Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You presented the part about huge jumps in insurance premiums as being an important part of the analysis that was missed, implying it would affect everyone. It's a false narrative routinely pushed by short-sellers. It wasn't true for me and others also spoke up to say how it wasn't true for them.

I'd be happy to be wrong about your motives here but otherwise don't want to discuss it. Other posters here show up with the obvious intent to mislead and lie to help their position in the stock. I wonder what the dollar amount per post is worth to them. If they can make big moves in the price of TSLA, my relatively small purchases certainly will have little effect in disincentivizing their behavior. But what the hell, I'm getting stuff I want/need and supporting a company I love.

Just bought the tire repair kit, btw. View attachment 468210

Thanks, hopefully the SP goes up with that purchase.

Clearly, I was referring to the article and my own experience about insurance rates being a lot more compared to an Accord. The article was not comparing any other car to the 3 other than an Accord, and neither was I.

As you say, there are obvious instances of cheaper rates if coming from other cars.

Not sure how you came up with the conclusion that I was generalizing the comparison of rates to every car out there. Will it be cheaper than Porsche, Ferrari, some BMW’s? Yes.
Will it be a lot more than a Honda/Toyota? Yes.

Okay? We good man? Lol.

• Helpful
Reactions: dc_h
I wonder how much they make on their shop? Things are constantly sold out at random, it seems they could offer even more in the shop but they have to be bringing in a pretty penny on this. Snow tires are sold out currently haha

It's a small amount, if I recall correctly from their filings with the SEC.

It would be interesting to know the average amount spent per Tesla car owner in purchasing Tesla brand apparel and other items. The tire repair kit I purchased was, frankly, overpriced. But I don't care. The brand has a hold on me as it does others.

I just think buying Tesla products in response to posts from trolls or other anti-Tesla actors is fun.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think the writing is on the wall
uxa2Qsy.png

Last edited:
Thanks, hopefully the SP goes up with that purchase.

Clearly, I was referring to the article and my own experience about insurance rates being a lot more compared to an Accord. The article was not comparing any other car to the 3 other than an Accord, and neither was I.

As you say, there are obvious instances of cheaper rates if coming from other cars.

Not sure how you came up with the conclusion that I was generalizing the comparison of rates to every car out there. Will it be cheaper than Porsche, Ferrari, some BMW’s? Yes.
Will it be a lot more than a Honda/Toyota? Yes.

Okay? We good man? Lol.

Funny, we own a 2015 Honda CR-V (getting rid of it for the Y). Approximately $280 more per year to insure the Model 3. Is that "a lot more?" Can post image if you like.

You said "6. Biggest miss: No mention about insurance premium difference. When we first swapped out an Accord with a Tesla, the difference was $800/yr cheapest quote among the bigger names."

It's a small amount, if I recall correctly from their filings with the SEC.

It would be interesting to know the average amount spent per Tesla car owner in purchasing Tesla brand apparel and other items. The tire repair kit I purchased was, frankly, overpriced. But I don't care. The brand has a hold on me as it does others.

I just think buying Tesla products in response to posts from trolls or other anti-Tesla actors is fun.
It may be a small number now but as the number of Tesla owners increases it will obviously grow. Elon funded some Boring projects off a hat and flamethrower. The Tesla store should be able to fund some nice projects for the company.

Reactions: Johnny Ma
I think your sense of scale is all wrong here :) These aren't racks; this structure is massive. It's the same sort of construction used for the "tall" parts of the main building.

Each row of the aging racks was like 80cm tall. These are the height of a small crane.

Cells are coming from LG.
1 tWh confirmed. ;)

"Strong and steady breezes are helping states in the central U.S. generate so much electricity from wind turbines that wholesale power prices have fallen below zero. It’s a relatively new phenomenon in America’s spot power markets. When there’s an overabundance of solar or wind, grid operators send prices plunging to negative levels -- a signal to generators that they need to take supplies offline so they don’t overload transmission lines. On Friday, wind output surged to as much as 17,264 megawatts across the Southwest Power Pool -- a grid that stretches from North Dakota to Texas. That’s more than 60% of the region’s power. Power prices fell below negative $10 a megawatt-hour for much of the region. Negative electricity prices are becoming commonplace in parts of the U.S. including California and Texas as utilities bring online massive solar and wind farms that have no fuel costs. Texas, Iowa and Oklahoma are home to more wind power generation than any other states. Kansas, Minnesota and North Dakota are among the top ten wind-producing areas."

https://www-bloomberg-com.cdn.amppr...elow-zero-in-middle-america-amid-strong-winds

IMO it is important to share the concept that power companies are already giving away power - at least from the Renewable Energy Sources in their portfolio. That solidifies that the concept of Free Energy in the Green New Deal is very achievable, and it will raise awareness to the benefits of rapidly deploying a Distributed Grid that is powered by 100% renewable sources that includes residential and commercial rooftop solar with storage and wind. This is all great news.........well, um, at least it is great news for consumers and for people who love this beautiful planet

"Strong and steady breezes are helping states in the central U.S. generate so much electricity from wind turbines that wholesale power prices have fallen below zero. It’s a relatively new phenomenon in America’s spot power markets. When there’s an overabundance of solar or wind, grid operators send prices plunging to negative levels -- a signal to generators that they need to take supplies offline so they don’t overload transmission lines. On Friday, wind output surged to as much as 17,264 megawatts across the Southwest Power Pool -- a grid that stretches from North Dakota to Texas. That’s more than 60% of the region’s power. Power prices fell below negative $10 a megawatt-hour for much of the region. Negative electricity prices are becoming commonplace in parts of the U.S. including California and Texas as utilities bring online massive solar and wind farms that have no fuel costs. Texas, Iowa and Oklahoma are home to more wind power generation than any other states. Kansas, Minnesota and North Dakota are among the top ten wind-producing areas."

https://www-bloomberg-com.cdn.amppr...elow-zero-in-middle-america-amid-strong-winds

IMO it is important to share the concept that power companies are already giving away power - at least from the Renewable Energy Sources in their portfolio. That solidifies that the concept of Free Energy in the Green New Deal is very achievable, and it will raise awareness to the benefits of rapidly deploying a Distributed Grid that is powered by 100% renewable sources that includes residential and commercial rooftop solar with storage and wind. This is all great news.........well, um, at least it is great news for consumers and for people who love this beautiful planet
As I’ve noted before on this forum, there are Texas energy providers that are offering free power 9 pm to 6 am in an effort to shift the demand curve. A perfect match for overnight EV charging.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Last edited:

Once any grid has high levels of Renewable Energy, there are regular periods of excess electricity...

Our Australian National Electricity Market (NEM) can have prices swinging in a very wide band from -$1,000 to $1,000 per MWh.
It is a slightly dysfunctional market, with strange bidding rules and practices, but it is a preview of what to expect if you have too much RE, and not enough energy storage.

The 2 best energy storage options are Pumped Hydro and batteries, batteries can be deployed quickly, and that is very convenient...

If Tesla Energy gets the price of energy storage batteries in the right ballpark, they will fly out the door, every solar farm should have 4 hours worth of energy storage, and when they do that is the final nail in the coffin for coal generators...

For such a small thing, batteries are poised to have an out-sized impact on the world...

As I’ve noted before on this forum, there are Texas energy providers that are offering free power 9 pm to 6 am in an effort to shift the demand curve. A perfect match for overnight EV charging.

They must be running generators that can't quickly stop and start like coal, and not have large 24/7 industrial loads...

That is the other risk with migration to RE, if energy prices spike high there are some 24/7 industrial loads that can't wind back, they can close which in turn closes coal, again energy storage is the only viable solution...

Reactions: dgodfrey
Once any grid has high levels of Renewable Energy, there are regular periods of excess...

If Tesla Energy gets the price of energy storage batteries in the right ballpark, they will fly out the door, every solar farm should have 4 hours worth of energy storage, and when they do that is the final nail in the coffin for coal generators...

For such a small thing, batteries are poised to have an out-sized impact on the world...

Coal is dying all on its own. Grid storage will kill off the NG peakers (coal boilers are not good peakers because of slow fire-up rate).

They must be running generators that can't quickly stop and start like coal, and not have large 24/7 industrial loads...

That is the other risk with migration to RE, if energy prices spike high there are some 24/7 industrial loads that can't wind back, they can close which in turn closes coal, again energy storage is the only viable solution...
Here’s the ERCOT mix. There’s a lot of NG, so I can’t tell you why they don’t spool down more of it on windy nights.
89FCAFE0-F682-4FA6-8A9B-2FE1A73D4BE7.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Tomorrow will be another day ?

Would not be surprised to find Elon working on the line as we speak.

Startup dates in all industries tend to slip.
You don't find some problems until the last minute.
Probably start up on Thursday. If Q3 has some negative bullet points then you minimize the slide, if Q3 numbers are good then you double up and send The stock to space. Regardless they essentially wrote a semester long essay 6 weeks early and now have time to do a thorough spellcheck.

Reactions: SpaceCash