Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need powerful GPU to drive MCU and it wouldn't surprise me to see Tesla do a in-house ARM based MCU now that they have experience with AP3.

The GPU is being used to render 3d games , maps, UI and browser. MCU1 was ARM based with an Nvidia GPU and it was replaced with the Intel Atom / Cherry Trail GPU (maybe) because the Tegra solution was too sluggish.

Elon has made it clear he wants to port more games to the Tesla infotainment system. More GPU will be needed for better content. Developing a DX, OpenGL, Vulcan compliant GPU is a monumental task that doesn't add much value to Tesla.

. Trust me when I tell you these energy companies do not have the consumer's best interest in mind as they lobby for deregulation.

tune in to the resonance frequency of government is bad, and you can lead them by the nose.

companies love competition (among their suppliers; for their own market, not so much. You know your current competitors; they may just have the same objective: raise the bottom line over war. In my country, the price for cola has magically doubled over less than 10 years. Did water get more expensive. Sweetener? Fizz? No, once Coca Cola raised prices, Pepsi followed. Repeatedly. Buying off brand now. I hate being ripped off.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Yuri_G and Skryll
https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1325162772720545792?s=19

Transport Secretary: Eric Garcetti
Commerce Secretary: Meg Whitman

Eric Garcetti is the BEV-driving mayor of Los Angeles. Could be great for TSLA.

Meg Whitman, former HP CEO. Got to be a forward-thinking person who understands how tech can disrupt. => helpful for removing TSLA interstate commerce restrictions by dealership lobbies?

Not sure anyone involved in HP recently can be trusted with "Autonomy" - Meg Whitman • Page 1 • Tag • The Register

• Helpful
Reactions: jerry33 and wtlloyd
Right. But electricity in Texas should be less than Louisiana, not more!

Texas deregulated electricity in 1999. 13 years later they had the least reliable grid in the nation. That wasn't a coincidence. Sure, the problem is fixable (with regulations) but a fully regulated grid has huge advantages over deregulating and making it the "Wild West" when it comes to grid reliability.

Private industries always crow beautiful about deregulation. They tell you how much money you will save because "competition". But it almost never plays out that way because these companies want to maximize profits. That's why they wanted to deregulate in the first place. Trust me when I tell you these energy companies do not have the consumer's best interest in mind as they lobby for deregulation.

The Engineers need to be charge - not the MBA-educated, narrative massaging professional Pointy Haired Bosses. Nor connected political people (can happen in private or public organisations), nor overly unions (unless exceptional. Whistleblowing, anti-bullying and Health & Safety key roles though).

Otherwise the basics start going wrong, climbing inspections replaced by helicopter, then scaled back (PG&E fires).

UK - Southern Water and other water companies not investing in pipes (so huge leaks which consumers pay for) and thousands of raw sewage discharges (Southern water often don't report these now - many get ill).

The question then becomes How Do You Ensure the Experts/Engineers are in charge?

My preferred option is let Elon Musk run it!

Just got the following in an email from Rivian Forum:

If you haven't already seen, we're happy to share the long awaited news that the Rivian online configurator will go live on November 16!

The notice is now displayed on the Rivian homepage and the configurator will be available for Rivian preorder holders.

The banner announcing the Rivian configurator availability on the Rivian website has been removed. Speculation on the rivian forum is the banner may have been displayed prematurely or was an initial tease.

It always amazes me how much progress they make in Berlin with so few workers, Shanghai at a similar stage was swarming with construction workers.

According to this List of minimum wages by country - Wikipedia, the minimum wage in Shanghai is $3.02 / hour. Germany is $11.03 - so 3.6x. of course I don't know what construction workers at Giga Shanghai vs. Giga Berlin earn, but the ratio is probably the same.

As such you can be sure that while in China you throw bodies at problems, in Germany you are going to throw efficiency at them. Or completely different construction methods.

(Of course the debacle that is/was BER airport is not our best example, but then that was a political construction project and SERIOUSLY OT for us here)

Last edited:
The GPU is being used to render 3d games , maps, UI and browser. MCU1 was ARM based with an Nvidia GPU and it was replaced with the Intel Atom / Cherry Trail GPU (maybe) because the Tegra solution was too sluggish.

Elon has made it clear he wants to port more games to the Tesla infotainment system. More GPU will be needed for better content. Developing a DX, OpenGL, Vulcan compliant GPU is a monumental task that doesn't add much value to Tesla.

The MCU1 GPU is clearly awful. I have one and I hate it, but TBH a LOT of that will be just incredibly sloppy coding. It could be so much better.
I disagree that the car needs, or will *ever* need a particularly good GPU for the MCU. Even if for some insane reason you wanted to run high end FPS games on the screen (and this is a really small use case), its still a SMALL monitor, and thus the fill-rate for rendering is going to be low.
Modern gaming GPUs are aimed at super-high end setups. My monitor is 5120x1440 res, and its aimed at that, or on super-high end VR like the Vive/Index with 90 FPS in each eye at 1080p or higher per eye. Thats MASSIVELY more demanding than a fairly small monitor in a car.
Any low-spec laptop GPU should be more than adequate. Even if you want fancy autopilot rendering with realistic lighting yada yada.

source: Am game developer :D

Mod: 8 posts moved to Texas Energy Grid OT and thread locked. We don't like to delete real content if it's avoidable, but the conversation was starting to get acrimonious. I'm pretty sure GPU discussion is also irrelevant. --ggr

~~~Pretty sure I agree: GPU discussion to continue somewhere else. No more here~~~

Last edited by a moderator: