Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. Elon's tweet from July comes to mind:
Elon Musk @elonmusk
Jul 28 Replying to @Teslarati
Tesla is open to licensing software and supplying powertrains & batteries. We’re just trying to accelerate sustainable energy, not crush competitors!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1288265150928125952?s=20

I know a lot of people on this forum pushed back when the idea of Tesla selling batteries or powertrain to other manufacturers was mentioned, but (just thinking out loud here) I think a deal of some sort with VW would:
a) REALLY legitimatize the fact that Tesla does have superior tech, a nice moat, no matter what GJ says, and
b) give analysts another ongoing revenue stream to add to their calculations, which they could use to justify their higher SP predictions, so we may hear a little less of that "but, the fundamentals don't justify the SP".
I'm not saying that I'm all for a deal with VW, just trying to think of an upside. ;)

Reactions: ABCTG and Quesder
Offer special discount prices to police Tesla cars at super chargers. Build more super chargers especially in higher crime areas.

Tesla cruisers will charge at these areas. Increase Tesla drivers safety and rest of area.

Win win win and more win for everybody.

Counterpoint: Not a win when there are a bunch of cops hanging around while I’m vaping during charging. :cool:

My dad is a retired CHP officer and back in the day it was not unusual for him to put 250 or more miles on a unit during a shift. He would usually have to fill up with gas once during mid-shift to make it until the end. Just part of the process and routine. Officers and crew would need Tesla operations and maintenance training along with required tools, chargers, etc.
With that much fuel/maintenance savings they could probably afford to buy each officer 2 vehicles and swap them out mid-day. ;)

OK, I kind of need to call you out on that; I’m not dismissing that police officers are busy. But there is downtime and there are superchargers in extremely safe locations. There’s really no excuse for not being able to keep a police car charged and save the citizens of the community what we know to be a significant amount of money annually.

Not disagreeing and not sure what you are calling-out. I am just saying they would need to either supercharge at a charging station or charge back at the maintenance garage when needed and plug-in at end of shift. Just like they could fill with gas at a gas station or at the maintenance garage.

Fine to charge while multi-tasking. Police officers should provide public visibility so best to charge in easily accessible and visible locations.

Reactions: gabeincal
My dad is a retired CHP officer and back in the day it was not unusual for him to put 250 or more miles on a unit during a shift. He would usually have to fill up with gas once during mid-shift to make it until the end. Just part of the process and routine. Officers and crew would need Tesla operations and maintenance training along with required tools, chargers, etc.

250 miles ? Just plug in to top off your 320 mile vehicle over night when parking like everybody else.

Reactions: Christine69420
Whoot, whoot, sound a da police -

USA Police Model 3 - Now You Know - haven't seen this posted. Police use seems ideal. No point engine running time being 60-75% idling just to keep equipment, HVAC running.

Does anyone else see a *yuge* potential for cyber truck in LEO space? It actually seems like a complete no brainer to me. Performance, storage, lower cost per mile, comfort, badass, etc. They would literally pay for themselves. How many vehicles per year is the police, sheriff, CHP market?
Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-5.41.31-AM.jpg

Last edited:
250 miles ? Just plug in to top off your 320 mile vehicle over night when parking like everybody else.

Police swap cars sometimes, so more than one shift would have the car and thus require it to be charged multiple times in a day. As it's probably the only electric one, I'd bet this is the case.

Last edited:
With that much fuel/maintenance savings they could probably afford to buy each officer 2 vehicles and swap them out mid-day. ;)

They really beat the crap out of their patrol units and routinely burn tons of gas on acceleration, pursuits, response, and idling (paperwork, visibility, monitoring traffic, etc.) I think police EVs would save significant gas, pollution, money, and time.

You mean 4.8 shares @ $2010 (pre-split)?

Congrats! I don't know you had it in you!

Thanks. I figured it was time to get in all these profits you guys keep talking about. ;)

And I studied the chart and it seems like a good time to buy. I am hoping with the big announcements that are sure to come on Battery Day plus all the other good news like Giga Berlin & Giga Texas under construction, New FSD features coming, and maybe Model S Plaid, that the stock has a lot of potential for growth.

Patrol units get worse mileage than the average car because of how they are used. Number of miles driven, acceleration, terrain, elevation, city/highway, weather, etc. all contribute to the specific mileage efficiencies. I would think officers would certainly try to charge without disrupting a shift, but I don't know if it would always be possible.

Reactions: Nocturnal