Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now with 2020.40.4 there's an S curve of my daily drive that it has always struggled with, but with 2020.40.3 had gotten fairly good (it would stay in the lane, even in the final part of it) -- but now on 2020.40.4 it won't. It goes aggressively fast and right up to, if not over, the line. Because this is a fairly high traffic road I disengage almost every single time, but I do get chances occasionally to see how far it will go.

To be clear, I'm not sure whether this improvement happened on this update or the previous one (because I don't think I tested the previous one on this road). And, I didn't write down my previous version number (or know how to retrieve it).

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Unless you tell us if you started with $1 Billion or $1 Million that doesn't say much.

I started with very little and leap-frogged my way to serious money by concentrating my investments in my highest conviction companies and holding them through their strongest growth phases (generally for a few years at a time). I did not trade in/out on a frequent basis (hardly ever). It took me over a decade to reach my first million and I continued to live like a college student for years after that. That would be a broke college student of the 1980's, not a modern college student with a newer car, iPhone and a TV bigger than my dining table! I bought my first 3 or 4 cell phones as research for QCOM, otherwise I wouldn't have had a cell phone.

Why didn't I have any other furniture? Come on, you know a wooden cable spool is a coffee table and a crate makes a good stool! ;)

Line in the sand. Moderators have asked many times to end the endless stream of 420 (actually 2100!) and 420.69 references. Not only has it continued, it has now been joined by innuendo (‘the number that shall not be mentioned’). If it doesn’t stop, it’s no longer just posts that will be deleted.
An empty threat. I have begged moderators to delete my account and they have refused. Prove your power

Wish granted

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I wonder if there is a reason for the release of FSD beta just one day before earnings? Is Elon looking for some feedback prior to earning or just to be able to say that they released it as promised.
Don't think Elon cares when it's released. One day before earnings doesn't mean anything since there's not enough time to evaluate it and there will not be any revenue recognized for Q3.

Think he is trying to stick to a time line. He is probably sick of" 3 months maybe 6 months definitely" memes.

So... Which of you Europeans are hardcore enough to stay up and listen to the earnings call tomorrow? It'll start at 23:30 CEST which is well past many of your bed times!

Count me in.

D832456D-6A03-42C9-8A65-D7F6668D7169.jpeg

Don't think Elon cares when it's released. One day before earnings doesn't mean anything since there's not enough time to evaluate it and there will not be any revenue recognized for Q3.

Think he is trying to stick to a time line. He is probably sick of" 3 months maybe 6 months definitely" memes.

Probably like you said........though I wouldn't be surprised by a quick video of the new update in action

Last edited:
So... Which of you Europeans are hardcore enough to stay up and listen to the earnings call tomorrow? It'll start at 23:30 CEST which is well past many of your bed times!
Working my whole life in the entertainment industry means 23:30 is often not even halfway through the working day. Sure. Different in the pandemic but I'm not ever gonna be able to go to bed before 2-3 am. So I'm in.

My understanding of the timing...
released a day before earnings report.
to give youtubers the perfect amount of time to go "Wooopeee! this is amazing!". That is all that is needed. It is a fast world. Within the hour of recognizing they had the new version there were cats out there sticking their GoPros to their dashboards. At the latest there will be videos up tomorrow AM.
And IF (more than likely due to when Elon released it) the new version is a real improvement it will give him the perfect timing of positive energy flowing and building into the Earnings Report.
Battery crap has been driven into the ground (you like what I did there?). Let's get high(er) (yes I am tempted to summon Voldermort by using the magic number but I believe him) driving down the road..or should I say letting FSD drive us down the road while we reeeelax....
I wouldn't put it past Elon to have had the newest version of FSD ready a few days a go and he held it back for release the day before the earnings report just so he'd be able to field questions....

You may not believe it, but what I said comes from the standard. I registered, got the actual standard -- not the infographics that get passed around -- and read it.

The only "gotcha" was the one I mentioned -- assigning responsibility. If your only contention was that NoA isn't good enough for Tesla to switch that -- well, no disagreement from me. And that isn't exactly a small caveat. But it is the only caveat.

Again your facts are simply not correct. See below.

Y
You are wrong in your assertion about the requirement for Level 4 and you seem to miss on Level 3. But as it isn't directly relevant to investing if you want to continue off this list I'd be happy to. Or, if you really care about it, get the specification and read it yourself. I found it to be quite interesting.

I have read it.

L3 would mean the system does 100% of the dynamic task within its operational domain but can require a human to take over with short (but not instant) take-over time required and it can't do that. When the current Tesla system fails it's often immediate which rules out L3 even if Tesla wanted the responsibility.

For L4 the system must be capable of doing 100% of the dynamic driving task without human intervention ever being required, though it only needs to do this within its operational domain.

Teslas system absolutely can not do that today- not only because there's situations it can't handle even on the highway (bad weather the most obvious where the car will fall out of NoA to standard AP in moderate rain- and sometimes out of AP entirely with heavy rain or snow)... but also because the system can not "fail safely" as L4 requires by pulling out of traffic and safely parking itself if it's going to leave its domain with no human available.

(disclaimer- the one the general public has- since technically the re-write goes out to a very few people today)

When it comes to the re-write release and what all new functions are going to be in it, I gotta think it's essentially feature complete since Elon has now repeatedly started calling it FSD beta.

You can't really say it's a FSD beta unless it has all of the features in it...just in beta phase. I didn't really have any expectations that the re-write would come with all FSD features active, maybe just like 1 or 2 new features but I'm starting to rethink that

Last edited: