Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that you are breaking down the supply by OEM and supplier, you may want to consider a mosaic chart (Mosaic plot - Wikipedia). This would make is easier to see how for example LG is a key supplier to each OEM and how that fraction from LG varies by client.

jhm, My previous answer to you was incorrect. My apologies. I now appreciate there is a difference between a Mosaic chart and a Navajo blanket chart. The mosaic plot is not specifically catered for in excel but as usual Peltier covers how to create one at Marimekko Charts - Peltier Tech Blog where it seems they are also called Marimekko charts, so both have alternate textile names :) I will have a look at this further if I get time. Once again my apologies.

It yells inflation at us (pun intended).
Look at the countries that printed money in abundance and see what happened.
Enough other examples in history (and nowadays).
For me one more motivation to HODL.
At some time it will be necessary for fed to increase interest rates and it will crash stock market, I believe.

There might be a huge bubble on stock markets

Buffett Indicator Shows Stock Market is Overvalued
The only problem I see here is that Buffet indicator is undervaluing the leveraging of profits and equity shift that could be triggered by disruptive technologies from AI/computing power/automation.

But I believe he is right at some point all the money flew in the stock market because there are no other profitable options to hedge against currency depreciation.

It yells inflation at us (pun intended).
Look at the countries that printed money in abundance and see what happened.
Enough other examples in history (and nowadays).
For me one more motivation to HODL.
Money is just a digital number. The worth of a country's money is not tied to anything besides its desirability of its good and services. As long as the country keep producing goods and services that is desirable, like new technology from Tesla and Apple, the currency will remains strong. Most country with a currency collapse from money printing was due a massive drop in gdp and a massive increase in money supply. Venezuela is the perfect example.

Money is just a digital number. The worth of a country's money is not tied to anything besides its desirability of its good and services. As long as the country keep producing goods and services that is desirable, like new technology from Tesla and Apple, the currency will remains strong. Most country with a currency collapse from money printing was due a massive drop in gdp and a massive increase in money supply. Venezuela is the perfect example.
But when money supply increases faster than gdp, isn’t it mandatory that it will lead to inflation?

Reactions: kbM3 and Ipe
But when money supply increases faster than gdp, isn’t it mandatory that it will lead to inflation?
Gdp is now being powered by ai and automation. Remember how "we are at our highest productivity but no wage increases" verbiage? Guess money printing is making up for some if that deficit. It's almost like we are secretly moving toward to universal basic income but not.

The crazy thing about the US being the tech center is that we constantly disrupt ourselves. Zoom for example decreased the desirability for oil. Countries relying on oil have their gdp suffer, however the money that funneled out of oil went into our tech companies so nothing much changed except we continue to suck gdp from other nations that are one trick ponies. Tesla is a perfect example at killing Germany's gdp hence they better open their arms wide open for giga Berlin.

Last edited:
Any investor concerned about a Central Bank's affect on the money supply, and upon stock prices, should watch this video. This is the best description of the mechanics of the behind-the-scenes workings of the banking system I have viewed.

TLDW: Fed "money printing" having a relationship with inflation is a misconception.
Ben Felix' channel on YouTube, Common Sense Investing, has other content that investors may find useful. Check it out.

Last edited:
There might be a huge bubble on stock markets

Buffett Indicator Shows Stock Market is Overvalued
Two issues with this “model” from buffet.

- First biggest caps are global so they should show global gdp not US. Also US economy is not as outsized as in past when compared to global large economies.

- Second, interests rates have been lowest historically and have been on downtrend.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster

Seems to me it depends. Right now excess liquidity is going into savings and some chasing equities. Yields are low but ticking up a bit. Real estate is appreciating but not so much in urban areas or commercial. Unemployment is high.

What has happened in the past may not map well into the future where societal changes abound. Social network inspired fear is a newish thing. We don’t know when or if the savings rate comes down. We don’t know if increasing automation and technological efficiency has permanently changed unemployment rates.

If there is a better place than disruptive equities going forward, I don’t see it. Seems to me equity will take a hit if bond rates rise but not all equities equally.

We are possibly facing a time of falling population, diminishing scarcity and falling labor rates where our source of historical reference is weak. Growth becomes rare and the new store of value in my view.

If the Berkshire news is actually real, it will definitely cause a rally in the share price. Anytime Berkshire reveals a stake in a company, that stock rallies just off of that news alone
Berkshire Hathaway, first bought 10M shares of Apple in May 2016 for $232M.
As of September 30th, 2020, BH held 965M shares of Apple currently worth $131B.

So if BH shows they initiated their purchase of Tesla, it will not be a one time event. BH are long term investors and will likely continue to purchase shares going forward at higher costs (similar to their AAPL position which has growth 10X in quantity of shares owned since their original purchase).

We will find out by February 16th if BH now holds Tesla. If not, it is only a matter of time before they do. BH was many years late on Apple. Apple released their orginal iPhone June 2007 and BH waited nine years to get on board. Still BH have done very nicely with Apple, as they will do so with Tesla. It's just a matter of time.

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.05.47 AM.png

Could be but it's only part of the picture. The great nutrient collapse
“We are witnessing the greatest injection of carbohydrates into the biosphere in human history―[an] injection that dilutes other nutrients in our food supply.”
Further discussion if desired should probably take place in the climate thread Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

We have been in a deflationary cycle for a long time. Increases in money supply has not been enough to offset decreases in money velocity. Money supply is not the only thing that determine prices. If you have $1 in the economy that is going back and forth nonstop between all the participants, that $1 in theory can support an unlimited amount of value creation. If you have $2 in the economy that only goes from the employer to the employee and stays there because the employee fears unemployment, health issue, or retirement concerns, that $2 is basically dead money. Extreme example to show you how the people’s willingness to spend money is the bigger driver toward inflation than the money supply. Since the early 2000s people have been saving more and spending less. Yes inflation and the resulting interest hike can crash the market but the world economy is too sick to worry about that. Money printing is not the problem but a solution.
0377A093-52C7-4985-8951-819E4EC0D502.png

An interesting, if long, historical/analytical read on money supply & velocity as it happened in Germany in the 20's and America in the 70's. Especially interesting as it relates to interest rates, politics and taxation.

https://recision.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jens-parsson-dying-of-money-24.pdf

"Money quantity and velocity theoretically could move independently of one another, but in practice they do not. Quantity leads, and velocity follows. At the beginning of an inflationary cycle, velocity declines while money quantity increases, thereby offsetting one another and masking the true inflationary potential. This happened during the wars in both Germany and America. It happened also in Germany's prosperous expansion of 1920. We saw why this happened in our simple example, because money holders were temporarily willing to hold their excess money, slowing down velocity and leaving prices unchanged. Later, in the mid-course of an inflationary cycle, money quantity and velocity both increase, thereby compounding the inflationary effects of one another."

and ...

"Money has a well-known dual function. One function is to serve as a medium of exchange to help match up the sellers and buyers of various kinds of values without the need for exchange in kind, or barter. The other function is to serve as a store of value in itself. The first function is money in motion, the second is money standing still. The only truly legitimate function of money is the first, the exchange function. Without the need for a medium of exchange, there would be no need for money. As stores of value, other kinds of property are just as good or better. Money is not properly a store of value because it has no intrinsic value of its own. It has no utility except in exchange. Money which is being used as a store of value is money which is bars de combat for the time being. Nevertheless, the use of money as a store of value is traditional and can easily be tolerated, provided that it is adjusted for."

Last edited:
What should we think about this? Question is of course not Tesla specific.

View attachment 636335
If 3/7ths of the USD money supply has been printed in 2020 alone, would the real inflation rate of USD fiat currency be 43% rather than the +-2% reported?
It is no wonder that crypto currencies are shining.
Looks like Canada beat US to the punch bowl in offering the first ETF tracking the Bitcoin. Bitcoin has gained prominance due to Elon's endorsement of Bitcoin as a hedge against the dollar, as cited in the article.
First North American bitcoin ETF launching in Canada

At the beginning of an inflationary cycle, velocity declines while money quantity increases, thereby offsetting one another and masking the true inflationary potential. This happened during the wars in both Germany and America. It happened also in Germany's prosperous expansion of 1920. We saw why this happened in our simple example, because money holders were temporarily willing to hold their excess money, slowing down velocity and leaving prices unchanged. Later, in the mid-course of an inflationary cycle, money quantity and velocity both increase, thereby compounding the inflationary effects of one another."

This sounds like what is happening now..

Thank you @dl003 for the velocity of money chart!

EE7D2453-D5D7-45B5-B3B2-2066027D517E.png

C5BE241D-E812-4603-AB8E-6ADEA65CD32F.jpeg

You are way off base latching on to this comment by Elon and making a mountain of misleading BS out of the flat out truth. The fact is, CO2 is good for plants (in the same way that O2 is good for humans). Sure, too much of either is bad but plants can use more CO2 than the natural atmospheric level to grow faster and thrive. Elon said this as a matter of fact (because it is a matter of fact). But you are using it to pretend he has gone off the deep end. Pull yourself together, get real and stop the misleading BS!
Odd that the mods decided my initial response to this attack was "nasty" but have allowed this completely inaccurate screed to remain. Go back and read my actual posts and tell me where I said Elon "has gone off the deep end" or anything close to that. Further, you keep repeating the same simplistic idea that a faster growing plant is better but that is not always the case.
The great nutrient collapse
Nutrition levels will drop as carbon dioxide rises: study
If you wish to have rational discussion on the topic we can continue in the climate thread.

This sounds like what is happening now..

It does seem so ... historically when a government takes on debt to pay bills that cannot be covered by taxation they ultimately handle that debt by inflating the currency. How well they manage & control the resulting inflation makes all the difference in the final outcome.

In the end, inflation is just another form of taxation, one that no one can escape except perhaps people that own real property. As always, the real bag holders are people without real assets.

Last edited: