Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1360697159767711749?s=21

So this is an actual direct communication to Putin himself?

He is inviting Putin to an informal parley?
Putin doesn't discuss anything of importance with someone without a script that is publicly available for anyone to listen. He knows it so most likely just trolling. If anything he wants an open dialog with him just incase people think Elon is secretly giving away classified information.

Come on Elon, bring it back full circle and convert the man ;)

Not Choosing a Tesla Is like Choosing to Ride a Horse Says Elon Musk

A4441F23-16F0-4652-8B61-F31CDFB9DDBE.jpeg

Here is my view on technology and inflation...
  • Clean Energy and Transport - deflationary
  • Robo-taxis - deflationary
  • Robotics - deflationary
  • Innovation - deflationary
  • Bottom up industrial food production - deflationary
  • Likely correction in some market sectors - deflationary
  • General overhang from COVID-19 - deflationary, but may become inflationary.,
  • Climate Change - inflationary
  • Word population - slightly inflationary
  • Medicine and genetics - inflationary
  • Space travel - inflationary
  • Money printing - inflationary, if it exceeds the slow down in the circulation rate, and consumers increase spending.
  • Tech and the internet - neutral, but enables innovation.
If we take out Climate Change the vast bulk of humanity should be better off as food, energy, transport and many consumer goods should be cheaper. The big risk is climate change more than cancels out all these positives.

While medicine and space travel are likely to be inflationary, these are services likely to be consumed by a very small group of the world's population.

We can see Tesla is in a lot of deflationary columns, that translates to growing revenues and market share.

It is also very likely companies and countries are going to increasingly complete very aggressively on innovation, and in most of the categories above, there is still a lot of untapped innovation.

To avoid conflict with China it is best to complete on the grounds of innovation and trade, countries and businesses should seek to innovate and diversify their trading partners.

if I had to sum up the future in a single phrase .. it is likely to be very different to the past.

So if it makes something we already do/use more efficient, it’s deflationary.
If it’s a brand new thing that we feel we now must have/do, it’s inflationary.
Is that your thinking?

Seems clear to me that wiping out the cost of fossil fuels from budgets leads to an economic boom, as per Cathie Woods’ writings. The EV clean-energy revolution funds itself. Musk is spot on to relentlessly attack costs and improve efficiency, both of the cars themselves and the making of them. No other car maker seems to get this - EV after EV with a fraction of the range per kWh of a Tesla.

Seems clear to me that wiping out the cost of fossil fuels from budgets leads to an economic boom, as per Cathie Woods’ writings. The EV clean-energy revolution funds itself. Musk is spot on to relentlessly attack costs and improve efficiency, both of the cars themselves and the making of them. No other car maker seems to get this - EV after EV with a fraction of the range per kWh of a Tesla.

Yes, I agree with that.

Anything that makes things more abundant, cheaper or more efficient, is deflationary.
Solar power is naturally abundant, fossil fuels are limited in resource, and because difficulty in ramping extraction.

I had space travel and genetics as inflationary because they start out expensive and unavailable to the majority of the population.
It will take a long time to get to the kind of scale that lowers prices.
It is true SpaceX is working on lowering prices, I was thinking about the next 10-15 years years. and I could be wrong on space travel and medicine.

I had Climate Change as inflationary as it has the potential to destroy a lot of things, which then need to be rebuilt or relocated, and because it impacts on food supplies.

Manufactured food production is deflationary because it can lead to higher volumes of lower priced food that can be produced consistently, regardless of weather patterns, location and seasons.

The basic drivers are :-
  • Abundance and innovation - deflationary
  • Scarcity, or low volume production - inflationary,

Elon doesn't chew the fat with national leaders. If he's offering to talk, it means he's thinking about something he wants. Could be a factory for Tesla, could be a launch center for SpaceX, who knows. And then you're involving yourself with The Impaler and that's inherently dangerous.

Not the first time Elon doing business in Russia. Remember he started SpaceX because he did not get the ICMB from Russia with good price at the first place. You are talking about a guy flew to Moscow to buy ICBM with cash ...

Not the first time Elon doing business in Russia. Remember he started SpaceX because he did not get the ICMB from Russia with good price at the first place. You are talking about a guy flew to Moscow to buy ICBM with cash ...
That was when he was nobody, and the Russians let him visit just so they could laugh at him. The way the Russians treated him left a bad taste in his mouth and on the return flight he started thinking that he could probably figure out how to build a rocket himself. A lot has happened since then...

A new video from WuWa and Giga Shanghai: Central Area Construction Progress\Tesla gigafactory 3

...has this exchange in the comments:

Andy Granger:
Happy Chinese New Year, Wuwa. By the way, which new building will be the R&D centre? Tom Zhu said this week it is under consruction at the factory.

WU WA:
Happy Chinese New Year,Andy Granger

Which neighbourhood are you referring to as an R&D centre? The battery R&D centre seems to be together with the charging pile factory, which is 6 km away from the factory. If it is the R&D centre of the whole Tesla Motors, at present, there are two large buildings under construction, one is located in the centre of the factory, and the other is the northeast site of the factory. The construction of Tesla's Shanghai factory has always been kept secret, and no exact information is available.

Nary a cross brace in sight other than in the roof!

The problem is that there is nothing out there for that time frame with those premiums. ie. Jun17'22 1725C are trading around $98.

Possible conclusion. Mr G YOLO'd on Jun19'21 1100C instead.
This has been explained already - it's not hard to understand. These stock options were granted by Tesla to Gracias for serving as a board member. The figures are the strike prices of the options which appear odd because, generally speaking, corporate option grants are given at a market average price at the time the options are granted. That likely means that when these were granted, the market price of TSLA was trading around $52.38 x 5 (because these were granted pre-split) = $261.90 (pre-split). Employee stock options like these usually have a pretty long expiration date and often come with a vesting period during which the recipient is not allowed to exercise them. These are NOT exchange traded options and when they are exercised, Tesla receives the $52.38 per share and issues newly issued stock to the grantee. Usually the grantee sells at least enough shares upon exercise to at least cover the taxes owed. In Gracias case, it sold nearly all of it, coming away a bit over $100 M Net (exclusive of taxes).

No retail investor will ever have access to options like this. I don't even think it's possible for a grantee to sell them as option contracts to another person.

Might be old news, but I just noticed the Model S order page has changed again. Highlights are:
New pic of long range vs plaid powertrain
B12A469A-29D2-4372-A8A0-B684AE9BF798.jpeg
0009A33C-8DA9-4553-8A81-40C620DA2F58.jpeg

More info on carbon sleeved rotors:
89A397E0-8C9F-403F-8118-87A80B474210.jpeg

Possible power folding rear seats?
B7519B59-2A34-4BA7-BBF6-76100AAAA02F.jpeg

Plaid badge:
A71C3D8D-2724-42DD-91B8-4FEA74D344EE.jpeg

I was hoping Elon would have done his Plaid follow up to the earnings call by now...

Edit: also says 4-8 weeks for Plaid and 6-12 for long range. Before it just said March.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's some speculative buying based on the mystery Berkshire Hathaway stake, rumored to be disclosed this weekend.
I agree with what @generalenthu posted. The delta on these options should be so low that they have effectively no influence on the stock movement.
What’s up with the large number of $10 and $20 strike monthly puts? Is that some type of window dressing to offset paper losses/gains?
More likely to be people trying to defer margin calls. Buying deep OTM puts offsets your exposure on other sold positions.
Reading through the thread today, I started thinking about these two speculative ideas: Is BH’s mysterious purchase actually TSLA and who bought ~300,000 Feb 19th $20 puts and ~300,000 Mar 19th $20 puts? In another thread ST_Lopes said that OTM puts might help offset trading margin. I’m a noob, so I definitely don’t know.

Anyway, is it a coincidence that those are monthly puts and they expire just a few days after the BH 13F is finally public. I’m not sure WHEN these were purchased, but since it’s a monthly, it’s likely they were purchased a long time ago. Calculating: 300,000 x 100 x $833.33 = $25B. Double that for the Mar 19 puts and we’re taking $50B protection. Whoa. WHO THE #$&% needs a $50B protective hedge? Only the biggest whales, like Berkshire. Perhaps BH bought in massively BEFORE the S&P announcement, and this is a hedge in case the inclusion didn’t happen. Crazy thoughts?

Elon is not soft to Chinese because of the economic benefit. Elon is objective toward China, he is not kowtowing to Chinese government. And Chinese government deserve credit for taking care of their people. And Elon is brave to see it and say it as it is.

Recently, Elon said that "Chinese government took better care of their people", but in the same speech less than half minutes later. He said he support Pres. Trump's trade policy to China to a certain degree because China had unfair trade advantage due to the tariff difference.

If one see how Chinese deal with the pandemic, one will know that Chinese is indeed take better care of their people.

I understand that Chinese did not handle Wuhan situation well at the beginning and the world is a mess now. But if one look at how USA handle the situation since March, 2020 when China's woe had played out in front of our eyes, we cannot totally blame others with our misfortune.

And please don't bring up the concentration camp in Xinjiang or human right violation in China. Or Chinese lack of freedom, or whatever. Let's just realize there is a big culture difference between American and Chinese and don't naturally belittle Chinese's effort in improving their life.

One example, in any city now, China has achieved 100% coverage of the video surveillance. Their facial recognition is used in many major public spaces and I guess everyone is recorded and analyzed. From western eye, this is a police state and major violation of the human's personal freedom and privacy. This I agree.

But Chinese view it differently, because there is virtually no pocket picker now since they get caught with the video all the time. They are also able to solve 20 years, 30 years non solved murder cases if there is a mug shot of the suspect 20, 30 years ago. The story tells that when the at large suspect got within an airport, or train station, they face was analyzed by advanced facial analysis algorithm, and compared with 20, 30 years ago mug shot and sometimes within as little as 5 minutes, the arresting policeman showed up. Chinese are willing to sacrifice personal individuality for the common good, while we value our personal individuality that even as simple a thing as wearing a mask because such a fuss.

We don't like it. But we cannot ridicule them to think this improve their life. And to some degree, it is very tempting for me to say that somehow I would like to sacrifice my privacy a little bit if we can catch 30 year murderers too.

Last edited:
View attachment 636589

OT
Photo by not-a-cyclist from marketing. Derailleur side up please, if you value your gears.
It looks like a rendering. I don't think you will see a full suspension with a triple, twisty cranks and small tightly spaced knobs that far up the sidewalls in real life. I could be wrong. Maybe 20 years ago...

4 year old long of tooth "modern design" for reference

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 8.34.46 PM.png

Reactions: Richard007
Yes, I agree with that.

Anything that makes things more abundant, cheaper or more efficient, is deflationary.
Solar power is naturally abundant, fossil fuels are limited in resource, and because difficulty in ramping extraction.

I had space travel and genetics as inflationary because they start out expensive and unavailable to the majority of the population.
It will take a long time to get to the kind of scale that lowers prices.
It is true SpaceX is working on lowering prices, I was thinking about the next 10-15 years years. and I could be wrong on space travel and medicine.

I had Climate Change as inflationary as it has the potential to destroy a lot of things, which then need to be rebuilt or relocated, and because it impacts on food supplies.

Manufactured food production is deflationary because it can lead to higher volumes of lower priced food that can be produced consistently, regardless of weather patterns, location and seasons.

The basic drivers are :-
  • Abundance and innovation - deflationary
  • Scarcity, or low volume production - inflationary,

How does employment fit into your thinking?

Reactions: Eugene Ash
View attachment 636589

OT
Photo by not-a-cyclist from marketing. Derailleur side up please, if you value your gears.
AND your carpet.

By the way, what on earth would be the benefit of powered seat recliners/raisers? The most frantic of car users alter that configuration how often? Twice, thrice a week? And in exchange for the dependability and simplicity of a gravity hook-and-latch you get the complexity of a motorized mechanism? This is not windows we're discussing here. I sincerely hope not to see such.

How does employment fit into your thinking?

Employment is tricky there are forces pulling in opposite directions:-
  • Aging population / eventual population decline - fewer workers.
  • Space and other new industries - more jobs
  • Africa/India improving living standards - larger global market, and more workers
  • Automation, Robots , AI - fewer workers required

Wil may need a UBI, unless it turns out there are enough jobs for everyone., the best hope for full employment is space travel and other new industries create a lot of new jobs.