Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We discussed about this a few days back.

This solid state battery is worst in every way compared to their own non solid state batteries. In fact they offer regular batteries as another option due to better charging characteristics.
solid state batteries will eventually show up ~ 2027 -2030... Tesla will likely adopt solid state at some point in the future ... not for a while

Reactions: Cape Coddess
Battery day thoughts and the impact on Tesla financials. Summary: I'm HODL and continuing to acquire on dips

First off the presentation was geared way in the direction of engineering and thus has most likely gone over the heads of most people. This is not a bad thing, but rather a very normal thing for Tesla. As this was the most likely outcome; all is right with the universe. Tesla demonstrated the tech with The Plaid S and thus continued in the tradition of leading the acceleration of sustainable transportation.

What was wholly unexpected was the massive decrease in costs for batteries as well as manufacturing facilities. This, for me, was unexpected, and honestly brought me so much joy. The presentation might have well been called "We've set a date for the end of oil". As an engineer who is fairly versed in Tesla tech, the only thing stopping Tesla at this point are force majeurs and macros of the like.

The quick summary. Tesla showed tech that is well beyond anything that has been put in any presentation or white paper and will exist in the world in a time-frame that is even close to tech demonstrated. If anyone knows of anything better please forward.

The dry electrode innovation alone is at least 10 years ahead of anything else. Why 10 years? In order to do what has just been demonstrated, even though it is about 2 years away from mass production is this: To start this process you need to attract the top battery talent, establish a think tank/brainstorming/iteration lab, try and fail on soooo many possible ways to get more efficiency out of the process which involves great amounts of money, time and patience ( Why patience? So many options in batteries end up being low production value but are initially great due to potential).

Just this innovation alone would secure a lead in the EV industry. However, so much more was shown with very reasonable timelines. Crazy that they have also gone to the extent of greatly improving the cathode production process. I had no idea how involved this was.

I think my favorite hidden gem was the slide that separated the types of new batteries into long cycle life, long range and mass sensitive. It is a lovely easter egg to the million mile battery (aka 4000 charge/discharge cycles), which to Tesla, is already in production as LFP in China and not a huge deal for this presentation.

Oh, and one more thing. It seems that Tesla has taken every page out of Apple's playbook.

1. Custom ASICs, designing own boards
2. Building SW and service stack to fully communicate back to custom infrastructure
3. Make changes to the supply chain to the lowest common supplier

However, TSLA is now adding pages

1. Objectionable best in class product; measurable features like range, acceleration, cargo space, safety...etc
2. Objectionable best in class value; measurable from cost, margins, free cash flow
3. AI custom ASICs for both training (Dojo) and serving (in car ASICs)
4. Leader in glass tech (coming with Cybertruck)
5. Leader in car entertainment
6. Leader in subscription services
7. Taking core tech in the power grid with utility scale and residential scale storage
8. Credit money from other car companies
9. I'm sure I left out many others
Agree. The economics are massively important. Just as renewables are killing off coal on an economic basis (no altruism, subsides needed) in 2-3 years BEVs will begin killing off ICE on an economic (purchase cost, operating cost, maintenance cost, insurance cost) and performance (acceleration, range) basis.

The message behind battery day was pretty clear: a technically and economically viable strategy now exists for replacing fossil fuels worldwide in 10-15 years.

Not a bad week.
A path to terawatts of batteries.
A chance to buy on the cheap.
Sunshine and beer.

Even a cat likes dem apples
20200925_191540.jpg

solid state batteries will eventually show up ~ 2027 -2030... Tesla will likely adopt solid state at some point in the future ... not for a while

What are the advantages of solid state versus the 4680s just revealed? The bar has been raised tremendously. At the cost and efficiency described on BD, the Holy Grail has essentially been achieved. There is no doubt that the batteries described can bury fossils and support a renewables revolution when production is sufficient.

If Tesla hits all the targets described, it is hard to see where solid state fits in. Perhaps they would specialize in extremely high energy density for use in planes?

Showing up is not good enough. Solid State needs to beat

2030 Cell pricing from Tesla
2030 Kwh Cost of Tesla
2030 range
2030 charging speed
2030 production speed

Solid State can really be late to the party when all Tesla cars can go 700 miles and charge the first 400 miles in less than 10 mins at 1/10th the cost and at 100x the production speed. I think once Tesla prove in 2023 they can produce this battery at scale, it'll begin to sink in that Tesla may have killed SS batteries before it was born. The most important spec of battery day is production speed. Lots of batteries out there in a lab that may be better than the new Tesla cell, but if you can't match the speed of production and cost than it'll just remain in the lab. This is why battery day was a game changer. That 7X production speed at half the cost are part of the battery spec which is the hardest to beat(and might be impossible)

Last edited:
It looks like a very practical vehicle. $4k price tag, top speed of 60 mph, range of 100 miles, and seating for 4. Should be great for the average city dweller. especially where parking is tight.

Perfect for Tesla’s new batteries.

I agree.

I think there is far too much mocking of these types of vehicles on this forum. These are the EV solution for the vast majority of the worlds population - you aren't going to convert Africa and most of Asia to EVs without these types of cheap lightweight vehicles - and that after all is one of the key driving forces behind Tesla: converting the world to sustainable transport.

Realistically only the top 10-20% of people on the planet will be able to afford a Tesla over the next decade (which is of course still a vast profitable group for Tesla to thrive with up to 20 million annual car sales), and we need practical EV solutions for the other 80-90%, and if Tesla can perhaps help that by providing cheap long lasting batteries to these - that would be excellent.

I agree.

I think there is far too much mocking of these types of vehicles on this forum. These are the EV solution for the vast majority of the worlds population - you aren't going to convert Africa and most of Asia to EVs without these types of cheap lightweight vehicles - and that after all is one of the key driving forces behind Tesla: converting the world to sustainable transport.

Realistically only the top 10-20% of people on the planet will be able to afford a Tesla over the next decade (which is of course still a vast profitable group for Tesla to thrive with up to 20 million annual car sales), and we need practical EV solutions for the other 80-90%, and if Tesla can perhaps help that by providing cheap long lasting batteries to these - that would be excellent.

Agreed. I support Tesla’s Master Plan.

Which mats and by how much and source of information?

I'd assert they'll have more than enough with contracts already in place based on projected chemistries.
Reports are saying world wide battery production is going to be 1.3twh by 2030. What Tesla announced is that they will ADD another 3twh on top of that by then which means all mines need to quadrupole capacity vs projection unless Tesla goes into mining themselves(which they question the validity of all their claims).

Li-ion Battery Cell Capacity Will Quadruple To 1.3 TWh By 2030, New Report Forecasts

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
Other news on battery tech: Daimler unveils electric bus with 441 kWh solid-state battery pack - Electrek

Interesting, I was thinking that solid state batteries where not ready for prime time yet. Does someone know any characteristics that would make it eligible for buses/trucks but not regular cars?.
Current Solid State batteries have very slow ion transport through the electrolyte, typically 1/tenth of what a conventional Li-Ion battery has with a liquid electrolyte.

This is also why these batteries typically don't work (at all) in very cold conditions, or have a giant heater (which wastes range), or both.

This ion mobility issue means these battery cells have relatively low power for their size (requiring a giant battery - check) and very slow recharge rates (like 12 hrs - check).

A city bus that works half a day, or a delivery truck may work for this application. But the supply will be very low. Look for Daimler to produce DOZENS of these buses in the next 2 years... :p

Cheers!

Showing up is not good enough. Solid State needs to beat

2030 Cell pricing from Tesla
2030 Kwh Cost of Tesla
2030 range
2030 charging speed
2030 production speed

Solid State can really be late to the party when all Tesla cars can go 700 miles and charge the first 400 miles in less than 10 mins at 1/10th the cost and at 100x the production speed. I think once Tesla prove in 2023 they can produce this battery at scale, it'll begin to sink in that Tesla may have killed SS batteries before it was born.

True, don't shoot me here, but one could argue the same for hydrogen v gasoline. Hydrogen is very energy dense, and it's main drawback is having to be produced + create stations everywhere. Imagine gas didn't exist or took too long to take off, or had some other thing preventing its spread, hydrogen would have had a great opportunity there. Even if its better than gas, it's not better ENOUGH to replace the entire top-down infrastructure.

Solid State could beat lithium ion, but it would need to be an overwhelming improvement, not incremental, come 2030 because Tesla and the world will have invested so much into lithium ion (and its supporting infrastructure, mines, etc.)

True, don't shoot me here, but one could argue the same for hydrogen v gasoline. Hydrogen is very energy dense, and it's main drawback is having to be produced + create stations everywhere. Imagine gas didn't exist or took too long to take off, or had some other thing preventing its spread, hydrogen would have had a great opportunity there. Even if its better than gas, it's not better ENOUGH to replace the entire top-down infrastructure.

Solid State could beat lithium ion, but it would need to be an overwhelming improvement, not incremental, come 2030 because Tesla and the world will have invested so much into lithium ion (and its supporting infrastructure, mines, etc.)

It needs to really bring it. Like 2-3k miles worth of charge and charging time under 5 minutes then maybe it's worth the hassle to deal with the cost and production ramp. But the amount of people who would care is probably very small by 2030 where their 25k car can go 400 miles and these solid state cars are over 150k+.

• Helpful
Reactions: wtlloyd and Robocop
It is a pity that this video is only in German and that there are no sub titles in English. It was really interesting.

First he talks about Model S Plaid. They have the experience that the claims for acceleration of Tesla does not hold true when they measure them. Most of it is because of different methods of measuring between USA and Europe. (rolling acceleration versus stand still)

The journalist then goes through the slides of the why. He came to the conclusion that Tesla had a big advantage in price per kW/h a few years back but that other manufacturers almost caught up. It is not that the price of batteries did not go down fast enough; it is that the price of Tesla’s batteries did nog go down enough.

Then journalist goes through every aspect what Tesla claims during Battery Day and look if it is really revolutionary what Tesla is doing. He methodically explains what everything means and what the advantages are. The conclusion is that every aspect is already known in the literature so, no, it is not revolutionary. However, he does think it all is very clever what they are doing. What is revolutionary is that they are doing it all together and that they are open about it. The vertical integration is also a big advantage.

Then he goes on about the $25K Tesla which was announced. Considering the experience with Model 3 he thinks that the European price will be closer to 30K Euro’s. In that price range there are other models announced from Skoda and VW ID3. So that is not really revolutionary either.

At the end he asks if it was fair that the stock market reacted the way it did. Well, he would not have bought more just because of battery day but would not have sold either. Then again he doesn’t hold any Tesla share or any other car manufacturer shares as he thinks it is unethical for car journalist to hold these kind of shares.

Tesla adding to land holdings for Austin factory

Continuing at full speed with development of its electric vehicle assembly plant in southeastern Travis County, Tesla recently purchased 381 acres adjacent to its existing 2,100-acre site at Harold Green Road and Texas 130, deed records show.

Tesla also is believed to be pursuing additional land purchases in Southeast Austin along the Texas 130 corridor, according to local real estate developers knowledgeable about the area.

Local developer Karl Koebel, a principal with Marketplace Real Estate Group, said Tesla’s newly purchased 381 acres, which are along Gilbert Road and just northeast of its 2,100-acre site, give Tesla not only more land, but additional access to its property, since Gilbert Road intersects with FM 969.

“Being able to tie into (969) gives them multiple points of access” to primary roads, which along with 969 include Harold Green Road and the Texas 130 frontage road, Koebel said.
F yes. Move everything to Texas. Evidently California only cares about Ford building EVs. Good luck with that.

“Liberals” have been attacking Musk for a long time. Unfortunately, this just makes them intellectually bankrupt.

I stop here. Wrong thread, sorry.
I concur, I was just adding an additional point to the list the previous poster had listed.
"Morons" have been attacking Musk for a long time. Morons appear all over the political spectrum. Some even post to this thread.