Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are staggering numbers in China!
Perspective on why the Chinese GF is monumentally important

And Tesla is the first and only foreign auto maker owning their own production facility in China.

This is a serious, strategic advantage for Tesla, one that only a genius of a CEO could be expected to achieve.

And Tesla is the first and only foreign auto maker owning their own production facility in China.

This is a serious, strategic advantage for Tesla, one that only a genius of a CEO could be expected to achieve.

What, you mean the guy that the shorts keep insisting must be removed "for our benefit"?
You can also substitute "SEC" for "shorts" in the above sentence. In fact, you can do that surprisingly often.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-06-at-12.24.14-AM.jpg

https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/uploads/Cal-Alt-Powertrain-Report-1Q-19-Release.pdf

Which country are your parents in and how easy is it to move there? ;-)

Some data-points for Belgium...

- I had a Heart CT Scan a year back, I paid €12 - the rest was paid by the insurance company (Belgian Mutuelle - annual cost €150 for myself end my three kids)
- My wife had an MRI a couple of months ago - €250 (was at a private hospital, so more expensive), 85% refunded by her work insurance
- Scintigraphy scan was a bit more expensive a €500 (same private hospital), 85% reimbursed
- One of our kids has to have her wisdom teeth out - €4500 for the whole deal, general anaesthetic, operation, private room, etc. Will be fully reimbursed

CT scan had a three week wait. MRI and scintigraphy was almost next-day. Wisdom teeth, three days for the initial consultation, operation planned beginning May.

As Europeans we have freedom of movement and we're wondering where to retire - sunny Spain, Provence, Tuscany? Well we're seriously thinking to stay in Belgium because the heath-care is so good!

Some data-points for Belgium...

- I had a Heart CT Scan a year back, I paid €12 - the rest was paid by the insurance company (Belgian Mutuelle - annual cost €150 for myself end my three kids)
- My wife had an MRI a couple of months ago - €250 (was at a private hospital, so more expensive), 85% refunded by her work insurance
- Scintigraphy scan was a bit more expensive a €500 (same private hospital), 85% reimbursed
- One of our kids has to have her wisdom teeth out - €4500 for the whole deal, general anaesthetic, operation, private room, etc. Will be fully reimbursed

CT scan had a three week wait. MRI and scintigraphy was almost next-day. Wisdom teeth, three days for the initial consultation, operation planned beginning May.

As Europeans we have freedom of movement and we're wondering where to retire - sunny Spain, Provence, Tuscany? Well we're seriously thinking to stay in Belgium because the heath-care is so good!

Do you know cost of a procedure upfront? Are there any unexpected charges from time to time? Do you have to wait weeks for a procedure?

And last question :) when you retire you will not have employers insurance - do you buy your own policy and for how much?

I take back my comment that India's premium car market is too small for Tesla to bother. There are more millionaires in Mumbai than the population of Iceland ;)

Although Iceland presents some challenges to due its extreme weather, I still expect the India to represent a higher burden in terms of required service, due to the utterly chaotic traffic. Also the charging infrastructure in India would face some challenges. On the other hand, India thus is a super market for the Tesla combo, the car, the PV panels and the Powerwall.

Sure, but....

skF6KRXsskXkSReOQpHqvjgUxTMuS4Rwktzr3mYehro.PNG

Taxes are just the rent people are paying to be members of one of the most advanced economies on the planet - and taxation on profits is a much better deal than taxation of revenue that other advanced marketplaces use, like Apple Store's 30% tax on revenue.

I.e. it's just money.

Birthright, life time guaranteed, no-lifetime-spending-caps, no-rescission, no-nonsense health care for you and your loved ones, regardless of whether you manage to be employed: priceless.

Most Europeans don't even know that rescission is a thing:

"Rescission is the term used when a health insurance policy is canceled retroactively by an insurance company."​

A few further thoughts I haven't seen mentioned much on Tesla moving to online sales:
  • Removal of store sales significantly reduces the cost and increases speed of entry to new markets. Tesla will still have to initially build a basic presence with delivery centres (but less with home delivery) and service centres (less with service car fleet), and likely also begin work on a supercharger network (which is lower capex with V3), but will not have to put store infrastructure in place.
  • Under the previous business model, Tesla was likely close to pulling the trigger on 50-100 new store openings globally to serve Model 3 rollout. The decision was as much about preventing SG&A inflation and avoiding new hiring as it was about existing cost and headcount reduction.
  • Tesla can now potentially drop legal cases and lobbying efforts over direct sale rights in several states. This was potentially an extremely high annual cost, but I'd like to know if anyone has an estimate for the cost of all of these efforts? Tesla will still likely keep fighting for service centre rights in states where this isn't currently legal.

Perhaps. I keep hearing dealers make most of their money from service, so perhaps there is a middle ground (i.e centralized sales, distributed delivery and service) if both sides are willing to move a bit. The problem is neither side is willing to be flexible right now. It will probably take some kind of hammer to force change.

This is one major reason why Tesla is the sole auto maker that can do OTAs (in the USA), since the other brands are required to let the dealers do every update of the car, even a software one.

Another major reason for Tesla to avoid the dealership hell.

Just a thought -- Elon said Advanced Summon is coming soon and Full Self-Driving by end of 2019, with these capabilities, if you want to look & feel the car and have a test drive, you can just make a reservation thru Tesla App, and the car will drive itself to you from the nearest Tesla service center (just like Advanced Summon), why need physical stores?

Elon said on the call about Closing Stores Sales Online and huge confidence FSD Feature release soon, but he didn't say the connection between the two, I sure hope he said it.

No stores is fine. Delivery centres, not so much. Now probably everyone on this forum, except shorts, watches every video and reads every piece of text they can get ahold of before they take delivery of the car, but I doubt all that many others do. A walkthrough for someone who's only experience with the car is through the ordering website will need a bit of handholding.

A few further thoughts I haven't seen mentioned much on Tesla moving to online sales:
  • Removal of store sales significantly reduces the cost and increases speed of entry to new markets. Tesla will still have to initially build a basic presence with delivery centres (but less with home delivery) and service centres (less with service car fleet), and likely also begin work on a supercharger network (which is lower capex with V3), but will not have to put store infrastructure in place.
  • Under the previous business model, Tesla was likely close to pulling the trigger on 50-100 new store openings globally to serve Model 3 rollout. The decision was as much about preventing SG&A inflation and avoiding new hiring as it was about existing cost and headcount reduction.
  • Tesla can now potentially drop legal cases and lobbying efforts over direct sale rights in several states. This was potentially an extremely high annual cost, but I'd like to know if anyone has an estimate for the cost of all of these efforts? Tesla will still likely keep fighting for service centre rights in states where this isn't currently legal.

Other advantages of Tesla closing most of their retail locations:
  • Tesla can unveil new products without having to fill stores with display and test drive units first.
  • Many Tesla stores as small, they wouldn't be able to display an S, X, 3, Y and Roadster 2. (And definitely not a Semi. :D)
  • There's great retail personnel who are really good at interacting with customers - their talents are probably better utilized in service and delivery centers. (As long as they agree to switch roles.)
  • Major refreshes are easier and less expensive to roll out - Tesla won't have to replace thousands of display and test drive units.

Reactions: j6Lpi429@3j
Just for information, it's going across the BBC news page (UK), about chinese customs placing a ban on improting the tesla model 3, only in the banner at the bottem.

Could be a further dip today if the scares are hitting the UK news which is unusuall for tesla news..

Before christmas i would not have belived the price would be sub 300 with the 35k model 3 and the Y announcement...

BBC has a long history of anti-Tesla bias. They often run article about EV's and FSD, yet fail to mention the market leader, Tesla.

There was a full story on this yesterday evening already, it was the top business story.

It's a very click-baity headline - "Tesla: China suspends customs clearance for Model 3 car" - especially given that in the article it's very clear it's over already: Tesla: China suspends customs clearance

Clearance was held up after Chinese customs discovered misprinted labels on certain Model 3 cars.

It comes just weeks after Tesla began shipping the vehicle to China, which is the world's biggest car market and is key to the company's future.

Tesla said it had "already reached a resolution with Chinese customs".