Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if it is released with a "Better watch yer ass" warning then it ain't what I expect it to be in 2 years. But dang, my pulse quickened faster watching that video than any video I have ever watched that didn't have something alive in it.
I've watched it twice now... the progress and potential and ick ack oock! Well I am more curious and hopeful.
All release documentation goes through the corporate lawyers who always add CYA statements. Nothing to see here.

And I thought this was retirement! :D
upload_2020-10-22_3-17-24.png

Still waiting for Tesla to complete the stealth Short Shorts Gigafactory in the Garment District near Wall Street, ramp, and start shipping:
upload_2020-10-22_3-19-22.png

They will look great sitting next to me in my Roadster II! :p

(I thought my 1983 Mercedes 380SL Roadster investment tax credit was an XX-magnet when I was 23. Well... It was a wife-magnet!)

I have 20 reservations, I did have a fraud alert after about 8, something about unusual activity...

20 reservations for extended family, you plan a private roboCyberFleet, what am I missing? Should I make 19 extra $100 reservations, too? Or just buy more $1,900 more shares to add to my bloated position? Confused... (I only reserved one Tri-motor. Now am thinking should reserve another one in son's Tesla account for a surprise 2022 MSCS graduation present, but 20???)

TBH I don't think these people neither have the means for that sort of expenditure, so a subscription would be better.
Many likely don't, but given all the high end luxury cars I see parked with handicapped stickers, there are a whole ton of them that have the means. (The ones that don't are unlikely to be able to afford any car.)

TBH I don't think these people neither have the means for that sort of expenditure, so a subscription would be better.

Also, and idea, Tesla can offer a steep discount to people with real needs - that would be a nice humanitarian gesture.

I'm going to suggest this to Elon..
Subscription, yes, but discount, no. Speaking as a wheelchair guy myself, Elon does not need anything else on his plate for people who can already afford a Tesla anyway.

20 reservations for extended family, you plan a private roboCyberFleet, what am I missing? Should I make 19 extra $100 reservations, too? Or just buy more $1,900 more shares to add to my bloated position? Confused... (I only reserved one Tri-motor. Now am thinking should reserve another one in son's Tesla account for a surprise 2022 MSCS graduation present, but 20???)

19 for a fleet and one to drive.
Basically it is a $100 refundable call option on FSD. My thesis at the time was that as FSD gets closer to reality, the cost of the software unlock is going to rise. The reservation locked the price of the FSD upgrade at $7k. My guess is that the upfront price of FSD will be $40-50k when robotaxi is realized, and my napkin math says 18 months of running the fleet will pay for the trucks and all the expenses.

Basically it is a $100 refundable call option on FSD. My thesis at the time was that as FSD gets closer to reality, the cost of the software unlock is going to rise. The reservation locked the price of the FSD upgrade at $7k. My guess is that the upfront price of FSD will be $40-50k when robotaxi is realized, and my napkin math says 18 months of running the fleet will pay for the trucks and all the expenses.

We rented our model 3 out over 50 times on turo and made about $8,000. Covered payments for the model 3 for the 1st 2 years and we had very few problems.

Anyone thinking they can't afford a new Tesla might wanna think about this business model it will work great with the cyber truck and full self driving.

In general customers who rent a Tesla are not the type of people who will abuse your vehicle. We had pretty much no problems except for 1 person ran out of charge and another got a flat tire. All in all it was a great experience and I met some great Tesla fans.

I will probably do it again for a while with the cyber truck and full self driving that I have reserved. Just added full size driving to my order an hour ago.

I guess I should add that I don't need the money anymore thanks to Tesla stock but I'll still do it because it's fun And helps to move the Tesla cause forward.

Last edited:
I got notification of an update last night and got really excited that Tesla messed up and added me to the "safe driver" category. No luck. Just 2020.40.8 :(
I have a tri motor for myself but ordered two dual motors with FSD for that exact reason. It's a super cheap investment that has a (low) potential to pay off big time.

Thoroughly recommend that thread for the financial aspects - there are some great posts there.

Away from the financials I will be looking for the updated production capacity table and associated comments to determine:
  • If Fremont has ramped to 500k/year for 3/Y as per the asterisk in the Q2 ER. I assume this is related to GA5 coming on line.
  • What the model 3 production rate target is for Shanghai now that the 3rd shift has been added.
  • Confirmation re Europe M3 being shipped from China rather than the US as this should allow a higher proportion of Model Y to be produced in Fremont
  • If limited Model Y production will start in Shanghai in Q4
  • Where Semi will be produced and if limited production will start in Q4 or Q1 21
  • Confirmation of guidance re 500k production in 2020
Icing on the cake would be any additional info re FSD (perhaps even a video) and on 4680 yield at Kato Road.

If I get all of that (in addition to the financials) I will be very happy :)

So how did I do relative to my wishlist?
  • If Fremont has ramped to 500k/year for 3/Y as per the asterisk in the Q2 ER. I assume this is related to GA5 coming on line.
    The answer on this was that the ramp is underway but may take until end of Q4 (or even Q1 2021).
  • What the model 3 production rate target is for Shanghai now that the 3rd shift has been added.
    A clear statement that this is 250k/year. A little surprising as moving from 2 to 3 shifts should have scaled to 300k/year. Perhaps they are taking it in stages.
  • Confirmation re Europe M3 being shipped from China rather than the US as this should allow a higher proportion of Model Y to be produced in Fremont
    Didn't hear anything on this but drone footage of hundreds of model 3s sitting at the Shanghai shipping terminal waiting to be loaded is probably enough of a confirmation.
  • If limited Model Y production will start in Shanghai in Q4
    The official line seems to be start of production in Q1 2021 but I remain hopeful that like last year they will get a few model Ys done in Q4
  • Where Semi will be produced and if limited production will start in Q4 or Q1 21
    This seemed to be a no. My impression was that Semi would start production before CyberTruck but it is not imminent :(
  • Confirmation of guidance re 500k production in 2020
    Yes :)
Icing on the cake would be any additional info re FSD (perhaps even a video) and on 4680 yield at Kato Road.
Twitter provided the FSD videos, complete with turns and roundabouts to give what looks to be 'navigate on city streets'. The comments that Kato Road would be in the top ten battery factories in the world and that it would support the ramp in Berlin (which would be the first to use 4680 at volume) were very interesting.

All in all VERY happy with the results and info provided :D

Subscription, yes, but discount, no. Speaking as a wheelchair guy myself, Elon does not need anything else on his plate for people who can already afford a Tesla anyway.
Seniors won't need to buy FSD, they can simply take a cheap robotaxis wherever they like.

As for accessible vehicles for ownership, I have no doubt Elon will be selling a modified X or Y within the next few years to accommodate wheelchair drivers. It would be quite fun from an engineering perspective, and be a massive improvement from the ridiculous 1985 options available in the market today. That model could obviously come with FSD priced wherever he likes.

This won't be a problem.