Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Efof6qAXoAIdGp7

Upper limit set too low.

• Funny
Reactions: Ameliorate
Well who's selling right now? This is just two servers selling the same share backwards and forwards all day...

Is this the financial equivalent of the "Single Electron Theory"
On the new Jonas interview: Tesla's China sales will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030: Adam Jonas

His price target is $272, one of the most bearish ones on the market, yet he remain "equal-weight." How does he reconcile that, asks the interviewer.
Jonas: "The range of outcomes for Tesla very wide." He also blames it on the other people at MS (battery, tech) not giving him the ammo he needs to value it higher.
He says his $500+ bull price target requires 5-6 million vehicles per year by 2030, which is double what they (Morgan Stanley) currently forecast. Remember, Musk is targeting 20M by 2030. So, even if he only gets half-way there, he's still about double Jonas' BULL case.

But, he still doesn't answer the question.

Jonas admits: "Retail investors got this right." Investors today are looking for companies with top notch software talent. Some investors thinking 20-30 years out, which cracks him up because he got flak for running DCS on 4-5 year timeframes a few years ago.

But, he warns those investors looking for Tesla to become the most valuable company in the world. "That ain't happening with cars." You need SaaS, full autonomy; especially on autonomy, which is "massively over-hyped" in his view.

He does say that most OEMs hope to be where Tesla was 5 years ago, so an effective 10-year lead for Tesla. Covid turned other OEMs sense of awareness and turned it into urgency. The interviewer should have asked him why he still recommends other automotive OEMs like GM if they're 10 years behind. She didn't.

Jonas is worried about batteries from "the real competition," that being Amazon & Apple. He thinks only half of the 3TwH Musk talked about will go to cars, by 2030, and that's only if they sell drivetrains to other OEMs. I don't think he's doing the KwH per vehicle calculation and multiplying by number of cars.

Jonas did come back with another reason for the low price target: China and data privacy concerns. He pointed out that we wouldn't tolerate a Chinese "autonomous network" operating in Boston, and similarly China won't tolerate a US "autonomous network" operating in China. So, Jonas sees Tesla sales declining in China starting mid-decade and down to zero by 2030. He doesn't say whether the German or other US automakers will have the same problem or not, and the interviewer doesn't ask.

Now, Jonas didn't explain what he meant by an "autonomous network." It sounded to me like he's read too much 5G hype and doesn't realize that Tesla vehicles don't need to connect to the network to drive autonomously. Tesla gathers data to help make their autonomous programming, which is fully contained within the vehicle, better. In China, btw, Tesla shares GPS location data of every vehicle with the Chinese government. So if you're driving a Tesla in China, the government knows where you are.

If I wanted to give Jonas credit, which I don't, I'd say Jonas is talking about the Robo-Taxi network, which does need connectivity, like Uber or Lyft today. But, I don't think Jonas is stupid enough to confuse autonomy with robo-taxi, whereas I do think he's not technical enough to understand how Tesla's autonomy works.

So, there you have it. Jonas has a confusing price target that's $150 below today's price, yet he has an "equal-weight" rating on the stock. That makes no sense - if you think the price is going down significantly, why would you tell your clients to hold the stock? It just shows Jonas really doesn't know where Tesla is going.

Jonas' Bull case is below my Bear case: Tesla only doing 5-6 million vehicles/year by 2030 AND no autonomy, not energy, no storage.

As for autonomy, my view is that the doubters have not seen for themselves how neural nets learn. Karpathy/Musk made a serious mistake (an obvious one, actually) by only labeling static images returned from cars and not being able to label sequences. That's been fixed, so the next question is what else have they missed and what will it take to accommodate that. But, I don't have doubt that Tesla is on the right track to autonomy and that Jonas's "20 year" timeline is just an ignorant garbage number he tossed out and will regret in a few years.

Jesus... there's so much weird nonsense there I don't even know where to start!

What is not clear to me is if there is any longevity trade-off with the silicon anode...

I have a hunch that the worst case is, no worse than current batteries.

Right. Elon didn't address this at all. It is the #1 reason why all these alternate anode and cathode chemistries fail (#2 being able to mass produce it cheaply enough). Obviously Tesla knows this so we can expect that they've got it figured out.

On the new Jonas interview: Tesla's China sales will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030: Adam Jonas

His price target is $272, one of the most bearish ones on the market, yet he remain "equal-weight." How does he reconcile that, asks the interviewer.
Jonas: "The range of outcomes for Tesla very wide." He also blames it on the other people at MS (battery, tech) not giving him the ammo he needs to value it higher.
He says his $500+ bull price target requires 5-6 million vehicles per year by 2030, which is double what they (Morgan Stanley) currently forecast. Remember, Musk is targeting 20M by 2030. So, even if he only gets half-way there, he's still about double Jonas' BULL case.

But, he still doesn't answer the question.

Jonas admits: "Retail investors got this right." Investors today are looking for companies with top notch software talent. Some investors thinking 20-30 years out, which cracks him up because he got flak for running DCS on 4-5 year timeframes a few years ago.

But, he warns those investors looking for Tesla to become the most valuable company in the world. "That ain't happening with cars." You need SaaS, full autonomy; especially on autonomy, which is "massively over-hyped" in his view.

He does say that most OEMs hope to be where Tesla was 5 years ago, so an effective 10-year lead for Tesla. Covid turned other OEMs sense of awareness and turned it into urgency. The interviewer should have asked him why he still recommends other automotive OEMs like GM if they're 10 years behind. She didn't.

Jonas is worried about batteries from "the real competition," that being Amazon & Apple. He thinks only half of the 3TwH Musk talked about will go to cars, by 2030, and that's only if they sell drivetrains to other OEMs. I don't think he's doing the KwH per vehicle calculation and multiplying by number of cars.

Jonas did come back with another reason for the low price target: China and data privacy concerns. He pointed out that we wouldn't tolerate a Chinese "autonomous network" operating in Boston, and similarly China won't tolerate a US "autonomous network" operating in China. So, Jonas sees Tesla sales declining in China starting mid-decade and down to zero by 2030. He doesn't say whether the German or other US automakers will have the same problem or not, and the interviewer doesn't ask.

Now, Jonas didn't explain what he meant by an "autonomous network." It sounded to me like he's read too much 5G hype and doesn't realize that Tesla vehicles don't need to connect to the network to drive autonomously. Tesla gathers data to help make their autonomous programming, which is fully contained within the vehicle, better. In China, btw, Tesla shares GPS location data of every vehicle with the Chinese government. So if you're driving a Tesla in China, the government knows where you are.

If I wanted to give Jonas credit, which I don't, I'd say Jonas is talking about the Robo-Taxi network, which does need connectivity, like Uber or Lyft today. But, I don't think Jonas is stupid enough to confuse autonomy with robo-taxi, whereas I do think he's not technical enough to understand how Tesla's autonomy works.

So, there you have it. Jonas has a confusing price target that's $150 below today's price, yet he has an "equal-weight" rating on the stock. That makes no sense - if you think the price is going down significantly, why would you tell your clients to hold the stock? It just shows Jonas really doesn't know where Tesla is going.

Jonas' Bull case is below my Bear case: Tesla only doing 5-6 million vehicles/year by 2030 AND no autonomy, not energy, no storage.

As for autonomy, my view is that the doubters have not seen for themselves how neural nets learn. Karpathy/Musk made a serious mistake (an obvious one, actually) by only labeling static images returned from cars and not being able to label sequences. That's been fixed, so the next question is what else have they missed and what will it take to accommodate that. But, I don't have doubt that Tesla is on the right track to autonomy and that Jonas's "20 year" timeline is just an ignorant garbage number he tossed out and will regret in a few years.

how is it that analysts ranked in the absolute bottom of their peer rankings get so much air time and importance in MMM

:mad:

its a great interview with deep insights.

Recommend it.

I completely disagree. I learned nothing new in the interview and both interviewer and Elon got frustrated with each other since they are on different wavelengths. Kara tried to stir up trouble. She pressed him about politics, asking a very personal question (who are you voting for - Elon should have said, that's none of your business), and then pressed him about the coronavirus but stating up front that she disagreed with Elon, even before he got to talk. Elon even threatened to end the interview at one point.

What new things do you learn, avoigt?

I completely disagree. I learned nothing new in the interview and both interviewer and Elon got frustrated with each other since they are on different wavelengths. Kara tried to stir up trouble. She pressed him about politics, asking a very personal question (who are you voting for - Elon should have said, that's none of your business), and then pressed him about the coronavirus but stating up front that she disagreed with Elon, even before he got to talk. Elon even threatened to end the interview at one point.

kara swisher is always a little tougher on elon. she pushes the envelope with him.
i didn’t think it was bad. elon isn’t a messiah. she has every right to ask him questions and he has every right to answer or not answer. the only time he drew the line, she didn’t cross it, to her credit.
karas few interviews with elon have been fair and transparent...she doesn’t play favorites. so not too bad. she’s not the type of interview where they’re doing deep dives...it’s more about a time period in elon’s life. what him and his companies have been up to since they last spoke. what messages he is emitting from his platform, etc.
it would have been nice to hear him give credit to specific people like baglino, shotwell, and i’m sure countless others (the spaceX originals that helped him do Boring, etc) instead of stating that he has no one to delegate any of his duties to... but whatever. i’m sure giving interviews is kind of a necessary evil to him. and he seems to like kara, even though she doesn’t just kiss his ass like most.

did we learn anything new? NO, not in the sense that cosmac is referring to.
was it entertaining? ...somewhat

not in his words...
- elon and family will not get covid vaccine
- we are meat vessels with communication data output rate that of a tree
- he somewhat sympathizes with the plight of the original engineers of legacy energy for obvious reasons
- he is done trying to convince people of the urgency for battery production, ev adoption. i.e. battery day importance. - the results will speak for themselves
- avg humans, even wall st analysts don’t get it. sad

Last edited:
kara swisher is always a little tougher on elon. she pushes the envelope with him.
i didn’t think it was bad. elon isn’t a messiah. she has every right to ask him questions and he has every right to answer or not answer. the only time he drew the line, she didn’t cross it, to her credit.
karas few interviews with elon have been fair and transparent...she doesn’t play favorites. so not too bad. she’s not the type of interview where they’re doing deep dives...it’s more about a time period in elon’s life. what him and his companies have been up to since they last spoke. what messages he is emitting from his platform, etc.
it would have been nice to hear him give credit to specific people like baglino, shotwell, and i’m sure countless others (the spaceX originals that helped him do Boring, etc) instead of stating that he has no one to delegate any of his duties to... but whatever. i’m sure giving interviews is kind of a necessary evil to him. and he seems to like kara, even though she doesn’t just kiss his ass like most.

did we learn anything new? NO
was it entertaining? ...somewhat

not in his words...
- elon and family will not get covid vaccine
- we are meat vessels with communication data output rate that of a tree
- he somewhat sympathizes with the plight of the original engineers of legacy energy for obvious reasons
- he is done trying to convince people of the urgency for battery production, ev adoption. i.e. battery day importance. - the results will speak for themselves
- avg humans, even wall st analysts don’t get it. sad

To be fair to Elon when he said he didn’t have anyone to delegate to, he meant at Tesla, I believe.

That, Btw, is no ones fault but Elon’s. He’s never been a good manager. Great leader but not a manager. Which is fine. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. In the end his lament is that Elon can’t find executives willing to work for him that are like himself. And he’s right because anyone like Elon is running their own company. You gotta put up with less experienced and smart executives if you are Elon and want to delegate.

Anyhoo the fact they we didn’t learn anything new in the interview is why it was useless. And asking him who he is going to vote for is just obnoxious. It was obvious Kara was essentially working for the Biden campaign at that point trying to generate headlines that Eon backs Biden. Good on Elon to piss all over her parade.

I felt the same way about Kara trying to stir up trouble in the NYT piece. When I saw that CNBC had her on to talk about it, I thought, “Here it comes...”

That said, IMHO, the clip about her Elon interview on CNBC was a complete 180. She actually seemed quite unbiased and supportive. It made me think that her overall impression is much more positive than how it sounded in the NYT.

Despite the crappy article, the 5-minute CNBC video is worth a watch. No new info, but redeeming for Kara, and nice to see a positive take.

I completely disagree. I learned nothing new in the interview and both interviewer and Elon got frustrated with each other since they are on different wavelengths.

I learned that they have had 4680 based battery packs in test vehicles driving around since May. That is 4 months of testing and potential production.

I don't think they have a dedicated RHD production line.

They stop, reconfigure, then produce RHD models for a few weeks.Then stop reconfigure and start again for LHD.
You could be right, but UK demand is pretty strong right now. I thought two roro’s thus quarter, which could be 5000 to 6000. Add Australia and Hong Kong and that’s a lot of high margin Y’s to add to Q4. About 5000 more profit per car for ~8000 extra cars is an extra 40 million. The MIC Model 3’s are also higher margin than Fremont, so possibly another 40 million bonus. 80 million by some supply chain optimization they didn’t have before. Margin expansion in Q4 was already going up with production going over 4000 a week in China, LFP Model 3 and the Y starting in Shanghai. Should be an exciting Q4 report.

My wife and I are planning on hitting the road in our cybertruck when the time comes. It would be fun to do it in a LARGE group.
Talk about free advertising. Can you imagine 100 cybertrucks traveling the country as a convoy!
Please swing by Buffalo along the way. Everyone could take in Niagara Falls and my wife and I could join the convoy.

• Informative
Reactions: KMCC and AZRI11
Right. Elon didn't address this at all. It is the #1 reason why all these alternate anode and cathode chemistries fail (#2 being able to mass produce it cheaply enough). Obviously Tesla knows this so we can expect that they've got it figured out.

I don't think it's fair to say they did not address it at all. They had a slide showing the typical Si problems, then introduced the new coating showing improved stability.
A ways down the slide deck
Tesla Battery Day Slides 2020/09/22
SmartSelect_20200929-004349_Firefox.jpg SmartSelect_20200929-004422_Firefox.jpg

I don't think it's fair to say they did not address it at all. They had a slide showing the typical Si problems, then introduced the new coating showing improved stability.
View attachment 593289 View attachment 593290

Also the max energy density increase from this step is about 3x, but they had 20% as their result which means it's not as silicone as we think, but still more than current methods.

• Informative
Reactions: CorneliusXX