Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Benzinga - this afternoon: Here's How Americans Are Spending Their Stimulus Payments

Excerpt:

A recent Benzinga sentiment survey also found that many Americans are investing their stimulus checks. Electric vehicle stocks like Tesla Inc and Nio Inc were among the most popular investments. Coronavirus vaccine stocks like Moderna Inc and Pfizer Inc were also among the most popular investments.

Benzinga - this afternoon: Here's How Americans Are Spending Their Stimulus Payments

Excerpt:

A recent Benzinga sentiment survey also found that many Americans are investing their stimulus checks. Electric vehicle stocks like Tesla Inc and Nio Inc were among the most popular investments. Coronavirus vaccine stocks like Moderna Inc and Pfizer Inc were also among the most popular investments.

90A7BF46-B6AE-4CE6-A462-1671B9170BC5.jpeg

Short Sunday observations:

1. After watching a few FSD 10 (which is really FSD 9) videos, drivers seem to be fairly convinced this is a significant step forward, particularly with unprotected left turns.

If you consider the build date of 2020.48.x.x (approximately the beginning of December), that would be around the time that tester’s focus seemed to be shifting to FSD’s failures with unprotected left turns...and this build is better with those scenarios.

I conclude from this that the FSD team is doing about 6 weeks of internal testing before releasing to the beta team. So we should expect Tesla’s bleeding edge code to be that much better than the current public build.

2. Based on the battery manufacturing clips that Tesla has released, methinks the 4680 process is further along than Tesla is letting on. It may not have all pieces of the new battery puzzle yet (like dry electrode), but IMO this lends more credence to the belief that the S refresh will have 4680s.

Song from the Battery video is "Honey Bee" By Don Hinton

Here are the lyrics

Well baby won't you believe me my honey baby
For you know you were only meant for me
I say mmm I love you so

I want you and I need you honey
Just to kiss you baby I'd walk a million miles
I say mmm I love you so

You gave me a charge and it felt so fine
Shivering up right through my spine
For you I would take an ocean trip
For you're the little girl that makes my heart flip

I say mmm I love you so
Yeah

You gave me a charge and it felt fine
Shivering up right through my spine
For you I would take an ocean trip
For you're the little girl that makes my heart flip

I say mmm
I love you so
I say mmm
I love you so
I say mmm
I love you so
I say mmm
I love you so

2. Based on the battery manufacturing clips that Tesla has released, methinks the 4680 process is further along than Tesla is letting on. It may not have all pieces of the new battery puzzle yet (like dry electrode), but IMO this lends more credence to the belief that the S refresh will have 4680s.

The 4680 issue was yield on the DBE process. last thing Elon said was they were making some progress.
As this is so critical, Tesla will stick at it, we can see they are still making improvements to the line.

I agree it is likely the Plaid Model S will have a 4680 structural pack and castings, that is probably why Plaid Model S is further delayed.
There are 2 areas where we are not sure progress allows a Model S/X with 4680s and castings.
  1. We don't know if the 4680 production run rate and yield are high enough.
  2. We don't who how or where they will make the castings, Fremont would probably involve problematic mold swapping.

I would not be entirely surprised if Tesla has done something funky like install casting machines for Model S/X at Lathrop, however that isn't very likely.

Last edited:
a million miles

Something which I have been wondering about is the silicon in the anode.

That solves a 'Lithium Plating' issue allowing faster charging, I'm not sure if 'Lithium Plating' is ;'Dendrites'.

Although possible degradation of the silicon could shorten battery life, if the silicon helps prevent Dendrites that might increase battery life.

Hopefully The Limiting Factor will address this, in one of his videos.

If v.10 is this good, just think about v.30 (or so) this time next year.
Just imagine after the wide release how much data will be uploaded, each iteration after will have so many more edge cases. With operation vacation most of the labeling can probably be done fully automatic by using the future to label the dataset. No need to harm any engineers in the process if everything is set up correctly!