Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are unaware...stupid...full of themself to the point I thought of this.

cake-gif.586645

She misspelled *sugar*. :p

Any AI /Python wizards around? We could use an algo that hides from view (on demand) low quality OT posts, and also optionally ON Topic lower quality ones too. Barring that, maybe simply require an [OT] be inserted for each such post by the author, and/ or a self delete timer, say 3 day. And thanks to the mods for their tireless excellent job!
A suggestion. Even in AH, perhaps OT posts should use a different color text? Many of us enjoy them in moderation, some don't or at least want to skip them when trying to catch up. You could easily scroll past say every post with blue text and catch up with the meat.

[Okay -- let's try orange then for unimportant and/or OT posts since blue is not very readable in dark mode. Can you read that on a white skin?]

Very strong pre-market action and volume ($386 +$20 at the moment) portend a close above $400 today is my gut instinct... and Battery Day is only 12 days (less than 300 hours) away! Can't wait for that!

Looks like it was just a one-day sale. I was too slow to convert some of the boring O (Realty Income) in my son's taxable account into more exciting $TSLA. I was up too late the night before and overslept through lunchtime PDT.

Last edited:
I’m shocked my friends don’t see it either. What I hear the most from them is that they think competition is coming and they like the other car companies better. Also if you look at Tesla as only a car company it’s market cap does look overvalued. The combination of competition coming and high market cap makes the stock price look like a bubble.

Inform them that everything else is just a town car. Only Tesla has a global charging infrastructure and other cars can't use this system. You can drive your Tesla cross county in many countries and other cars in basically no countries. Tesla is an ecosystem, a Volt is just a car, a Taycan is just a car.

You can charge your Tesla in 15 minutes, time for a bio-break and a coffee refill. Tesla is an ecosystem, providing a car, a driver assist solution, a charging system, a home energy solution and they are also providing the building blocks of a more reliable cheaper grid that will drive down the cost of operations for years to come.

This may sound like the ramblings of an idiot, but with regard to the casting machines, maybe Elon's plan is to have recycleable cars. If they can manufacture a shell from the cast pieces along with the new wiring in place, then when a vehicle gets totaled, a new shell is supplied and the components from the old shell get transferred to the new one resulting in a quicker repair. The old shell then gets recycled.

The above quote, even though part of a Tesla-vs.-Lucid discussion on technology, got me thinking about the large cast structural pieces and all the news that permeated in recent days (the 8 large HPDC machines to be installed at Giga Berlin, Elon’s comments during his visit there, etc.). Here’s what I’m considering:

What if... a large part of the Model Y/3 underbody (if not all) will be made of just a few large cast Al alloy pieces, with only a few hardened steel beams used for cabin crash protection?

And what if, aside from the obvious advantages of:
1. faster manufacturing (casting a few large parts vs. stamping many steel sheet pieces and welding them together while clamped in place by multiple robots) and of
2. lower weight,

another advantage would be:
3. the cast underframe acting as a large heat sink for the battery pack?

We know that:
- Tesla is moving away from the battery cells-to-modules-to-pack paradigm and towards the cells-in-pack architecture
- the biggest limitation in terms of power output (acceleration and maintained high speeds) and input (charging) for a battery pack is the thermal management
- Tesla recently applied for a tabless cell design, having as a major advantage the much improved cooling rates of the individual cells due to a higher contact surface area between the current collectors and the metal cans (made of Al)
- Finally, Al alloys have a very good heat conductivity coefficient, second only to Cu alloys amongst engineering materials, and about one order of magnitude (oh yeah, I went there!) higher than steels.

So what I’m thinking is, if you use a large cast piece of Al for the subframe and you put it in direct contact with the battery pack, suddenly your passive cooling improves significantly and your active cooling requirements drop dramatically. Which consequently means that you need fewer/thinner liquid cooling channels in the battery pack, and you spend less energy running the active cooling system. And that would match Elon’s comments that Tesla is rethinking the whole structural architecture of the Model Y, and it is directly related to what will be discussed on Battery Day...

Of course, I might be totally wrong. We will find out in less than 2 weeks.

Any AI /Python wizards around? We could use an algo that hides from view (on demand) low quality OT posts, and also optionally ON Topic lower quality ones too. Barring that, maybe simply require an [OT] be inserted for each such post by the author, and/ or a self delete timer, say 3 day. And thanks to the mods for their tireless excellent job!
Everybody hates that I keep harping on this, but a simple way to tally my personal rating of each post and an algo that reduces the font size of subsequent posts proportional to each poster's rating would sure make this forum easy to use. No one else's input would be available to see between accounts, though metadata might be useful to others to set their ratings somehow.

Opt in to this feature by paid subscription.

Not sure I like the delete timer.

Bentley is working on pineapple ( animal free ) leathers. While others are exploring mushroom leathers. These will be expensive options to eliminate the leather.

Bentley Goes Vegan and Leather Alternatives 101 | Vegan Interior Design & Cruelty-Free Trademar

Don’t forget about Cactus Leather, desert dwellers are on top of that

Cactus Leather Is the Newest Eco-Friendly Fabric

It’s been hard to have zero dry powder recently but still HODL watching the account drop like mad but know there are many sunnier days ahead.

The above quote, even though part of a Tesla-vs.-Lucid discussion on technology, got me thinking about the large cast structural pieces and all the news that permeated in recent days (the 8 large HPDC machines to be installed at Giga Berlin, Elon’s comments during his visit there, etc.). Here’s what I’m considering:

What if... a large part of the Model Y/3 underbody (if not all) will be made of just a few large cast Al alloy pieces, with only a few hardened steel beams used for cabin crash protection?

And what if, aside from the obvious advantages of:
1. faster manufacturing (casting a few large parts vs. stamping many steel sheet pieces and welding them together while clamped in place by multiple robots) and of
2. lower weight,

another advantage would be:
3. the cast underframe acting as a large heat sink for the battery pack?

We know that:
- Tesla is moving away from the battery cells-to-modules-to-pack paradigm and towards the cells-in-pack architecture
- the biggest limitation in terms of power output (acceleration and maintained high speeds) and input (charging) for a battery pack is the thermal management
- Tesla recently applied for a tabless cell design, having as a major advantage the much improved cooling rates of the individual cells due to a higher contact surface area between the current collectors and the metal cans (made of Al)
- Finally, Al alloys have a very good heat conductivity coefficient, second only to Cu alloys amongst engineering materials, and about one order of magnitude (oh yeah, I went there!) higher than steels.

So what I’m thinking is, if you use a large cast piece of Al for the subframe and you put it in direct contact with the battery pack, suddenly your passive cooling improves significantly and your active cooling requirements drop dramatically. Which consequently means that you need fewer/thinner liquid cooling channels in the battery pack, and you spend less energy running the active cooling system. And that would match Elon’s comments that Tesla is rethinking the whole structural architecture of the Model Y, and it is directly related to what will be discussed on Battery Day...

Of course, I might be totally wrong. We will find out in less than 2 weeks.
That only works if you want the pack to match ambient temperature. If it is -20C out, it's going to be a problem.