Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great, more headlines about Elon saying his company is worth less than the market thinks. :rolleyes: I know I know, buying opportunity...

Gotta love a headline that takes the context of Elons actual quote out of context.

But hey, I'm totally fine with experiencing the same 6 month stock action since he last said the stock is too high

Cutting close but made it to quarter end. Renton WA center is completely full of new cars, double parked, triple parked, just piles of new Testas. Mostly M3s, they had only one other blue Y on the lot. They told me all this goodness is gonna be gone by end of the month. And it's not a small lot there. Amazing, just think how much time and personnel would it take for a traditional dealership to move this much inventory in such a short period of time. I'd say at least 3x if not 5x.

Investment advice: buy high. As in, buy your tesla when the stock is high.
Thanks for the update! This truly warms my heart and my butt ('cause that's where me pocketbook is)!

On the new Jonas interview: Tesla's China sales will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030: Adam Jonas

His price target is $272, one of the most bearish ones on the market, yet he remain "equal-weight." How does he reconcile that, asks the interviewer.
Jonas: "The range of outcomes for Tesla very wide." He also blames it on the other people at MS (battery, tech) not giving him the ammo he needs to value it higher.
He says his $500+ bull price target requires 5-6 million vehicles per year by 2030, which is double what they (Morgan Stanley) currently forecast. Remember, Musk is targeting 20M by 2030. So, even if he only gets half-way there, he's still about double Jonas' BULL case.

But, he still doesn't answer the question.

Jonas admits: "Retail investors got this right." Investors today are looking for companies with top notch software talent. Some investors thinking 20-30 years out, which cracks him up because he got flak for running DCS on 4-5 year timeframes a few years ago.

But, he warns those investors looking for Tesla to become the most valuable company in the world. "That ain't happening with cars." You need SaaS, full autonomy; especially on autonomy, which is "massively over-hyped" in his view.

He does say that most OEMs hope to be where Tesla was 5 years ago, so an effective 10-year lead for Tesla. Covid turned other OEMs sense of awareness and turned it into urgency. The interviewer should have asked him why he still recommends other automotive OEMs like GM if they're 10 years behind. She didn't.

Jonas is worried about batteries from "the real competition," that being Amazon & Apple. He thinks only half of the 3TwH Musk talked about will go to cars, by 2030, and that's only if they sell drivetrains to other OEMs. I don't think he's doing the KwH per vehicle calculation and multiplying by number of cars.

Jonas did come back with another reason for the low price target: China and data privacy concerns. He pointed out that we wouldn't tolerate a Chinese "autonomous network" operating in Boston, and similarly China won't tolerate a US "autonomous network" operating in China. So, Jonas sees Tesla sales declining in China starting mid-decade and down to zero by 2030. He doesn't say whether the German or other US automakers will have the same problem or not, and the interviewer doesn't ask.

Now, Jonas didn't explain what he meant by an "autonomous network." It sounded to me like he's read too much 5G hype and doesn't realize that Tesla vehicles don't need to connect to the network to drive autonomously. Tesla gathers data to help make their autonomous programming, which is fully contained within the vehicle, better. In China, btw, Tesla shares GPS location data of every vehicle with the Chinese government. So if you're driving a Tesla in China, the government knows where you are.

If I wanted to give Jonas credit, which I don't, I'd say Jonas is talking about the Robo-Taxi network, which does need connectivity, like Uber or Lyft today. But, I don't think Jonas is stupid enough to confuse autonomy with robo-taxi, whereas I do think he's not technical enough to understand how Tesla's autonomy works.

So, there you have it. Jonas has a confusing price target that's $150 below today's price, yet he has an "equal-weight" rating on the stock. That makes no sense - if you think the price is going down significantly, why would you tell your clients to hold the stock? It just shows Jonas really doesn't know where Tesla is going.

Jonas' Bull case is below my Bear case: Tesla only doing 5-6 million vehicles/year by 2030 AND no autonomy, not energy, no storage.

As for autonomy, my view is that the doubters have not seen for themselves how neural nets learn. Karpathy/Musk made a serious mistake (an obvious one, actually) by only labeling static images returned from cars and not being able to label sequences. That's been fixed, so the next question is what else have they missed and what will it take to accommodate that. But, I don't have doubt that Tesla is on the right track to autonomy and that Jonas's "20 year" timeline is just an ignorant garbage number he tossed out and will regret in a few years.

What a waste of time. should have stopped reading after the word...... new....all down hill from there.

I dont ever see the point in reading / caring about what adam jonas thinks about... anything? The guy is clearly utterly clueless when it comes to valuing this stock, and we would be better off repeating what any random member of this forum thought, or for that matter, reporting the random tossing of coins, which would actually be a DRAMATICALLY better indicator of teslas future than the bilge jonas types.

In the interview Musk said those in the population that are vulnerable or high risk should be quarantined instead of shutting down everything. He believes younger population in good health has a very low risk from COVID which is probably true. His statement about not getting a vaccine can be misinterpreted easily. If he did not push for the factory to be reopened during Q2, I am sure TSLA would not be trading where it is now.
Seems kinda obvious and I think most of the governments are quietely acting along those line now. They just didn't update the media and common folks yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
I dont ever see the point in reading / caring about what adam jonas thinks about... anything? The guy is clearly utterly clueless when it comes to valuing this stock, and we would be better off repeating what any random member of this forum thought, or for that matter, reporting the random tossing of coins, which would actually be a DRAMATICALLY better indicator of teslas future than the bilge jonas types.

He's always been wrong. That's as useful as always right.

ARK kept their TSLA shares today! ;)

9A7D283B-A064-4F2D-9F7B-C1C6C9E55106.jpeg

Actually, that’s one part I liked a lot. The hype around silicon anodes is that they have 10x theoretical energy density over graphite, which isn’t even true. Due to other constraints, the max achievable is more like 3x. But anyways, what Tesla announced wasn’t even close to that, They only said 20% improvement BUT also a huge reduction in cost from $10 to $1.2 for the anode.

So instead of reaching for the moon for a 3x energy density boost with a silicon anode, like Novonix is doing with silicon nanowire, Tesla recognized all those other solutions are too expensive (at least currently). So, recognizing that synthetic graphite isn’t cheap, they realized they could go with much cheaper silicon, but do it in such a way to not get much of a energy density boost BUT it would reduce costs significantly. I think it’s brilliant.

What is not clear to me is if there is any longevity trade-off with the silicon anode...

I have a hunch that the worst case is, no worse than current batteries.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
One part of the interview that made me wonder is how Tesla stock will react when Elon takes a ride on starship, given he answered "maybe" in response to if he will be amongst the people riding on it in the 2-3 year timeframe he gave for first manned launches.
I also am giving thought to what areas/tasks he means when saying Tesla investors would be concerned if we knew the full scope of tasks he does because he is unable to find the right people to delegate to. I wouldn't assume he's talking engineering but he didn't specify. Any thoughts on that? Separately, I love when he tells people/doubters to sell their shares. Ultimate confidence & focus on the mission ahead of all else.

Reactions: Drax7
After-action Report: Mon, Sep 28, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA makes small gains on Piedmont LLC deal"

Traded: $20,917,881,627.66 ($20.92B)
Volume: 49,727,776
VWAP: $420.65

Close: 421.20 / VWAP: 100.13%
TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $392.478B / $190.709B = 205.80%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $388.99
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $236.63
Nota Bene: 3rd tranche of CEO comp. unlocked as of Fri, Sep 04, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 57.5% (56th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 39.0% (44th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.59% of Short Volume (45th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-09-28.png

Comment: "Lowest TSLA volume since 05-31-17; lowest Intraday Rge% since 07-01-19"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Last edited:
On the new Jonas interview: Tesla's China sales will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030: Adam Jonas

His price target is $272, one of the most bearish ones on the market, yet he remain "equal-weight." How does he reconcile that, asks the interviewer.
Jonas: "The range of outcomes for Tesla very wide." He also blames it on the other people at MS (battery, tech) not giving him the ammo he needs to value it higher.
He says his $500+ bull price target requires 5-6 million vehicles per year by 2030, which is double what they (Morgan Stanley) currently forecast. Remember, Musk is targeting 20M by 2030. So, even if he only gets half-way there, he's still about double Jonas' BULL case.

But, he still doesn't answer the question.

Jonas admits: "Retail investors got this right." Investors today are looking for companies with top notch software talent. Some investors thinking 20-30 years out, which cracks him up because he got flak for running DCS on 4-5 year timeframes a few years ago.

But, he warns those investors looking for Tesla to become the most valuable company in the world. "That ain't happening with cars." You need SaaS, full autonomy; especially on autonomy, which is "massively over-hyped" in his view.

He does say that most OEMs hope to be where Tesla was 5 years ago, so an effective 10-year lead for Tesla. Covid turned other OEMs sense of awareness and turned it into urgency. The interviewer should have asked him why he still recommends other automotive OEMs like GM if they're 10 years behind. She didn't.

Jonas is worried about batteries from "the real competition," that being Amazon & Apple. He thinks only half of the 3TwH Musk talked about will go to cars, by 2030, and that's only if they sell drivetrains to other OEMs. I don't think he's doing the KwH per vehicle calculation and multiplying by number of cars.

Jonas did come back with another reason for the low price target: China and data privacy concerns. He pointed out that we wouldn't tolerate a Chinese "autonomous network" operating in Boston, and similarly China won't tolerate a US "autonomous network" operating in China. So, Jonas sees Tesla sales declining in China starting mid-decade and down to zero by 2030. He doesn't say whether the German or other US automakers will have the same problem or not, and the interviewer doesn't ask.

Now, Jonas didn't explain what he meant by an "autonomous network." It sounded to me like he's read too much 5G hype and doesn't realize that Tesla vehicles don't need to connect to the network to drive autonomously. Tesla gathers data to help make their autonomous programming, which is fully contained within the vehicle, better. In China, btw, Tesla shares GPS location data of every vehicle with the Chinese government. So if you're driving a Tesla in China, the government knows where you are.

If I wanted to give Jonas credit, which I don't, I'd say Jonas is talking about the Robo-Taxi network, which does need connectivity, like Uber or Lyft today. But, I don't think Jonas is stupid enough to confuse autonomy with robo-taxi, whereas I do think he's not technical enough to understand how Tesla's autonomy works.

So, there you have it. Jonas has a confusing price target that's $150 below today's price, yet he has an "equal-weight" rating on the stock. That makes no sense - if you think the price is going down significantly, why would you tell your clients to hold the stock? It just shows Jonas really doesn't know where Tesla is going.

Jonas' Bull case is below my Bear case: Tesla only doing 5-6 million vehicles/year by 2030 AND no autonomy, not energy, no storage.

As for autonomy, my view is that the doubters have not seen for themselves how neural nets learn. Karpathy/Musk made a serious mistake (an obvious one, actually) by only labeling static images returned from cars and not being able to label sequences. That's been fixed, so the next question is what else have they missed and what will it take to accommodate that. But, I don't have doubt that Tesla is on the right track to autonomy and that Jonas's "20 year" timeline is just an ignorant garbage number he tossed out and will regret in a few years.

Efof6qAXoAIdGp7