Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be nice if from here on out we went up in roughly $100/share on a weekly basis. It makes it so easy to figure out the worth of TSLA stock in my portfolio. Don't you agree.

I did say I was looking for 3% / day - and then 30% afer 12/17..... not looking too bad so far at average of 3.1%:

(apologies for non-US date and comma/period format :D)

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-5_12-14-44.png
    upload_2020-12-5_12-14-44.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Selling for retirement is unnecessary. Just get a line of credit with the shares as collateral: 1) you don’t sell your shares so you don’t pay taxes 2) your shares continue to appreciate while you take from the line of credit, very likely they will appreciate much more than the low interest (I pay 2.2% at E*Trade) you pay over the principal balance.
Eventually, I assume you need to sell shares to pay down the credit debt? Or are you saying your borrowing limit just keeps increasing (as TSLA investment value increases) faster than you draw it down? So you just keep borrowing?

What does that do to your credit rating?

Tesla doesn't make every Model S they can make. Probably doesn't make every Model X they can make. A year ago they reduced capacity from 100k to 90k per year. Even as Tesla increases footprint globally.

Every so often Tesla also reduces prices, adds equipment without raising prices or has promotions when production runs ahead of demand. Even for Model 3.

Huge parking lots full of cars is the business model for large OEMs. Have large selection available to purchase on the spot. Not having to order and wait weeks/months.

The Detroit business model is also to pad the MSRP and then discount. Buyers of Detroit brands expect a sizeable discount from MSRP. It doesn't mean the Detroit companies are receiving less money than they expected for their vehicles.

Ford/GM/FCA doesn't have to idle pickup truck production. Even during the pandemic.

The Europeans also don't have to idle production on their money makers.

Some companies like Nissan are in trouble and have to idle many plants over the world.

Then there are companies like Subaru. That are trying to make every car they can make and sell them quickly once they do.

Yes, operations are different when you have .1%,1%,or 10% market share.

Another post (@jbcarioca ?) mentioned that in some countries, EV adoption is top end prestige & maybe bottom end cheap. This probably matches wealth (rather than income) distribution.

If Tesla sold Model S/X in such countries, then probably huge demand/sales, creates basic infrastructure and a halo effect for later. I'm not sure how profitable S/X are though. making Model 3/Y might be better use of space, labour, money. Might be best after refresh/4680 etc.

Thailand (not best example as huge import taxes on USA cars, Chinese built have lower tax), Brazil, those kind of countries (depends very much on import taxes).

Even in Thailand (Bjorn Nyland videos), Teslas are imported from Right Hand Drive countries/locations like UK/Hong Kong. In-country enthusiast/maintainers/importers do servicing. Major fixes require shipping to UK/HK & back to Thailand. Prices paid are huge but are being paid.

Large images/video links/Supercharger map/link in spoiler
TchLs_ujMw?t=149 Thai police will use 7 Model 3 Performance (video at import tax, best summary)

Tesla gray market ownership in Thailand
Why Tesla should come to Thailand

supercharge.info - shows why new China Supercharger factory is useful
upload_2020-12-5_12-28-45.png

Also, I don't have a link, so treat with a large pinch of salt... I seem to remember some OEMs crushing/recycling unsold new cars. I can't remember the details.

Q is - how profitable are S&X compared to 3/Y?

Last edited:
Hopefully this question is in the right thread, but I'd love some opinions regarding this;

I will have 30k to play with soon. Should I;

1. Pay off my Tesla for which I still have 27k financed and invest new money into TSLA

or

2. Put 30k into TSLA despite the higher stock price and wait it out? I'm TSLA long all the way.
Not advice: Don't go in all at once, spread your accumulation of TSLA over a few purchases (six to ten) so that you get a lower average cost. Keep the loan.

Selling for retirement is unnecessary. Just get a line of credit with the shares as collateral: 1) you don’t sell your shares so you don’t pay taxes 2) your shares continue to appreciate while you take from the line of credit, very likely they will appreciate much more than the low interest (I pay 2.2% at E*Trade) you pay over the principal balance.

How do you plan on paying that margin gradually?
Let’s say you went 50% in margin when the stock price was $300, now that the price increased to $600, your margin represents 25% of your investment because it doubled.

Do you sell stocks to pay it or you use dividends from other companies to pay for it or you use the profits from option selling or you borrow more on margin and sell those extra borrowed share to cover your initial margin?

What is your plan to cover for your margin?

I know this sounds a little ridiculous…and it may have been mentioned before.

Seeing Uber hitting all time highs SP and closing in on $100bn for no apparent reason; anybody think there’s a chance the Tesla has a potential partnership. To me, it makes sense to try to launch a ride healing network; but I just don’t really think they have the available bandwidth to develop their ride hailing network.

Elon mentioned being open to a partnership with an existing company, it kind of got my brain moving in that direction. I didn’t think it would be a car company because they have nothing to gain.

But maybe an existing ride hailing service. I know they already have some sort of deal with Uber; when I’ve needed to go to a service center they put me in an Uber instead of a loaner car sometimes.
Anyone have any thoughts on that? That’s all for now.

IMHO Turo makes more sense

Reactions: UkNorthampton
When I bought into Tesla it was like a 4bn mkt cap so I’m up x 100 on initial investment, do people really think the shares can still rise x 10 !!?? 6 trillion mkt cap ?????

I expect Elon Musk will grow Tesla’s market cap to whatever level necessary to build a city on Mars with his CEO compensation. Not joking

Such an endeavor will cost at least $1 trillion, and Elon owns about 1/6 of Tesla - so that seems about right. 10x from here.

Last edited:
Long from $28 in Sept 2012 !

sold one tranche at $576 to offset some cash against buying a Model 3 last year.

should I sell one third of remaining shares at this $3000 level ?

If it's good for you personal circumstances, why not. Personally I expect it to go higher in the coming weeks, but then again it might not who knows...

As I need some cash I may sell some shares if the price goes high enough, or covered calls, not sure yet, see how things pan-out.

Weekend off-topic, more Gridserve stuff from elsewhere in TMC. Best video I've seen referenced. Gives a good idea of what can be achieved, I'm sure you can think of many other improvements. Good to have Tesla & non-tesla available at same location.

Enjoy the exercise bikes that power the 350 kw car chargers - Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread] - @Chuq

Last edited:
That's one of the most convincing ads I've ever seen to help an ICE driver decide to go electric! What could be more credible and convincing than an ICE dealer recommending that other ICE dealers be pro-active about retaining their ICE service customers because EV's have more simple drive trains and don't need much service so, as people switch to EV's the pool of customers that need your shop services is permanently declining.:)

So you had better groom the ones you have so your shrinking customer base doesn't switch to a cheaper independent mechanic/service shop.

I had to 'like' that video it was so convincing!

And apparently, these electrical cars have no power-trains, imagine!