Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod note: It is not at all clear that this article is true. --ggr

Consumer Watchdog Hacks A Tesla to Prove Dangers of Wirelessly Connected Cars
It is only my opinion but in general I think hacking should outright be illegal unless it is for assisting in making a platform more secure. In this case when you hack a system and publish/brag the results without allowing the software manufacturer a chance to correct the issue then you are IMO illegally hacking. YES, I think people should get paid for their work in finding vulnerabilities. It should not be done as blackmail tho.

It's like kicking in someones door (front or back) and trying to tell the police you were just testing if the door was solid.

Step 2. Put together a committee to study the discussions of manufacturing batteries.
Then assign people from the committee to head task forces to determine the various challenges involved in manufacturing batteries rather than just buying a bunch of "Lithium" Duracells...

GM is doing so well with BEV's they just recalled 69,000 Bolts with fire risk problems...
Even better, owners have to take the cars to the dealerships in order to have the new "corrected" software installed... maybe they can sell them a CGI eHummer while they're there. The salesmen will have a field day...

I do?

You must have me confused with someone else.

I think you are reading my generic you as a personal you.

I used it generically as in the phrase "You have some people thinking we should lower taxes, and you have some people thinking we should raise them" for example.

Neither "you" means you personally.

Last edited:
Plus, many of the hacks were only possible by plugging into the port, not over the air. This is just another FUD hit piece.
The original Keen Labs attacks that are mentioned in the actual paper relied on the owner accepting a wifi connection to a hostile access point. Thanks for reminding me of this, because in the video he says something about the cellular data connection, but the car is connected to wifi:
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 15.16.41 .png

This makes it trivial to spoof websites and so on.

The Keen Labs guys give regular talks at the Qualcomm annual Security Summit, which I went to because that's the group I used to run.

We also have no idea whether the car they did this demo in is running up to date software, or has been rooted.

Why in the hell did Ark ever allow that option to be part of their agreement with Resolute? What did they initially get in return? Something seems awry with this, anxious to hear more from Cathy.

BINGO! Either they really REALLY needed the investment bad enough that they were willing to accept this . . . or they need new lawyers to review their docs before they sign stuff.

Why in the hell did Ark ever allow that option to be part of their agreement with Resolute? What did they initially get in return? Something seems awry with this, anxious to hear more from Cathie.

Own Ark, like Ark.

If they signed a contract like this they must have had good reason, or they were stupid. Have no idea which.

Either way a deal is a deal.

Reactions: Maitri982
Why in the hell did Ark ever allow that option to be part of their agreement with Resolute? What did they initially get in return? Something seems awry with this, anxious to hear more from Cathie.

Sometimes when in the early phases of a new venture deals favor those bringing the cash or other necessary benefits. Think about Tesla with MB and Toyota investment.

Trouble appears to be brewing at Ark Investment
Resolute to take majority ownership of ARK Investment Management
Resolute to take majority ownership of ARK Investment Management
ARK founder expresses 'disappointment' in the move

Off topic -

According to the article, Resolute is exercising an option in their contract, so this isn’t exactly a hostile takeover. It makes me wonder why Ark would agree to that option in the first place if they were so strongly against it?

Sometimes when in the early phases of a new venture deals favor those bringing the cash or other necessary benefits. Think about Tesla with MB and Toyota investment.
Understand, but I would be surprised if an option of this magnitude were included in any investment agreement they had. I've been involved in contract management most of my career and this is tantamount to giving away the store if you become successful. In fact, it would be a deal breaker for me were I to make a substantial investment in an organization with such a clause. That's why I think there is more to this than meets the eye and why I'm interested to hear more from Cathie's perspective.

Mod note: It is not at all clear that this article is true. --ggr

Consumer Watchdog Hacks A Tesla to Prove Dangers of Wirelessly Connected Cars
Looking closer at the video it appears the car is logged onto WiFi. I am betting they did one of the oldest tricks in the book, which is to spoof a WiFi signal and get people to log into it.

I am betting they, before the video, logged into a WiFi connection and then used the typical password forward log in screen as a "you are hacked" page. There isn't really much any company can do about people logging into illegitimate WiFi spoofs. Could this be done with a 4G cell spoof too?

I am sure you all have logged onto public free wifi and then the password screen pops up... right?
As many a hacker has done before.... you can take any wifi router, change the NAME to, "McDonald's free WiFi" and people will log onto it. The other thing you can do is go down to your local Coffee shop, logon to their Wifi, write down what they call it. Then about a block or two away setup a WiFi router to broadcast with the same name as the Coffee shops router. Anyone who has set that as a "remembered" WiFi address will automatically log on to your fake WiFi. Then the password screen will popup. That's when you direct them to, "For free WiFi click here and install our free APP". It is one of the oldest tricks in the book. It does not work on a Tesla because you can not install APPs on a Tesla.
I have not logged onto public WiFi in my Tesla. Does it pop-up the browser for you to check the "I accept" box and sign in?

(EDIT) I want to add since I can clearly see the WiFi symbol at the end of the video that I have report the video to Youtube as a scam. This is not a hack. You can do what they did to ANY cellphone or computer. This is more like extortion.

Last edited: