Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon finally confirms what we all suspected:

em-tweet.gif

The one thing I take away from any podcast or interview with Elon is this.

He is an extraordinary human being.
Different than most .....refreshingly honest.

He may not flip each and every switch for you or me. But the world is in dire need of more people like him.

The combination of intellectual curiosity and honesty is truly rare.

He may not flip each and every switch for you or me. But the world is in dire need of more people like him.

As a smart guy who prides himself on having a wide breadth of knowledge on many topics (at the sacrifice of depth) I can really appreciate just how much he knows and understands. It’s something unique.

Everyone should be happy that he didn’t get high this time.

Technically, he didn’t get high last time either. ;)

Unrelated to the new interview, deja vu is strengthening here. I don’t see dead people but I do see repetitive patterns. Too bad it’s so difficult for a segment of the population to recognize them and correct their behavior. Still so disappointed in the human race.

As a smart guy who prides himself on having a wide breadth of knowledge on many topics (at the sacrifice of depth) I can really appreciate just how much he knows and understands. It’s something unique.

Indeed, Elon is one of those people that you can put into a room with ten world-class experts on various subjects and he'll be up there with them all - an amazing capacity for absorbing knowledge, retaining, rethinking and applying.

Last edited:
If they reduce the internal resistance of the pack, they improve efficiency (both driving and charging).
If they reduce the amount of energy needed to cool the pack, they improve efficiency,
The tabless design does both of these.
Agreed, but the amount of efficiency to be gained in those areas is not "blow it out of the water" type gains:

3H711aO.png

Short interest decreased from the period 01/15/2021 (share price $826) to 01/131/2021 (share price $794).
The short amount also decreased in this period.
The shares outstanding and public float increased.
  • Shares shorted from 56.370.000 to 52.380.000
  • Float shorted from 7,47% to 6,82%
  • Amount shorted from $46.561.620.400,00 to $41.565.101.400,00
  • Shares outstanding from 947.900.000,00 to 959.850.000,00
  • Public float from 758.280.000 to 767.840.000
And meanwhile, for more than three years now, I am slowly accumulating more shares.

View attachment 636072

Someone please explain this as though to a five year old. Should I be panicking? I mean any more than normal.

He's been gradually disappearing deeper down right-wing alt-science and junk conspiracy rabbit holes. It's very sad to see in real time. Go ahead and throw more disagrees but it's absolutely true. Treating the man like an infallible god is childish and counter-productive.

i think my posting history speaks for itself regarding how bullish i am on Tesla as a company and its products. I also think Elon's accomplished an astounding number of incredible achievements. He's obviously a very smart guy, too. Not just a product of "right place right time", luck, or inherited privilege. He's a bona fide once-in-a-lifetime entrepreneur, and for a CEO he is incredibly sharp on the technical details of his companies' products and problems.

However, I also think the biggest threat to Tesla's future is Elon pushing the company to make billion dollar bets on shaky alt-right impulses. Impulses like incorrectly claiming that COVID was a hoax, or speculating that Bitcoin is the future of all money. Is the justification for investing in Bitcoin going to portend a subtle pivot of Tesla's mission, downplaying the dangers of climate change as well?

There is also him conspicuously taking potshots at the Onion and promoting the eternally cringey (and coincidentally right-leaning) Babylon Bee instead, whining about "cancel culture" and pronouns for no good reason. These things don't affect the company in any way, but they are symptoms of the same disease. They reaffirm the kind of trash voices that have his ear at the moment, and it is definitely not reassuring to me as an investor.
Stop watching CNN and MSNBC, Fox also. MSM is garbage.

Agreed, but the amount of efficiency to be gained in those areas is not "blow it out of the water" type gains:

3H711aO.png

That is seriously impressive.

A good ICE is about 25% thermally efficient even before it turns a wheel. That means that every fill of the tank 3/4 of the fuel may as well just fall straight out again.

The M3 on the other hand: wow. As you say, not much scope for huge improvements there. Still, every little counts.

Note that the combination of EV/FSD/Gigafactories will eat the world by 2040, Mars in the next Century, the Solar System this Millenium, the Galaxy in 100K yrs, the local Group in 1M years, and the visible Universe in 1B years. BTW, that's a shorter timespan than there's been multicellular life on Earth (a paltry 600M years). Amateurs! :p

Elon told Joe Rogan that 'even with no new physics you absolutely could colonize the whole galaxy, even some of the neighboring galaxies, in a million years'.

Joe Rogan clip | on Youtube​

"Think Big. Do Big Things. Bring the Light." :cool:

Cheers!

We have bounced off the lower BB a couple of times the past few days.

We should prepare for a possible test of the 50 DMA. This is around 750. Hard to imagine that happening next week with supposed green plans coming out of WH, but that is how corrections strike. Like the Spanish Inquisition.

Think what we have here mostly is a buyers strike. The momos, shorts and MMs see this and feed the fire. Also the macros the past few days have actually sucked. Plenty of stocks getting trimmed outside of the headline stories.

Getting back to the buyers, they want better prices and the FOMO buyers have temporarily bailed as they always do.

Funny, sold a bunch of longer term CCs the past couple of months and was resigned to parting with some long term stock, but it suddenly appears that may not be the case.

My guess is that Elon is probably optimizing the thrusters for cornering rather than straight-line acceleration. He's probably aiming to make a car that can beat the all-time Nordschleife lap time by maybe 30 seconds or so. With a production car. When you can take the sharpest turn on the 'ring at 140 MPH the hardest part will be keeping the driver from passing out.:oops:
Easy solution, remove the driver... I'm betting on the red car from Tesla!
Driverless racing coming soon...

He's been gradually disappearing deeper down right-wing alt-science and junk conspiracy rabbit holes. It's very sad to see in real time. Go ahead and throw more disagrees but it's absolutely true. Treating the man like an infallible god is childish and counter-productive.

i think my posting history speaks for itself regarding how bullish i am on Tesla as a company and its products. I also think Elon's accomplished an astounding number of incredible achievements. He's obviously a very smart guy, too. Not just a product of "right place right time", luck, or inherited privilege. He's a bona fide once-in-a-lifetime entrepreneur, and for a CEO he is incredibly sharp on the technical details of his companies' products and problems.

However, I also think the biggest threat to Tesla's future is Elon pushing the company to make billion dollar bets on shaky alt-right impulses. Impulses like incorrectly claiming that COVID was a hoax, or speculating that Bitcoin is the future of all money. Is the justification for investing in Bitcoin going to portend a subtle pivot of Tesla's mission, downplaying the dangers of climate change as well?

There is also him conspicuously taking potshots at the Onion and promoting the eternally cringey (and coincidentally right-leaning) Babylon Bee instead, whining about "cancel culture" and pronouns for no good reason. These things don't affect the company in any way, but they are symptoms of the same disease. They reaffirm the kind of trash voices that have his ear at the moment, and it is definitely not reassuring to me as an investor.

What alt-right impulses has he bet the company on?

Think your reaction here is beyond extreme. Just as there is an alt-right, I would argue there is an equally dangerous alt-left that prides itself on severe public shaming and outrage for someone saying even anything they slightly disagree with.

You won't even be able to run that at the drag strip. lol. Anything that hits over 150 requires a parachute. Yes please.
Seeing as NASA rained on SpaceX's plans to dispense with chutes and use retro-propulsive landing for their capsules, "as a modern 21st spacecraft should", instead perhaps we'll have the Roadster decelerating with a front thruster as a modern thruster augmented sports car should!

Last edited:
Roadster with short hovering ability will be very useful, but I wish it would be an option for all the cars.
Seems like it would be very useful for the cybertruck too.

Ability to fly smoothly over speed bumps, pot holes, cattle guards.

Ability to do a 180 turn at the end of my driveway so I don't have to back out or do multi-point turn.

Parallel park instantly by moving sideways into a spot.
This needs to be called "Air Hockey Puck" mode.