Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The discussion on selling covered calls being bearish, well I'm looking to sell calls as I need some money. I'd rather sell calls where the premiums cover my needs at a strike I don't mind selling, as opposed to selling core shares at a lower price.

Makes sense, no?

My plans are similar. And I see myself as a huge bull. :-D

When SP reaches $1000-1200 - I will be selling covered calls at double SP when those are available. Feel free to call me bearish. :)

At $2000 - I will have enough. :) And if we don't reach $2k within expiry - the better. :-D

And profit from calls will be used to boost my position, either more shares direct, or most likely selling puts at -20% SP until assigned. Then sell more calls on these.

Edit: Is it possible to sell puts with security in stock, when I have sold leap calls on these stock? I guess not, but should be..? as I wont get assigned share through put at say $1000 - AND get my shares called away at $2000 at the same time. ;-) But then. always possibility that someone will exercise options early.

Last edited:
The thing is, it enable you to explore things that you never could before. It was also during this time devoid of distraction that I managed to find the next big thing that outperformed even TSLA and devoted my energy into furthering that cause.

I've heard multiple folks who reached a point where they can spend their time and attention freely, say similar things. Looking forward to try it out myself at some point. It's a very foreign concept when you've only ever had breaks of holiday length for your whole life, and had a somewhat ambitious and directed focus the entire rest of the time. It doesn't surprise me that it could lead to discovering things that otherwise go undiscovered.

Interesting point on the D3 auction house as well. Actually had a similar thought when the game came out, then related to automated trading, and again when the cryptocurrency boom started. But never got around to making anything of it, unfortunately. Too distracted by more mundane ambitions :)

But the world of technology keeps getting more and more interesting and weird for each year. So I'm certain similar opportunities will show up again. It's an absolutely fantastic time for curiosity and open-mindedness.

Tobias Lindh has updated his timeline of Shanghai and Berlin factory building progress:

Gigas.jpeg

Source: https://twitter.com/tobilindh/status/1329380197636968448

The discussion on selling covered calls being bearish, well I'm looking to sell calls as I need some money. I'd rather sell calls where the premiums cover my needs at a strike I don't mind selling, as opposed to selling core shares at a lower price.

Makes sense, no?
It’s a strategy- you hear that it is bearish more when
the SP spikes, but not when SP is sideways or tanks.
The last 2 scenarios are what the Strategy is for.
For the 1st case if you are happy with the strike you can let it exercise or you can roll it.

Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec the CC’s worked great for me.However the final roll from Dec to Jan is now working against me. I rolled the CCs to take Dec profits and was not expecting S&P . The CC had a strike with probability ITM of like 90%, but now it is at 76%. I have options. I could roll to April and I think I can negate it. However I could sell 2 June calls and close 10 Jan CCs. Then I can close a few June calls to get time premiums and sell CC’s for the rest. So this is my strategy - I don’t care about small issues with CC’s for this reason.

the monies from the CC’s has been reinvested into Tesla calls - that should make me a super Bull and only below those doing so on margin :)

I recommend this documentary:

I think a lot of what happened when photography went from film to digital will be very similar to when automotive goes from fossil fuel to electric. The writing was on the wall for Kodak just as much as it is on the wall for GM(who made the original EV) and the rest, but all their products into the new market have been flops. Just like Kodak.

But Canon and Nikon did well in the transition to digital, other companies like Olympus and Leica did OK. They even seem to be surviving the rise of the mobile phone camera age, competing with a camera that effectively comes free with the phone.

You have to be really careful with making analogies.

Disclosure: I worked for Canon 2001-2004 in their European Research Labs,

I doubt those are related. That'd be some serious conspiracy stuff.

I think it'd mostly just be Buffet's name. He's supposed to be this legendary investor that many look up to. It'd just be some good publicity for TSLA, and another huge vote of confidence by somebody big in the investing world. It'd help further change the overall market's perspective on Tesla. There are still loads of people who think TSLA is overvalued, and Buffet's Berkshire investing could make them re-evaluate their opinion.

I personally don't think it'd have massive implications for the stock or anything, and I don't have any vested interest in it being true besides it being cool that I was the one to first speak of the possibility. I'm mostly just curious whom bought all the shares that were sold by institutional investors during Q3. If it's not Berkshire Hathaway, my guess is that it's likely that some company bought a large, but not 5%+, stake in Tesla, similar to Tencent a couple of years ago. Companies like Tencent don't have to file 13Fs, because they are not investment managers. We only found out about Tencent's investment because it surpassed 5%, and had to be declared by 13G/D.

Although other evidence for the naked short theory is weak imo, the sale of most of these shares likely happened between the split announcement and the split. Given this very specific timing, I wonder if perhaps, instead of a large entity acquiring a new long position, the shares were bought by naked shorts to cover positions.
Should it be Buffet buying a stake i wonder what the impact would be. Does he push for a seat on the board? Do Tesla products get incorporated through the Berkshire conglomerate ( e.g. autobidder, megapacks in their energy cos. Solar roof and power wall in Clayton homes)? Can buffet accelerate lobbying efforts for direct vehicle sales?

Berkshire is so big that nearly every area in which Tesla plays there is a competitor and potential partner.

Should it be Buffet buying a stake i wonder what the impact would be. Does he push for a seat on the board? Do Tesla products get incorporated through the Berkshire conglomerate ( e.g. autobidder, megapacks in their energy cos. Solar roof and power wall in Clayton homes)? Can buffet accelerate lobbying efforts for direct vehicle sales?

Berkshire is so big that nearly every area in which Tesla plays there is a competitor and potential partner.

Buffets approach is generally hands off. I expect he would do close to none of those things.