Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A282AA74-9234-43B9-AFB8-F319279052C0.jpeg
They're using wind and solar in Texas, not producing it. And certainly there's nothing in the pipeline to replace the % of state revenue that comes from the oil industry. And then there's the inevitable massive real estate crashes. Houston won't even exist. That's a lot of economic activity and state revenue too.

A quick google and I'm seeing fiscal 2019 was $57.9B in general revenue, $5.6B oil & gas extraction tax. What happens to the $34B in sales tax revenue when oil & gas doesn't employ anyone in Texas?

And all these figures are up 7-17% year-over-year because oil & gas grew so much and the low-tax state attracted people. That all changes pretty much right now.

These are similar to us talking about self driving semi's saving the world when 60% of high school educated males in America making a reasonable wage are truck drivers. We're creating problems no one seems prepared to acknowledge, let alone address.

The largest residential solar system, I ever inspected, was at the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia’s home in Beverly Hills.

It struck me odd, that someone sitting on 70% of world’s known oil reserves would install solar.

One of those things, that make you say hmmm...

Last edited:
Model X estimate is 8-12 weeks in CA as well. Interesting.

The fanboy in me wants to endlessly speculate that this is something to do with a refresh. Walking through a few points:

1: Plaid version will have the Structural Pack made from 4680's, and more motors. The necessary redesign of the floorpan facilitates the return of the rear-facing seats with more room than before.

2: Tesla will NOT produce two versions of the Model S simultaneously, in other words, all production will switch away from 18650 to the 4680 Structural Pack.

3: non-Plaid version of refreshed Model S will have more range than Plaid, but that's the only advantage.

4: when will the non-Plaid refreshed version go on sale?

5) how does the Model X fit into all this? To say that the current Model S+X are both "generation 2" vehicles - well, that's true for the drivetrains, but everything above that is different. Model X began deliveries at end of 2015... IMO doesn't really need a major interior or exterior refresh, and certainly not to allow for more space in the rear. There is nothing to stop them from upgrading the Model S floorpan, but leaving the Model X to use 18650 doesn't make a lot of sense, since a) needs more space at the factory to do that and b) 4680 is frikkin' cool and everything should have it, c) the Model X outsells the Model S since it's an SUV. And it's the flagship in some ways. I'm happy to be wrong about a Model X refresh. Another observation is that Tesla's design department has basically "sped up" over the last few years. I was genuinely impressed that they were able to reveal two brand-new models on the same day - that is a tax on your design department, unless they have grown and sped up. And that was 3 years ago. Since then they have created only the Model Y, borrowing many existing Model 3 parts. Perhaps they can redesign both S and X and launch both body refreshes simultaneously. This certainly saves a lot of assembly line headaches - bye bye 18650 at Fremont, hello mature large car company that can do major refreshes to more than one model simultaneously.

SO -

After a trickle of old-style Model S+X deliveries through much of Q1 2021, Tesla will reveal and begin to deliver the new (and probably only slightly altered exterior) Model S+X, both with 4680 Structural Packs a Long Range version and a Performance version which is basically an "unlocked Long Range" sort of thing whose motors draw more current. Maybe even a software upgrade will be able to uncork it. Later in 2021... the 3-motor Plaid is revealed. As usual, X wan't go as far or accelerate as fast as S, because... physics. Also there will be a Plaid Model X revealed at the same time as the S, but you cannot order a Plaid X today for Osborning reasons; they have confined the Osborne Effect to Model S for now. We could even say that Tesla would have preferred to say nothing about the Plaid S at Battery Day, but their hand had already been played earlier in the year.

Additional notes: perhaps Tesla said "late 2021" for deliveries of Plaid Model S+X because, on the day of Battery Day, they simply did not know how much time it was going to take to solve 4680 production issues. If things go badly, they can begin deliveries on time - late 2021. But if things go better than badly, or even, "well," they might be able to move ahead with Plaid deliveries earlier in the year - something no-one will criticise them for. Perhaps the signs are pointing towards that. (I love confirmation bias /sarcasm)

We should look for clues like "downtime at the factory" or "reduced numbers of employee cars in the parking lot" and those other clues that indicate switchovers like Twitter posts from @greentheonly. Finally... if the Structural Pack is everything I understand it's supposed to be, there could be cast pieces at front and rear of the battery for the new S+X. Perhaps our drone pilots look for different shapes getting cast?

The fanboy in me wants to endlessly speculate that this is something to do with a refresh. Walking through a few points:

1: Plaid version will have the Structural Pack made from 4680's, and more motors. The necessary redesign of the floorpan facilitates the return of the rear-facing seats with more room than before.

2: Tesla will NOT produce two versions of the Model S simultaneously, in other words, all production will switch away from 18650 to the 4680 Structural Pack.

3: non-Plaid version of refreshed Model S will have more range than Plaid, but that's the only advantage.

4: when will the non-Plaid refreshed version go on sale?

5) how does the Model X fit into all this? To say that the current Model S+X are both "generation 2" vehicles - well, that's true for the drivetrains, but everything above that is different. Model X began deliveries at end of 2015... IMO doesn't really need a major interior or exterior refresh, and certainly not to allow for more space in the rear. There is nothing to stop them from upgrading the Model S floorpan, but leaving the Model X to use 18650 doesn't make a lot of sense, since a) needs more space at the factory to do that and b) 4680 is frikkin' cool and everything should have it, c) the Model X outsells the Model S since it's an SUV. And it's the flagship in some ways. I'm happy to be wrong about a Model X refresh. Another observation is that Tesla's design department has basically "sped up" over the last few years. I was genuinely impressed that they were able to reveal two brand-new models on the same day - that is a tax on your design department, unless they have grown and sped up. And that was 3 years ago. Since then they have created only the Model Y, borrowing many existing Model 3 parts. Perhaps they can redesign both S and X and launch both body refreshes simultaneously. This certainly saves a lot of assembly line headaches - bye bye 18650 at Fremont, hello mature large car company that can do major refreshes to more than one model simultaneously.

SO -

After a trickle of old-style Model S+X deliveries through much of Q1 2021, Tesla will reveal and begin to deliver the new (and probably only slightly altered exterior) Model S+X, both with 4680 Structural Packs a Long Range version and a Performance version which is basically an "unlocked Long Range" sort of thing whose motors draw more current. Maybe even a software upgrade will be able to uncork it. Later in 2021... the 3-motor Plaid is revealed. As usual, X wan't go as far or accelerate as fast as S, because... physics. Also there will be a Plaid Model X revealed at the same time as the S, but you cannot order a Plaid X today for Osborning reasons; they have confined the Osborne Effect to Model S for now. We could even say that Tesla would have preferred to say nothing about the Plaid S at Battery Day, but their hand had already been played earlier in the year.

Additional notes: perhaps Tesla said "late 2021" for deliveries of Plaid Model S+X because, on the day of Battery Day, they simply did not know how much time it was going to take to solve 4680 production issues. If things go badly, they can begin deliveries on time - late 2021. But if things go better than badly, or even, "well," they might be able to move ahead with Plaid deliveries earlier in the year - something no-one will criticise them for. Perhaps the signs are pointing towards that. (I love confirmation bias /sarcasm)

We should look for clues like "downtime at the factory" or "reduced numbers of employee cars in the parking lot" and those other clues that indicate switchovers like Twitter posts from @greentheonly. Finally... if the Structural Pack is everything I understand it's supposed to be, there could be cast pieces at front and rear of the battery for the new S+X. Perhaps our drone pilots look for different shapes getting cast?
Just helped a friend from Texas place an order for Model S
Wait time 8-12 weeks for delivery .

This is totally false. Texas has very large wind farms and almost all the new power scheduled to be coming online is solar.
Sorry, I was definitely not clear enough in my initial post. My pint was that yes, Texas uses a TON of wind and solar, but that does nothing to fill the state tax revenue gap created by the end of profitable oil & gas production. Texas will definitely be the first big state to 100% wind/solar+storage, far ahead of CA.

I just think people flocking to this tax and regulation free oasis need to account for the fact that what's made that possible for the last 70 years ended some time last fall. The banks, and really everyone, are done funneling money into fracking. The decline in economic activity will be massive. The decline in tax revenue will be even more massive.

People like Abbott can spout off about low taxes only because TX is a massive source of US oil & gas. That faucet is now about to close. I don't think they can simply "adapt" with a few tweaks and keep things the same. Their public school funding is probably crap. That's fine because half the state is probably in some kind of private christian school. Are all these CA people sending their kind there or the soon to be bankrupt public system?

People like Abbott can spout off about low taxes only because TX is a massive source of US oil & gas. That faucet is now about to close. I don't think they can simply "adapt" with a few tweaks and keep things the same. Their public school funding is probably crap. That's fine because half the state is probably in some kind of private christian school. Are all these CA people sending their kind there or the soon to be bankrupt public system?

What does this have to do with Tesla

After about a year of silence I just received this regarding the order I placed for solar panels and a Powerwall. I guess it means they aren't anywhere near catching up to demand for the foreseeable future.

Hello,

Thank you for placing an order for a Tesla energy product. Because we are not yet installing in your area, we will refund your order deposit but will keep your order active and continue our efforts to fulfill your request, sharing timeline updates as they become available.

We understand that with this news you may prefer to cancel your reservation entirely. If that is the case, we kindly guide you to do so via your Tesla Account. Upon login, please click, “View Order Details” and follow the prompts.

We look forward to ongoing communication and being your renewable energy provider in the future.

Regards,

Your Tesla Energy Order Team

Energy Order Team | Tesla

Sorry, I was definitely not clear enough in my initial post. My pint was that yes, Texas uses a TON of wind and solar, but that does nothing to fill the state tax revenue gap created by the end of profitable oil & gas production. Texas will definitely be the first big state to 100% wind/solar+storage, far ahead of CA.

I just think people flocking to this tax and regulation free oasis need to account for the fact that what's made that possible for the last 70 years ended some time last fall. The banks, and really everyone, are done funneling money into fracking. The decline in economic activity will be massive. The decline in tax revenue will be even more massive.

You just need to stop.

After about a year of silence I just received this regarding the order I placed for solar panels and a Powerwall. I guess it means they aren't anywhere near catching up to demand for the foreseeable future.
Just curious which state you’re in? I placed an order for powerwalls 3 months ago and haven’t heard much. I’m in concord California; near Fremont.

I’ve spent every spare penny buying TSLA and currently paying off a model X and a model 3. I’ve got a cybertruck coming too...also being financed because I don’t wanna sell any shares yet; maybe after another 2x? Part of me hopes they can’t fulfill my order for a while. But the local power outages are becoming more of a regular thing lately.

Somethings gotta give. Thinking about starting a local (TA) tesla anonymous group.

Just curious which state you’re in? I placed an order for powerwalls 3 months ago and haven’t heard much. I’m in concord California; near Fremont.

I’ve spent every spare penny buying TSLA and currently paying off a model X and a model 3. I’ve got a cybertruck coming too...also being financed because I don’t wanna sell any shares yet; maybe after another 2x? Part of me hopes they can’t fulfill my order for a while. But the local power outages are becoming more of a regular thing lately.

Somethings gotta give. Thinking about starting a local (TA) tesla anonymous group.
If you click/touch his user name you can see he is in Central New York (Syracuse/Rochester). Not far from Giga NY (Buffalo).

I just wanted y'all to know how I single-handedly kept the close above 600 today. The reasoning behind this successful strategy is logical, rational, and is unlikely to be rebutted.

I placed a limit order for 10 shares at $600 shortly after that deepest dip today, expecting the SP to dip again over the next couple of hours.

It didn't dip, and the order closed out unfilled at the end of the day.

Now, I've decided to hold on to this dry powder to top off the Roth in the new year instead. No idea how this will affect the stock price between now and then. I can only hope that this choice may result in my only being able to buy one or two shares instead of ten. :rolleyes:

Taking one for the team. :D

I'm in a similar situation and figuring out what to do is harder than it sounds. I could sell today and retire decades before the average person, with a few conservative assumptions....

For me, figuring it out is easy. Here is the decision tree:

Do you need cash now?
--No. Then HODL Tesla shares.
--Yes. Then borrow cash and HODL Tesla shares.

I suspect that folks tempted to sell shares now are forgetting two facts:

1) This company is historic. There has never been anything like it, with a combination of...
  • genius, workaholic, polymath CEO
  • global braintrust of top-1% engineering talent
  • corporate mission and other incentives attracting more top talent
  • corporate culture driving rapid relentless innovation and improvements
  • multiple, huge, accelerating technology leads
  • vertical integration and talent/tech sharing with rocket geniuses
  • gargantuan addressable markets (global transportation and energy)
  • vast untapped or barely tapped market segments (robotaxis, trucking, solar roofs, virtual power-plants)
  • vast untapped or barely tapped market regions (China, India, South America, Middle East, Africa)
  • doubling product line in the next few years (Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster2, "world cars")
  • doubling (or more) production capacity in the next few years (Giga Shanghai, Berlin, Austin)
  • unlimited future opportunities for the engineering braintrust (home HVAC, air and underground transport, on Earth and Mars)
  • fanatical, evangelical, exponentially growing customer base
  • unprecedented social tailwinds (accelerating climate change, growing government incentives)
Bears scoff at the current stock price and the idea that it will 10x again. "That would be a $6 trillion market cap! When has that ever happened?!" Well, several times in history, adjusted for inflation. But Tesla is making history.

2) This stock has turned a corner. HODLers endured 5 years of price stagnation and some gut-wrenching drops. Some folks might be traumatized and think the stock is still risky. But TSLA's future will not be like the past, because...
  • major index inclusions are incoming (S&P 500 and 100)
  • bond rating upgrades are incoming (if the raters want to be taken seriously)
  • at least 15% of available shares are disappearing permanently into index funds
  • up to 22% of available shares are disappearing likely permanently into benchmarked funds
  • FUD will have no or little effect on those shareholders
  • clueless or dishonest analysts will have no or little effect on those shareholders
  • Tesla's "fortress balance sheet" now has $20 billion in cash
  • all bear theses (unprofitability, inexperience, no demand, competition) have been discredited except excessive valuation
  • this last bear thesis will be discredited by the imminent FSD rollout, blowout Q4 earnings, and new products and production capacity coming next year
  • Tesla is now sandbagging their guidance to consistently beat expectations
FUD and abusive analysts will continue, but clearly they are losing effect. Volatility may continue, but so will the upward trend. The global market is waking up to TSLA. Usually when picking a stock, you must choose between safety and huge potential. TSLA offers both, in my studied opinion.