Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it would be even funnier if the first half of that warning was blacked out.
OT
777992.jpg

Definately funnier: "Budget" carwash. :p

Dec 18th $800's were selling for ~$33-$34.

Even if you sell Jan-2023s, you can always buyback when it goes down. I understand that the price of near dated options move down fast in your favor (also move up fast), however, the risk of assignment is very very low for Jan-2023, in case the price goes to $800, saving you taxes. This among other similar advantages with Jan-2023S at a much safer strike (1000 vs 800).

No capital-gain on personal trading accounts in Belgium, so for my core shares I don't care about taxes.

My trading account though is under my company, and that's where I've made my exponential gains, so yeah, the cost of success!

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but Tesla's traffic data is hugely inferior to Google Maps in Houston TX. Sometimes it's a total joke that completely misses road shutdowns due to construction or traffic.

This is a great example of where Google Big Data > Tesla Big Data: The number of people driving around anywhere using Google Maps (and feeding Big Data) must be an order of magnitude higher than Teslas driving around and feeding their Big Data (or whoever is their service provider).

Now, conversely:Tesla Big Data on actual telematics, NN, ML, etc of their fleet is > everyone else.

I guess the question to Tesla might be: what's more important to your stated goal: winning at self-driving, or winning at traffic information?
The former Tesla just generates itself, the latter they should buy from a better source until Tesla Fleet > rest of the fleet

This is a great example of where Google Big Data > Tesla Big Data: The number of people driving around anywhere using Google Maps (and feeding Big Data) must be an order of magnitude higher than Teslas driving around and feeding their Big Data (or whoever is their service provider).

Now, conversely:Tesla Big Data on actual telematics, NN, ML, etc of their fleet is > everyone else.

I guess the question to Tesla might be: what's more important to your stated goal: winning at self-driving, or winning at traffic information?
The former Tesla just generates itself, the latter they should buy from a better source until Tesla Fleet > rest of the fleet
Right now Tesla are using data from Mapbox and get their sattelite overlay from Google. I assume that at some point Tesla will generate their own maps, but are not ready to do this yet. For each year that goes the number of Teslas on the road increases, at some point theiy will have enough Teslas in many areas that they can generate their own traffic data. Not just seeing where the GPS position of phones are moving, but also seeing other vehicles using cameras can potentially be a huge advantage.

Different people with different circumstances, which is why a forum like this is so interesting. I'm happy with either outcome.

Yes, but here's the thing: Hasn't the market been in this place before?

Surely there must be some near Tesla-equivalent large cap companies that have been added to the S&P 500 in years past so that we can learn from their SP changes in the before, during, and after, time frames?

I too am a very long-term TSLA HODL-er, but now have massive amounts of TSLA assets that it would be nice to monetize for some cash flow via covered calls, BUT for the fact that I might get called out and leave millions on the table. An odd, first-world problem, I know, but still . . . .

Absolutely hate to be flying blind here, especially given the sums involved since we purchased our first (of many) shares in 2013.

>> BUT for the fact that I might get called out and leave millions on the table

Don't think about the millions, think about the % of total value. It is easier to not care about 0.5% of your total asset than it is to not care about a million. Even when they are the same thing.

I find that I lost interest in buying new shares, even TSLA.
My fresh dry powder does not change anything substantial for me anymore as it more than drowns in daily volatility. Heck, it even surpasses my yearly income. I can relax and watch as it travels skyhigh, doing my daily job with little stress. I got my hobby back.

Nice.

Last edited:
From the bottom of my heart: those bastards. I have no words that can accurately describe my feelings for them.

They have cheated over and over again, knowing full well that it is of imperatively importance that we get all cars converted to electric, and yet they do this over and over again.

When I was a kid, in the 80ties or 90ties, I saw in the news that a car had been made that could run on some renewable bio-fuel, and I was overjoyed. I was very concerned about climate change already then, and I though that this was it, now they would start making greener cars.

And yet here we are. They cheated. Again.
How many more times will we see this?

Sorry, that was a rant, and not very useful. I just get so angry.

Thanks to our own Alex Voight @avoight, The CEO of VW Herbert Diess agrees. See his video/translation of this interview. It’s quite eye opening. Head over to YouTube and show him some love for his hard work.
The market valuation is appropriate and deserved.

My pleasure and thanks for your kind words!

Herbert Diess, CEO VW in Nov 2020

“ ... you have to take a person who changes the industry in such a way very seriously. And he doesn't only do it in the car. His commitment in space is also remarkable and therefore worthwhile to deal with him.” (…) “He is already an impressive personality, has a very quick perception, is analytically very strong, has a good physics education background, and therefore knows what he is talking about.”

Making such a video is a ton of work, to be honest, and I appreciate all the comments I received its to be of value. My mission to start writing and doing videos has a lot to do with the lack of reporting out of Germany from the media.

If they report it's usually just what confirms their narrative but they leave important information out.

VW, and I'm one of the strongest critics of the ID.3, Taycan and eTron, is the only company right now IMO that is positioned to become a #2 globally.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the bottom of my heart: those bastards. I have no words that can accurately describe my feelings for them.

They have cheated over and over again, knowing full well that it is of imperatively importance that we get all cars converted to electric, and yet they do this over and over again.

When I was a kid, in the 80ties or 90ties, I saw in the news that a car had been made that could run on some renewable bio-fuel, and I was overjoyed. I was very concerned about climate change already then, and I though that this was it, now they would start making greener cars.

And yet here we are. They cheated. Again.
How many more times will we see this?

Sorry, that was a rant, and not very useful. I just get so angry.

I recently spoke with one used-car salesguy. He said that often they as trade-in they get a pluginhybrid, where battery is completely broken, because it has never been plugged in. Especially common if they are company cars. Hybrids are taxed less here.

Excerpt from the note (emphasis added):

Raising PT to $560, Bull Case now $1,000. While Model 3's remain the core driver, going forward new designs around Cybertruck and Model Y will further aid growth globally and thus enable to Tesla to achieve its million delivery units likely by 2023 (2022 not out of the question) in our opinion. As such, we are raising our price target from $500 to $560 and new Bull Case target from $800 to $1,000 to reflect this steeper demand EV adoption curve over the next 18 to 24 months for Tesla with China and Europe the linchpins of growth.
Their base case delivery model has 710K units for 2021, 932K units for 2022, and 1,085K units for 2023. 2030 deliveries are only 1,961K. I mean this is a really low bar to beat. I know some of you are looking for the 1M delivery milestone in 2021 so I think it's good to give this context. Personally, I think 1M will be a challenge with three factories ramping up simultaneously (including the Model Y in Shanghai) but 900K is a good goal. Happy to be wrong though!

This note still underestimates what most likely will happen:

1) 710k for 2021 is only an extrapolation of the production in the current quarter (Q4 2020). Whilst this is not sure yet, it is very likely that the goal of 180k produced this quarter will be reached. 180k x 4 = 720k current production rate, i.e. without Berlin, Texas and extra Shanghai buildings.

2) 932k units for 2022 is more likely the case for 2021. (And then some. 1 million to 1,2 million produced in 2021 is my guesstimate)

3) by 2022 1 million a year is very likely. More like the ballpark of 1,5 million (bear case) to 2 million (bull case).

4) their 2023 base case of 1,085k units is insanely low. Double it and we'll talk.

But hey, as long as the market keeps underestimating Tesla, so does the competition and the other investors out there. More shares to be bought at a discount for us :D.

Can't wait to read the next Wedbush notes in the coming years and how they'll spin it.