Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chevron *facepalm*

I'm a little surprised too, I thought it would be XOM.
You’d think he’d invest in sustainabilty for his grandkids’ sake. But he disowned one and the other is on Toyota’s board of directors.
The personal attacks on Warren Buffett are shameful.

For more on this subject, I posted;
Interested in Utility Scale Renewables ? Delve into ERCOT
It is not exactly on-topic on this forum but obviously is highly relevant to all of us. TE can and already does play a significant part of the mitigating factors in Australia, for example.
Remember for all of us winterizing and summerizing are crucial parts of the Tesla mission that we often ignore.
"TE"?
Do you mean TX? WHEN I Searched TE it want to take me to Tesla...or TE Connectivity.

This moron FERC commissioner is on CNBC saying there's no way to know what's happened in Texas. "Maybe it's that renewables didn't show up or maybe it's gas". How are these clowns still in office and not replaced on day 1?

I could be wrong but the issue is within TX and FERC may not have much to do with it. I think the problem is that they did not want to pay the price for spot power once it hit $9,000/MW and just pulled the plug rather than pay the market price. A spot price squeeze. ENRON would have made a bundle.

Market pricing is a double edged sword. Cheap most of the time due to competition but VERY expensive at times. I don't think that trying to find an energy source to tag as the culprit is really going to ensure a more reliable future.

I could be wrong but the issue is within TX and FERC may not have much to do with it. I think the problem is that they did not want to pay the price for spot power once it hit $9,000/MW and just pulled the plug rather than pay the market price. A spot price squeeze. ENRON would have made a bundle.

Market pricing is a double edged sword. Cheap most of the time due to competition but VERY expensive at times. I don't think that trying to find an energy source to tag as the culprit is really going to ensure a more reliable future.
TX is isolated and deregulated on purpose, and that's fine, but everyone(including this FERC clown) knows that's the issue with this cold snap. They just don't want to say it because the oil & gas lobby that owns them doesn't want them to say it.

Ironically this will likely speed their already fastest transition to renewables because massive battery storage can now be valued as more than 4hr storage for wind or solar. Texas was going to win the race to 80% renewables, now they'll likely be much faster since there will be more room on the grid for renewables.

So to recap for me. What has been driving this market sell off these past few days? Market taking a breather from a couple of hot weeks? Treasuries?
The Texas grid is non existent and people are considering solar and battery and as we all know and the market well knows, there is no value in solar since its energy comes from the sun which is free.

The Texas grid is non existent and people are considering solar and battery and as we all know and the market well knows, there is no value in solar since its energy comes from the sun which is free.

Everyone knows the sun is just a bubble. It’s a ponzi scheme and when all the hydrogen is converted to helium it’s going to implode. Plus competition is coming from cold fusion reactors any day now... Time for Bill Gates & Michael Burry to short the sun.

TX is isolated and deregulated on purpose, and that's fine, but everyone(including this FERC clown) knows that's the issue with this cold snap. They just don't want to say it because the oil & gas lobby that owns them doesn't want them to say it.

Ironically this will likely speed their already fastest transition to renewables because massive battery storage can now be valued as more than 4hr storage for wind or solar. Texas was going to win the race to 80% renewables, now they'll likely be much faster since there will be more room on the grid for renewables.

This is just flat out WRONG.

Statistically speaking, the TX grid is just as reliable as any other grid in the USA:
https://www.nerc.com/pa/RAPA/PA/Performance Analysis DL/NERC_SOR_2020.pdf

I lived in TX for more than a decade, the fact is that this place is NOT prepared for temperatures below 20F, period. They just don't see them often, and if they do they are NOT sustained like they have been during this cold period, so the power generation facilities (FF, nuclear, and renewables) are not weatherized like they are further north.

I talked with a friend that lived in Dallas for 50 years, and he says he has only once seen it this cold for this long, and that was ~25 years ago. Grids are simply not built for these edge cases, period.

All grids have edge cases where they have problems: i.e. the Western grid was woefully unprepared this past summer for the drop in solar production due to skies filled with smoke for weeks on end.

EDIT - I do agree that TX will continue to lead the nation in the transition to renewables, but it won't have much to do with this cold snap. It will continue to be the pricing of renewable power, nothing more, nothing less.

If they learn to roll the blackouts with no risk to grid stability the price leverage goes away.

Tesla should sell a safe, easy rolling blackout battery module. It is the obvious and inexpensive way to “spot” the transition to renewables.

• Funny
Reactions: UncaNed