Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is the ID.3 disappoint in major German (Auto Motor Sport & Auto Bild) tests not only with quality and material e.g. cheap plastic but also with range, not to mention charging infrastructure and costs.

The ID.4 has the same technology and because of its form factor will not be better in range and efficiency but rather worse.

Brandstätter and VW invest a ton of marketing € to create the impression they ID.3 is a success and the ID.4 even before a first has been delivered but I believe it when I see it in independent tests.

Just a few months after the ID.4 is delivered the Model Y will be produced and delivered in Germany and that could make a lot of buyers decide to wait with their buy decision.

With whatever Tesla will announce next week at battery day the media will be dominated by the break-through technology which will make it for the ID.4 even harder.

As a German I want VW to succeed but instead of major technology improvements, all I head is a lot of claims and overpromise but underdeliver.

Its 6-12 months ago that VW stated that they will deliver all that a Tesla has for half the price. If we look at the facts today, a ID.3 is about 70 to +100% of a Tesla and has much less to offer.

It takes about 15-20 years for reputation to catch up to reality.

eUP! and eGolf are pretty crappy cars yet eUP! has an 18 month backlog and the about to be discontinued eGolf is the 2nd best selling EV in Germany and 3rd in Europe.

I don't think the MEB cars will be nearly as bad as GM and Ford cars of the 1970's and 1980's which caused many Americans to swear off Detroit brands forever and allowed the Japanese to capture ~25% US market share. So VW reputation will not taken through the mud as the Detroit brands.

VW Brands Reputations will carry them a long way.

Many loyal VW customers will buy MEB vehicles, enough to make them at least modestly successful IMO, and they will work well enough that MEB owners will not swear off VW for the rest of their lives.

My biggest issue with VW forecast is will they be able to actually acquire enough battery cells to produce 1-1.5M MEB in 2025? It seems to me the Korean Battery Companies are selling the same capacity to several OEMs hoping at least a few are successful in selling BEVs.

Good luck to VW. I hope they achieve it, but I'd bet against it given their disappointing e-tron, Taycan, and ID.3 track record of the past few years.

I share this opinion.

VW has been publicly saying "We are going to produce so many EVs starting three years from now it'll be NUTS!" for the last 10+ years, so I have skepticism. Hope I'm wrong though.

Maybe they are going to start applying these casting techniques to the Model 3 or S/X?
If I were Tesla, I would have two casting machines for each part and run them on staggered cycles, just in case something happens like loss of power or other failure.
Elon mentioned Fremont's 3 line is a pain, but it works. S/X body assembly is similar, plus those are low volume compared to the CapEx needed for the machine (unless they are redesigning the car).

To further tie in one more element, this article mentions another GigaPress, which everyone assumes is for Model Y:

Tesla is deploying a second Giga Press machine in (or actually out of) Fremont factory - Electrek

Could it be that this is for S/X instead? Are two GigaPresses needed for Tesla to reach their target Model Y volumes out of fremont?

They will be installing 8 (!) at Giga Berlin, where they will be casting front and rear frames (Fremont has been doing rear only so far). So likely second press at Fremont would be for front frame.

Source for info on presses at Giga Berlin: https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1306911149053472769

Also, S/X are much lower volume so less to be gained there from production efficiency.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

upload_2020-9-18_5-15-38.png

Going to be a hell of a trading day. Very excited. A ton of energy that could push that price over 450 vs "The Big Friday".

I'll be buying a bunch under 450, within reason, and selling a bunch over 450, within reason in my trading account.

If 450 gets smashed what's next, 480 followed by 500?

Edit: Obviously not selling in my long account.

Reactions: NooB_cat
Going to be a hell of a trading day. Very excited. A ton of energy that could push that price over 450 vs "The Big Friday".

I'll be buying a bunch under 450, within reason, and selling a bunch over 450, within reason in my trading account.

If 450 gets smashed what's next, 480 followed by 500?

Edit: Obviously not selling in my long account.
Wow so bullish you went plaid!!!

To further tie in one more element, this article mentions another GigaPress, which everyone assumes is for Model Y:

Tesla is deploying a second Giga Press machine in (or actually out of) Fremont factory - Electrek

Could it be that this is for S/X instead? Are two GigaPresses needed for Tesla to reach their target Model Y volumes out of fremont?

Logically you’d want more than one. What if there’s a maintenance problem? You going to risk shutting down your production line? Of course not. Secondly, does anyone know the cycle time of it? How many pieces per minute can be made? Is it one piece at a time or six? Is it 30 seconds or 2 minutes to make a piece?

VW Brands Reputations will carry them a long way.

I think that brand is collapsing with each passing day. Ask people in Europe what Dieselgate was, and they will mention volkswagen, how they were caught, and what they did. People equate VW now with lying, cheating, and not caring about the environment. In other words, anybody considering an electric vehicle likely puts VW at the bottom of the list of trusted brands.

Plus all the UK VW owners who got wrongly-sold cars and zero compensation...they are not going to queue up to reward VW by buying their next car from them. I think VW will be the first major auto firm to collapse, maybe Ford next.