Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we should have guessed that even the S&P inclusion effect on TSLA is on Elon Musk time. Always deliver slightly later than predicted - but when they do deliver- it exceeds all expectations :D:D:D

I just made the mistake of checking the prices on those Jan 15th 700's I sold when I thought the S&P was "over". :oops:

A9CB53A9-D522-4118-AABB-8142EB451BE4.png

Elon's response is very telling. Money has never been the driver for Musk, only needed as a means to transform transportation with sustainable energy and energy storage, and multi-planet space travel and development to preserve the human race. Elon's newfound wealth will likely drive him to work harder, if that is even possible. For those that no longer need to work for a living due to the shared Tesla wealth, lets learn to live for working to make this World a better place.

My personal "irrational exuberance" is tempered by the awareness that the first FSD fatality will cause, depending on egregious factor, an immediate up to 30% drop in SP. It is rational to think it is an inevitability, a certainty once FSD climbs out of beta.
Still, at the moment, the water is fine. My eye is on the 5 year horizon.
SP can't drop on factors that haven't been priced in. If FSD has been priced in, we'd be in the trillions right now.

Here is an interesting paper by Bent Flyvbjerg at Oxford, which describes successful methods of completing megaprojects on time and budget. His observation is that megaprojects (such as the Olympics and infrastructure projects) rarely are on time and/or budget. Most often, they are wildly off on both accounts in an unbounded manner. He uses GF1 as an example of a megaproject that is successful because it is:

(1) modular (the factory is broken into "blocks");
(2) replicable (these blocks can be copied as wished); and
(3) done fast (within a year to first production).

Four Ways to Scale Up: Smart, Dumb, Forced, and Fumbled by Bent Flyvbjerg :: SSRN

He doesn't address the constraint that has appeared at GF1 and has brought construction to a halt: the limited labor pool in the Reno area. He also doesn't address what Tesla is doing at Shanghai, Berlin, and Austin for auto manufacturing. For us as investors, it seems important to note that factory construction on such a scale could easily kill the company because of the unbounded time and expense. Semiconductor manufacturing and nuclear power plants are two examples that come to mind. Accordingly, most companies in the modern business world have been taught to run away from these types of projects.

On the flip side, when completed successfully, these factories can become tremendously rare assets of the type that nobody else has and can have. Crown jewels. A key innovation in this respect has been bringing these factories online on a limited basis in about a year. We can know how successful Tesla will be well into the future by watching how fast it is bringing these factories to first production.

Maybe we are misinterpreting Musk slightly when he says that manufacturing will become the key strength of Tesla in the future. I always interpreted that to refer to a mechanical engineering process. But perhaps it is as much a matter of construction methods: modular, in short phases, done fast. To build a factory of the likes of Berlin (2 million vehicles per annum) would kill any other company very quickly. And Tesla has three of those types of builds going right now.

Ha! Got it just right for the first time! My work for the day is complete!

Days like today make it so hard to even get out of bed. When you have made 4X your yearly salary before getting out of bed, the motivation for work is so so low.

Now I wish I had not sold off and closed all the OTM calls for 15Jan. I too thought the S&P inclusion bump was done. But, I used the money to buy LEAPS, so not too badly off.

We have to hang out around $800 for at least an hour to give THEM the chance to buy back their 800 strike Calls. They bought back most of the $750 strike Calls yesterday. They probably wrapped the rest of those up this morning. Now they are working on convincing people they really don't want to hold onto the $800 strike Calls either, "Much nicer to just take the cash now. See how it hit $800 and bumped it's head.... you want to take your profits on the $800 Calls now!"
We shall see how that sales pitch works out tomorrow morning.

TSLA 01-08ey 07THUR.png