Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Washington state (Eastern side) here, I pay about 7.6 cents per KWh. Hydro is the main power source. Just curious what the KWh price is available there (I like the free one!)?

Been 5 years since I lived there, but when I was in Dallas I could always get flat-rate 8-9c/kwh.

There are a couple sites you can plug TX zip codes in and buy power from (they are all aggregators).
Power To Choose | Home

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
And Gigafactory Berlin progress:

Early in the video you can see a foundation similar to the small pit at Gigafactory Austin, on the left next to the paint shop wall.

It always amazes me how much progress they make in Berlin with so few workers, Shanghai at a similar stage was swarming with construction workers.

Is Tesla going to use the same construction technologies in Texas that they used in Berlin?

If so, are they sourcing the prefab components from Europe or from somewhere nearer to Austin?

Is Tesla going to use the same construction technologies in Texas that they used in Berlin?

If so, are they sourcing the prefab components from Europe or from somewhere nearer to Austin?

I am sure they are local. Shipping pre-fab'd concrete+steel from that far would would not be cost-advantageous.

Barron's - Nov 4-5: Why a Winning Fund Likes Tesla, Amazon, and Mastercard Stock

Excerpt:

They are also OK that No. 1 holding Tesla (TSLA) is held by a few people with a very high conviction on the stock. "Part of our thesis is that there may be essentially a second business within Tesla, in batteries and energy storage. It could become a very large business in its own right, one that is not yet fully recognized as such," Jonsson says.

Barron's - Nov 4-5: Why a Winning Fund Likes Tesla, Amazon, and Mastercard Stock

Excerpt:

They are also OK that No. 1 holding Tesla (TSLA) is held by a few people with a very high conviction on the stock. "Part of our thesis is that there may be essentially a second business within Tesla, in batteries and energy storage. It could become a very large business in its own right, one that is not yet fully recognized as such," Jonsson says.
2nd business with Tesla? NO way!!! Only 2nd?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It looks like they are going to use steel for part of the structure pillars with steel floors, and precast concrete for other parts. This is different from Berlin, which uses precast concrete for pillars, floors and walls throughout, precast concrete the roofs of casting, stamping and paint shop, and steel lattice for the roof of the drive unit, body in white and final assembly.

Steel is being sourced locally (Austin area or at least Texas), they put out tenders a couple of months ago, not sure about the precast concrete it won't be from Europe and is probably sourced locally.

It looks like they are going to use steel for part of the structure pillars with steel floors, and precast concrete for other parts. This is different from Berlin, which uses precast concrete for pillars, floors and walls throughout, precast concrete the roofs of casting, stamping and paint shop, and steel lattice for the roof of the drive unit, body in white and final assembly.

Steel is being sourced locally (Austin area or at least Texas), they put out tenders a couple of months ago, not sure about the precast concrete it won't be from Europe and is probably sourced locally.

I had noticed the difference in construction methods also. Not a civil engineer, but I was wondering if it had something to do with the differences in the soil. IIRC there were several reports that the land in TX that was chosen was very "soft".

Last edited:
The GM VP's statement at 3:15 is hilarious: "Well, General Motors has stated that our vision is zero, zero, zero vision."

I'm not making this up, it's too funny.

All in all, a fairly balanced CNBC video, but nothing new to most of us who already follow the EV industry.
My GF just made a YouTube snippet of the GM VP's zero zero zero vision comment.

Here in the Houston area I could choose a power plan that is free after 8 PM - so we are charging our Model S with wind power at no cost.

Some naysayers warn that the grid will collapse if all cars are EVs and everyone charges their car during peak demand. But $ is an strong force to guide consumer behavior. Folks will drive out of their way to save a few cents per gallon on gas. So - many people will charge when it’s cheapest - when power demand is low.

energy storage and EVs will help to smooth supply/demand in the grid.
Is that the TXU plan? That’s what I’ve got. Haven’t paid a penny to charge my car for two years.

The GM VP's statement at 3:15 is hilarious: "Well, General Motors has stated that our vision is zero, zero, zero vision."

I'm not making this up, it's too funny.

All in all, a fairly balanced CNBC video, but nothing new to most of us who already follow the EV industry.

aaaand at the end they said many/all of those trucks are available for pre-order...but then one of those interviewed said (loosely quoted) ‘preorders don’t necessarily mean sales, as we’ve seen with the model 3...resv for some can be as little as $100...etc etc’

hmm, yeah good point. he may have misspoke. or he may have intentionally misled

truth:
tesla stopped taking model 3 resv in early 2018 (pivoted to direct order)

455000 reported by aug 2017, of which less than 20% canceled.

terrible right?

q3 2020 - 128,044 (3&Y)
q2 2020 - 75,946 (3&Y - ‘free america’)
q1 2020 - 87,282 (3&Y)
q4 2019 - 86,958
q3 2019 - 79,837
q2 2019 - 72,531
q1 2019 - 62,975
q4 2018 - 61,394
q3 2018 - 56,065
q2 2018 - 18,449
q1 2018 -
q4 2017 -

the last two are tough to tell, as they weren’t exact in the quarterly reports...but prob a thousand or so in 2017 and a 2-4 thousand in q1 2018. either way

that list above is ~730k
back out 30-40k, or even 80k model Ys so far and you have more than 650k 3s sold to date

so yeah, never trust those reservation numbers from tesla...they’re terribly misleading. you’d have to assume they’re going to actually deliver endlessly more than originally indicated from the reservations...which makes it terribly hard to short and distort them. thanks cnbc

There are tons of precast plants in Texas, dozens within the Texas triangle. All the ingredients for concrete source here as well. Local sourcing of precast secured!

Green Mountain Energy, actually.

As Ross Perot might put it - there’s a giant sucking sound as oil companies lose their customers forever to power companies. It’s music to my ears.

Related perhaps.. 5:30 or so Peter Lynch talking about shale / energy. I think he sees shale / fossils in general (my projection) as textiles/ steel were in his prime investing career times. Ie shale/oil dying. Better to choose growth stocks in their growth phase before joining an index. I am interpreting a bit though.