Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only VW as contender for #2?

I'm german myself, as you are, so don't you think we have home-bias and are underestimating the Chinese and Koreans?

We definitely have home bias but having looked at what Chinese and Koreans offer I am not convinced that they will be very strong in Europe and US with BEVs in the future

Time will tell but right now I don't see it despite many firms out there

This is a great example of where Google Big Data > Tesla Big Data: The number of people driving around anywhere using Google Maps (and feeding Big Data) must be an order of magnitude higher than Teslas driving around and feeding their Big Data (or whoever is their service provider).

Now, conversely:Tesla Big Data on actual telematics, NN, ML, etc of their fleet is > everyone else.

I guess the question to Tesla might be: what's more important to your stated goal: winning at self-driving, or winning at traffic information?
The former Tesla just generates itself, the latter they should buy from a better source until Tesla Fleet > rest of the fleet
Or Tesla could partner with Google Maps sharing information somehow for better maps.

Reactions: wipster and FS_FRA
Yes, but here's the thing: Hasn't the market been in this place before?
No sir. Never in the course of human history has economics ever been in exactly the same place as at any point before. Too, too, too many moving parts.

(Edit - Or Madam, I have no idea.)

Last edited:
Right now Tesla are using data from Mapbox and get their sattelite overlay from Google. I assume that at some point Tesla will generate their own maps, but are not ready to do this yet. For each year that goes the number of Teslas on the road increases, at some point theiy will have enough Teslas in many areas that they can generate their own traffic data. Not just seeing where the GPS position of phones are moving, but also seeing other vehicles using cameras can potentially be a huge advantage.

Tesla is generating their own traffic data now. And have been since 2018.

The issue since June is they're only using their own traffic data now instead of supplementing it with data from Inrix like they used to and which comes from a vastly, vastly, tinier fleet size than the bigger traffic-data providers have available- thus the complaints the realtime traffic info isn't terribly useful today in most places.

But it's obviously not "bad" enough to impact sales, and saves the company $ not paying 3rd party data providers, so while it may provide a less than optimal user experience for some owners, it'd be hard from an investor perspective to think it'd be worth the data cost to Tesla to go back to using a big provider.

I know this is going to come to as a shocking surprise to a lot of you, but CNBC isn't mentioning TSLA in its "stocks making the biggest moves in pre-market". I mean, its up more than nearly every other company mentioned, but....
I think I saw Lora lying next to a Tesla in a grocery parking lot taking selfie with a bottle of ketchup opened up (maybe trying to pretend to be blood). Sad story.

After jan 21, your calls wouldn't be covered?

They will still be covered, but I can buy them back with lower time value and IV. Hopefully.

If you expect IV to spike next month wouldn't you want to wait to sell June 21 CCs and get more money for them?

Yes, and I may still sell more covered calls if it spikes in December. I just didnt want to fund the December calls by selling shares.

Last edited:
Reactions: saniflash
If you're asking for a citation that Tesla sends traffic data back to the mothership the source would be... Tesla... in the release notes when it was added to the car:

Now up until June this year, they used Inrix traffic data to supplement their own, but Firmware 2020.24 removed it, so since then it's been Teslas own fleet data only.

Source on that change here:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1275605730406682626
Good deal, thanks.

Or Tesla could partner with Google Maps sharing information somehow for better maps.

Yeah - sure, probably not really necessary to reinvent the wheel. Perhaps adding the non-Tesla generated data from Google to Tesla generated data through the fleet will make navigation even more accurate. There will be a point of fleet size penetration by Tesla where they will be able to rely entirely on their own fleet data, however I think you can never have enough data, especially for predictive systems such as FSD.