning systems in winter, and I believe they even have federal permission to 'roll coal' in northern states and in Canada - i.e. to turn off all exhaust cleaning systems (!).)

This is possibly going to re-start the statute of limitations for all pending consumer lawsuits.

ECVGLeMXUAA3Dyh

if my 2015 model S has this feature...its pretty crap. I drive at night around a lot of sharp corners with zero street lighting. I've certainly never noticed it. TBH on a £70k car you would expect stuff like that now.
But then tesla still don't have that sensor under the tailgate that let you wave your feet to open the trunk hands-free, and even some cheap cars have them.

And although personally I don't like em, those animated turn signal lights are also a 'modern' feature not on a model S.
But TBH I'd settle for them just fixing the horrendous crap software bugs in the tunein application, which works for me maybe 10% of the time. For all their bragging about software, they sure have a buggy entertainment system.

Still better than 99% of other cars...but people are used to apple & android software now that *just works*, and so far the tesla software is not that good. I fear Tesla resting on their laurels software wise, whereas they really need to give that area some more attention.

FFS its 2019 and I cant set waypoints in navigation, nor toggle an option to see nearby car parks. Come on guys...

And although personally I don't like em, those animated turn signal lights are also a 'modern' feature not on a model S.

I was with you up until this point. Please Þór no, Tesla, do not start using those things. I hate them with a passion - they're distracting as all get out and should be banned. Why not turn the entire rear of the car into a huge digital screen and broadcast Netflix videos while you're at it, or maybe a big hypnosis spiral?

Also, I disagree that people are used to software "that just works" in car infotainment systems. Tesla generally ranks top in infotainment system satisfaction rankings, not because it's perfect, but because most of the competition's systems are annoying or buggy in some way or another.

Last edited:
if my 2015 model S has this feature...its pretty crap. I drive at night around a lot of sharp corners with zero street lighting. I've certainly never noticed it. TBH on a £70k car you would expect stuff like that now.
But then tesla still don't have that sensor under the tailgate that let you wave your feet to open the trunk hands-free, and even some cheap cars have them.

But TBH I'd settle for them just fixing the horrendous crap software bugs in the tunein application, which works for me maybe 10% of the time. For all their bragging about software, they sure have a buggy entertainment system.

Still better than 99% of other cars...but people are used to apple & android software now that *just works*, and so far the tesla software is not that good. I fear Tesla resting on their laurels software wise, whereas they really need to give that area some more attention.

FFS its 2019 and I cant set waypoints in navigation, nor toggle an option to see nearby car parks. Come on guys...
As we learned from the horses mouth, all effort is on FSD (for quite a while now). So the other software modules are left to a few interns, I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Yeah. I don’t believe they invented the deflationary boom theory to draw people to their fund. I imagine somebody was a keen historian and observer and identified the parallel conditions, and that led to their selection of disruptive industry stocks.

They’ve been talking about the yield curve flattening for a while. They had no way to be certain it would invert. Prescient.
They probably heard about it from reading @neroden posts

There may not be an app store since all apps must be validated for the safety of the passenger and the car's reliability. But the popularity of a Tesla with many units sold dilutes the licensing fees and the engineering cost vs say the iPace that sold only 190 cars last month. This essentially allows Tesla's true cost per app to be a dollar or two spread out over millions of cars.
In addition, people are likely to pay more for an App (or theme) for a five or six figure car that they will keep for several years than they are for a three or four figure phone that is often kept for only a year or two. I'd pay a fair amount for a V6 looking user interface.

Just arrived in Dublin, Ireland and picked up my rental car at the airport. What a shock to go from one-pedal driving my P3D to struggling with a worn clutch and operating three pedals on some POS nondescript Ford diesel CUV while adjusting to life on the opposite side of the road! The fumes are disgusting and I can feel a headache coming. I knew I was spoiled, but this really drives home the point of how primitive and poisonous ice cars (and diesel in particular) are and how they're a massive societal and environmental liability. Tesla and EV domination cannot come soon enough!

A little off topic, but goes into market perception...

I find it odd, that the IIHS has elected to crash test the e-tron only a few (3?) months after its introduction despite the low (2500) sales figures, yet it has not tested the Model X in 4 years with 130k+ being on the road globally. And they are only about to test the Model 3, a car with about 300k units on the road.

So now Audi can claim first EV that is a "Top Safety Pick".

The S was tested and did not get top marks due to the small overlap offset test (along with headlights and roof strength on the heavest P100D). @bhzmark's take on that (which I agree with) is that the shape of the pack (front corner) results in the car being stopped by the post instead of rotating around it. The X has the same pack shape and likely would have the same issue. Note: the low CG is a detrimant to pulling off a pirouette.
You can see the moment the barrier reaches the pack:

The offset test was added after the S was launched, so not a lot Tesla could do at that point.

The 3 pack does not have this feature to get caught on and the front suspension is designed to fracture such that it causes the car to slide away from the obstacle.

I could hypothesize that the S and X now have the break to deflect suspension, but have no data on that.

Thread from the second attempt in 2017:
IIHS Small Overlap Front Crash Test (2nd Attempt): Only Acceptable again.

I hope everyone watched Rob Baron on CNBC Squak Box - All the FUDster panelists were very quiet when he spoke about Tesla :D

In other news, there is an ongoing Dumdum on Dumdum fight going on in this twitter thread :

Joe Nocera on Twitter
Joe Nocera
@opinion_joe

Aug 19
Here’s my take on the $MDXG brouhaha. Spoiler alert: ⁦
@AlderLaneeggs and his allies are trying to destroy a company whose products offer a major advance in wound care.
The real $MDXG fraud is the short-selling campaign. First of two columns:

giphy.gif

:p

I hope everyone watched Rob Baron on CNBC Squak Box - All the FUDster panelists were very quiet when he spoke about Tesla :D

In other news, there is an ongoing Dumdum on Dumdum fight going on in this twitter thread :

Joe Nocera on Twitter

giphy.gif

:p

Yes he did, and that's why I said and I still believe, despite all the disagrees, that the company and Musk have a credibility issue at the moment. If you look at what Tesla is doing, where the legacy automakers are, Tesla would be getting the benefit of the doubt rather than picking every little nit.

Mr. Barron did a great job of laying out the opportunity.