Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why take Tesla (and all the other car manufacturers going into the space) directly when instead you can focus on a large market that isn't served by any major players currently? Would Apple want to see a flaming wreck when somebody drove on of their cars into a wall at 200mph?

True, but you have a more active imagination than I do if you think an Apple car could go that fast! ;)

Seriously though, all this talk of Apple potentially being the competition is so misguided I can barely believe the conversation is actually taking place. Tesla's moat is being able to manufacture EV's at lower cost than anyone else. And the products are better. Apple can't change that by putting the Apple name on it. This lead is growing, not shrinking. If Apple has to hire a contract manufacturer it introduces another layer of inefficiency. The products could not compete with Tesla if they came straight from the contract manufacturer, let alone with Apple adding in the extra layer of themselves.

I'm invested in Tesla because they are focused like a laser on being able to make better cars cheaper. Unless something fundamental inside the company changes, no one, and I mean no one, will be able to stop them from selling everyone they can make. They have higher margins than anyone else and the eventual reduction in emissions credits does nothing to dent their lead in margins on EV's. Here's why:

Legacy manufacturer's today avoid having to buy emissions credits from Tesla to the extent they can make enough zero emissions vehicles of their own. That's why they are are willing to sell their EV's at break-even or a loss. If not for this, cars like the Leaf and the Bolt would cost even more than than they do. So, when they make enough EV's to not need the credits, they will need to sell the EV's for a profit. The emissions credits are a wash. When they go away Tesla will still retain their margin advantage over the competitors. While it's currently true that the credits help EV's be more competitive with ICE, they do not give Tesla any advantage when it comes to margins on EV's from competitors, not even competitors who make ICE cars and have to buy credits from Tesla or others.

Last edited:
Beer's my only vice, otherwise I avoid sugar, grains and industrial seed-oils, mostly carnivore (other than the beer) = lots of saturated fat. I lift weights a bit, walk plenty, cycle, etc. I close all three rings on my Apple Watch most of the time (set at 1000 calorie active burn and 60 minutes exercise).

Have been overdoing it with the booze though since the first C19 lock-down, I'm around 5kgs heavier than I was, and it's mostly fat, unfortunately, I was in much better shape before.

Will likely take a break in January as I did last year...
Ahh, that explains a lot, including why my exposure in short shorts sports a beer belly that you really don't want to see show up as my avatar. Hint hint. I'll make you a deal... o_O

Just kidding, we love seeing and having you here, in all your glory. Thanks to you and everyone on this TMC forum, for all that I have received from this ray of bright sunshine in what has been otherwise a bleak and abysmal year.
Here's to 2021, and may it bring the sun out from behind the clouds, and shine away all that has darkened this lovely earth, and its many struggling inhabitants. :cool:

Maybe he didn’t have sufficient credit credibility to get financing. Both my spouse and I had to have parents co-sign leases/loans when we bought our first brand new vehicles back in the day even though we both had full time jobs. Financial institutions back then required a person to prove they were ‘good for it’ via historical data that you couldn’t acquire unless given a chance. In fact, we used to complain that you couldn’t get credit when you needed it, while credit would be thrown at you when you didn’t need it.

I also want to remind people that some humans simply don’t like ‘owing’ others. That we were raised to pay right away for stuff we wanted. Yes, the mountain was paid for in cash and now it’s mine. Not owned by a financial institution collecting a fee. Mine. No potential black disaster can make it less so. There’s something to be said for outright ownership of everything in my possession.
I think the story given was that he had found some way to invest in SpaceX. Had to come up with $250k for those shares and didn't have enough cash when it was time to pay for the car.

At least that's what he said at the time. I've stopped watching his videos since. A bit to much enthusiasm and not enough fact checking.

Still not a smart move as it's looking now since Tesla is up much more than we can presume SpaceX is.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA a thirty year old wanting to "not owe anything"!?!?!?!?!? hahahaha Gali really doesn't seem like an old tightwad like you....and me.
But still, the guy plays with numbers. Supposedly he has some education in finance. Even I would use my TSLA stock for a loan for a Tesla.

One likely possibility is to maintain one's credit rating before a large pending purchase. If you make your living as a trader (and YouTuber!) you might be living a modest lifestyle as far as taxable income will show. When you want to qualify for a large loan it's best that your DTI isn't lopsided, and mortgage loan rates are influenced by recent loan activity.
Conclusion: Gali's getting a house in '21!

1/2 way there. We need it driving Kim home, plastered, with no interventions and no accidents.
I call it a straight-up, stand by itself WIN! As long as you can get there the rest doesn't matter.
Sidebar: Back when I worked the ER we had a homeless "Listerine Annie" that was a frequent boarder due to Someone calling EMS every time they saw a female passed out behind the dumpster of the Local Walgreen's Drug store. yep. She'd shoplift a couple of big bottles of Listerine because the wine section was watched. And then make it as far as the dumpster before she'd sit down and polish them off.
after a few visits she quit showing up. We had thought she might have gotten help. We were wrong. The EMS crew informed us she was banned from the local Walgreen's so she shift over to the next suburb, and therefore was taken to another ER.

I think that I've developed a tic from @Lycanthrope sharing that... uh umm "view". I am just very thankful that the Tesla version of "short shorts" are much more substantial than the more common "consumer" version that co-eds wear.

PSA: A strip of file folder attached to the left side of your monitor, covering the avatars, helps immensely. ;)
Did he take it down yet? @Lycanthrope has been on my ignore all day. It was distracting.
This is what I don't get; with all the beer and imbibables you appear to consume, how do you ever maintain that girlishly slim figure of yours?o_O
(Maybe that will compel him to change his avatar? :eek: ;))
Is it still up? He is on ignore past few days. Was a distraction.

I have to assume people are buying TSLA as last minute gifts for friends and family. ;)

Anyone looking at stock here? I'm up this today... dont know about the reast of you. Still talking Apple?
I had considered playing with options this morning but said F it and just relaxed. Casually checked the stock and I was surprised what I saw.

The TSLA chart of the last 10 days shows a nice upward trajectory, S&P500 addition bounce-and-fall appears to have been absorbed

This is the imminent buying pressure I spoke of last weekend. I haven't seen a catalyst strong enough to propel us solidly past $695 yet but I suspect it's coming sooner rather than later!

The mood here has been rather subdued and even negative with a low volume of informative posts or insightful analysis. I believe it's due to excessive speculation that has cause people's brokerage balances to decline substantially. I don't think it's a good idea to place speculative bets on TSLA's immediate upside or, conversely, to doubt their long-term value. The former is an unknowable and the latter is more likely than the current share price recognizes.

I have been getting significantly more Tesla shares for my pound over recent weeks than 6 months ago, thanks to the strengthening £ against the $. Don't know what it's like for you in the EU.

Unfortunately I'm needing to convert $ to € these days, so not great, but hey, it's all free money anyway right now, so I can live with it :D

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and H Mak