Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought into Tesla it was like a 4bn mkt cap so I’m up x 100 on initial investment, do people really think the shares can still rise x 10 !!?? 6 trillion mkt cap ?????

Tesla maybe the first company to hit a trillion dollars in revenue, so a 6 trillion dollar marketcap at that time is just 6 x sales..lol

The cool thing about Tesla is that revenue is about to go parabolic due to the nature of its multiplier.

For every 100k car they sell
-30k customers will want a 10k software package, and perhaps 10k more people will want a subscription down the road as software gets better and better.
-close to all of these customers will want premium connectivity
-a portion of these people will op for a solar roof/panel/power wall
-a good portion of these people will use Tesla super chargers
-a good portion will sign up for Tesla insurance
-a good portion will wreck their cars so Tesla can sell high margin parts that insurance companies will have to pay for

And now we have Tesla adding 150k more sales this year vs last. Then we have Tesla adding 400k more sales next year than this one. So on and so forth. So it's not just about the car but everything that surrounds the car Tesla will take a cut from. This is the power of vertical integration. When people say the car is actually just the platform, this is what they mean. Short term yeah maybe Tesla can become overvalued due to stock shenanigans, but long term this is pretty much in the bag.

"Electrical Cadillacs" :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes: I just emailed my cousin who is the head tech at a Cadillac dealership in PA. I asked if his dealership is going in on EV's or bailing. His answer will be interesting.
Kodak moments keep writing themselves! Tesla is going to be building Porsche’s for Camry money and no one else is showing up. Maybe VW, but the ICE stakeholders keep shutting legacy auto down every time they make any progress. Tesla’s greatest obstacle is designing new cars and building new plants and delivering on the promise of battery day.

The article that goes along with the video is interesting. It states that the top marginal tax rate is 13.3% in California. California income taxes are too damn high!
Yep. And Cali does not distinguish between short term and long term capital gains. So everything is taxed the same.

Still, I love ❤️ my California and would not want to retire anywhere else!

Here's one he made 4 months ago that leads with concern about Tesla. It had 2 views when I found it.

That's one of the most convincing ads I've ever seen to help an ICE driver decide to go electric! What could be more credible and convincing than an ICE dealer recommending that other ICE dealers be pro-active about retaining their ICE service customers because EV's have more simple drive trains and don't need much service so, as people switch to EV's the pool of customers that need your shop services is permanently declining.:)

So you had better groom the ones you have so your shrinking customer base doesn't switch to a cheaper independent mechanic/service shop.

I had to 'like' that video it was so convincing!

When I bought into Tesla it was like a 4bn mkt cap so I’m up x 100 on initial investment, do people really think the shares can still rise x 10 !!?? 6 trillion mkt cap ?????

Yes

Hopefully this question is in the right thread, but I'd love some opinions regarding this;

I will have 30k to play with soon. Should I;

1. Pay off my Tesla for which I still have 27k financed and invest new money into TSLA

or

2. Put 30k into TSLA despite the higher stock price and wait it out? I'm TSLA long all the way.

Finance and invest as long as you can afford the payments. I financed my Model S at 1.49%, invested the cash instead into TSLA and have gained a little more than 1.49% return on that investment :cool:. You could always split the different and adjust the numbers to fit your specific financial situation (put more money down to decrease your monthly payments). There is a meme out there showing what 77K invested in 2012 could be worth today vs buying a 77K Model S for cash at that time, I believe the number is 6.6M o_O

I am pretty familiar with Alameda county because I work and live there. I would be shocked beyond belief if they close the factory again. There was a lot of local backlash about the factory shutdown the first go around.
1/3 of the cars on the road are Teslas in the Bay Area. That means at least 1/3 of the voters understand tesla and are not happy with the unfair treatment displayed towards Tesla. it would be political suicide at this point.
The mayor and about half of the local reps in Fremont drive Teslas. Fremont PD has Teslas...I could go on. I just don’t see it happening again.
Agree with you completely. Alameda county learnt a lesson the hard way - NEVER GO AGAINST ELON MUSK

No matter how positively they painted the outcome, they lost the last battle with Elon pretty badly and came out looking foolish in the process. The public backlash was resounding - other than a few idiots like that Sandiego congresswoman, no one supported them, not even the City of Fremont or neighboring counties. They had to back down and give him what he wanted. They will not try that dumb move again.

She’s like 19 years old. She has no life experience.

When I was 13-19 years old I knew enough to not state things as fact unless I knew with a reasonable degree of certainty they were actual facts.

And I wasn't even a reporter. I did work on the my high school student "newspaper" when I was 17 y.o. Maybe that gave me a leg up on this 19 year-old CNBC reporter? ;)

Where does CNBC get these newscasters?

She actually said,

"Well, we'll see if he (Elon) follows through with it (moving to Texas). He was of course the first major businessperson to pit states against each other to get them to compete for his business."

What? How could she say that? She is a business (CNBC) reporter? Yeah, no other businessperson had ever done that... :rolleyes:
I'm just glad that Jeff Bezos never tried anything that daring.

I'm just glad that Jeff Bezos never tried anything that daring.
Yes but Bezos is jealous of everything Elon does, the reason that he did the fiasco with Amazon HQ2 was because he was angry that Elon was able to get states to compete with each other for the site of the next Giga and he wanted to prove he could do it bigger.

Most of what Bezos does seems to be due to personal envy of Elon, everything from Blue Origin to the Amazon HQ2 thing can be explained by some kind of inferiority complex he has when he thinks about Elon, which is apparently all the time.

Whhhhhhhaaaaattt.

That's just crazy so you are saying half of your money is gone if you sell Tesla as a long term share holder?
Yes, 37% Federal tax bracket if short term and 13% State. These are the highest brackets - which would be a reality if we tried to sell stock while still working. So my plan in taxable account is HODL till retirement- then do a mix and match of tax-free retirement withdrawals and selling of long term stock in taxed account. Hopefully manage to bring taxable income into a lower tax bracket

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
Yes

Finance and invest as long as you can afford the payments. I financed my Model S at 1.49%, invested the cash instead into TSLA and have gained a little more than 1.49% return on that investment :cool:. You could always split the different and adjust the numbers to fit your specific financial situation (put more money down to decrease your monthly payments). There is a meme out there showing what 77K invested in 2012 could be worth today vs buying a 77K Model S for cash at that time, I believe the number is 6.6M o_O

Yeah, but my rate is 6% as my credit is still in the rebuilding process (over many years now). Had a rough go of it before 2017 but things have been stable since. I'm thinking a solid investment in TSLA now is more valuable than using new money to buy smaller share groups over time. This way I can benefit from the runup to the S&P inclusion (and I'm holding long anyway). I plan to pay the car ASAP with new income. You got a great rate at 1.49%!

• Love
Reactions: Model S M.D.
I am pretty familiar with Alameda county because I work and live there. I would be shocked beyond belief if they close the factory again. There was a lot of local backlash about the factory shutdown the first go around.
1/3 of the cars on the road are Teslas in the Bay Area. That means at least 1/3 of the voters understand tesla and are not happy with the unfair treatment displayed towards Tesla. it would be political suicide at this point.
The mayor and about half of the local reps in Fremont drive Teslas. Fremont PD has Teslas...I could go on. I just don’t see it happening again.
I'm afraid your unfamiliarity with the meaning of fractions leads me to distrust everything else you posted here. Perhaps your "1/3" is intended as some sort of joke? hyperbole?

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: dc_h and Beltsbear
Depends on your income. If you can afford the payments and your lifestyle; it’s a no brainer. 2.5-4% apr for the car financing...tesla is growing at 50% yoy.

Howdy Fire. Thanks for your response! I can easily afford the payments with no change to my lifestyle, and would pay the car down ASAP on top of 30k in TSLA. I figured that with TSLA, sooner is better. The financed car can be paid over time with little downside. :) Thanks!

Reactions: FireMedic
Play, just pay off the loan. Invest for long run - do it. My feeling is that TSLA's valued at least a couple of years ahead of itself, so if you need the money earlier - plan accordingly

So, you're in the invest now and also pay the loan ASAP group? I hear you on the stock price, but I'm in for the long run with TSLA. I guess I need to strike a balance here. I may put some toward the car and most toward TSLA. :) Thanks for your thoughts on this!